Home My YFS

Inspired cup comeback sees Drumsagard to the next round

Edina Hibs BC 2

Salkeld 12' McCole 20'

Drumsagard FAC 3

McBrearty 40' Dickson 76' Ryan 80+2'
  • Sunday, 22 November 2015
  • Jewel Park
  • Under 16´s
  • Scottish Youth Cup

Gregor Kerr | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

On a cold Sunday morning at Jewel Park it was Drumsagard FA that made the journey down the M8, as Edina Hibs welcomed them in the fourth round of the Scottish Youth FA Cup. It was played in freezing conditions, but the football on show kept the spectators warm throughout.
The opening stages of the match were tight, and chances were few and far between. On seven minutes, Drumsagard created the first opportunity, as Jamie McBrearty’s inswinging corner was met by the head of Joe Dickson. His effort was just wide of the target however.
Only a minute later Edina went up the other end as Johnathan Devers laid the ball off for Sean McCole. Unfortunately for the home side, he was crowded out before he could get his shot away.
There wasn't much between the sides until the opening goal came in the twelfth minute for Edina. Lewis MacKinnon stood on the right touchline, swung an inviting ball deep into the box and Matthew Salkeld got the touch, diverting the ball into the Drumsagard net and giving the Edinburgh side the lead.
Edina knew that a two-goal cushion was in sight, and they seized it only eight minutes later, thanks to some good pressure from McCole. He harried the defence, won the ball, raced through and had all the composure in the world to pass the ball to the side of the goalkeeper, doubling Edina’s advantage.
It had been all one-way traffic for a good period of the match until Drumsagard’s Lewis Ryan won the ball, broke down the wing and swung a teasing ball across the box. Unfortunately for him, there were no takers on this occasion.
Only a minute later Drumsagard had another good opportunity after they won a corner. The ball was put towards the net, but after a chaotic goalmouth scramble it was Rhys Kerr who cleared the ball off the goal line, as the away side fought their way back into the cup tie.
On thirty-five minutes Edina nearly found the possibly 'killer' third goal through Brandon Monteith. His shot wasn’t enough to beat James Faulds in goals though.
On the edge of half-time Drumsagard were handed a lifeline through McBrearty’s cross-cum-shot. Whatever it was, he and his teammates were delighted to see it, as the ball sailed over the keeper and right into the top corner, giving the away side hope just before the halfway mark.
  • Half Time:
  • Edina Hibs BC
  • 2-1
  • Drumsagard FAC
Drumsagard began the second half just how they finished the first, on the front foot. Their captain, Joe Dickson, picked up the ball immediately from the restart, beat a man, and hammered a solid effort just wide of the post.
In the forty-eighth minute they came even closer. Brian McLean won the rebound from the corner and aimed low towards goal, but an Edina body was there to heroically clear the ball off the line.
For the majority of the second-half it was Drumsagard who kept asking questions, although the formidable Brodie Kennedy in the Edina goal had the answers every time. This was especially when he had to make a smart save with his feet on fifty-two minutes from Dickson’s deflected effort.
The away side had a series of free-kicks, but were unable to utilise them in the goalscoring department, Mclean having a series of efforts parried away.
The Drumsagard skipper Dickson was pulling the strings in the defensive and creative zones in midfield, and he stood up bravely to take the spot kick with just four minutes remaining, as his side’s persistent pressure won a penalty. Dickson was in no mood for messing around, and stuck his penalty right into the far left corner.
Only two minutes before that, Edina could have finished off the game, as Monteith made a surging run down the wing, beating men left, right and centre, although Faulds was there to deny him a sensational goal.
Deep into injury-time, there was to be another dramatic twist. Drumsagard won the ball in midfield, and nothing looked to be on, at least that’s what everyone apart from Lewis Ryan thought. He let fly with a stunning effort from 25 yards, which dipped, swerved and touched off the bar before it landed into the back of the net. Ryan’s teammates swarmed him, as they celebrated what was an inspired cup comeback.
Edina didn’t let their heads sink, and they couldn’t afford to with mere minutes left to go. Everybody apart from the goalkeeper went up for one last corner, which was defiantly cleared away.
Edina could be proud of their showing, but it will be Drumsagard who progress into the last 16, after a comeback that could only be summarised with the term, 'magic of the cup'.
  • Full Time:
  • Edina Hibs BC
  • 2-3
  • Drumsagard FAC


Edina Hibs BC
Drumsagard FAC
1. Brodie Kennedy
2. Brandon Monteith
3. William Hay
4. Luca Crolla
5. Rhys Kerr
6. Jack Barrows
8. Stuart Hill
9. Matthew Salkeld
10. Johnathan Devers
11. Sean McCole
12. Taylor Regan
15. Lewis MacKinnon
16. Cameron McBeth
1. James Faulds
2. Jamie Neeson
3. Ewan MacLeod
4. Scott Finnieston
5. Jamie Main
6. Joe Dickson
7. Lawrence Hendry
8. Brian McLean
9. Lewis Ryan
10. Jamie McBrearty
11. Blane McDade
15. Steven Kennedy
17. Gary Beckett
23. Christopher McConnell
Star Player
Edina Hibs BC
Drumsagard FAC
Brodie Kenedy - Produced some stunning saves to keep his side in the match.
Joe Dickson - The captain pulled the strings throughout the tie, and showed great leadership to take and score a crucial penalty at 2-1 down.
Magic Moment
Edina Hibs BC
Drumsagard FAC
McCole's finish for Edina's second goal showed a great deal of composure.
Lewis Ryan's sensational last-minute winner was a moment he will never forget.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments