Print this page

Cove hold on for victory over Culter Deeside

Written by  Culter Deeside

Fixture: Cove BC Colts v Culter Deeside
Competition: ADJFA U19's "B" League
Date: 04/04/15
The game started well as Deeside looked to retain their unbeaten record and keep up the pressure on Newmachar. 
The early play was with Culter and Stewart had an early chance, although the ball fell awkwardly to him. 
However it was Cove who opened the scoring when against the run of play a forward found himself unmarked and finished well. 
Deeside fought back and Kieran came close, the Cove goal came under pressure from a couple of corners, and from a free kick the Cove keeper pulled off a good save from a header by Morgan. 
Then in a nightmare ten minutes Deeside found themselves three goals behind. First came a couple of scares where first Calum was forced to parry a shot and Conor headed clear and next as a long ball was not cleared. Then came Cove's third goal, from a good header from a corner (again). 
Deeside stabilised the situation for a while, with a fearless tackle from Conor on the half-way line breaking up a dangerous attack and then Matthew M winning the ball well and coming close. 
However Cove very soon got their third goal when they won the ball in midfield and went straight up the park to score. 
Deeside were not beaten, though, and within a few minutes had pulled it back to three one with a well-worked goal. Finlay fed the ball to Christian, who held it up then laid it on to Christian who forced it into the net. 
Not long after Finlay came close with a free kick. It was end to end for a while, with Fraser making a great saving tackle at the Deeside end and at the other first Stewart winning the ball and laying it on for Morgan to shoot narrowly past and then Matthew M making a great run and cross. 
However there was no more scoring and at half time it was three one.
Deeside were fired up from the restart and began strongly. 
Kieran made a strong solo run into the box but could not quite find space to get a shot off. 
Cove were briefly up the park and a surprise long-range effort brought a flying double save from Calum. 
Moments later Kieran again had it all to do himself in the box and was crowded out and for a time Culter piled on the pressure. 
But it was Cove who scored next, scrambling the ball in from zero feet to make it four one. 
It should have been all over but Deeside fought back and looked to have the ball in the net from a corner, but it must have been scooped off the line. 
Kieran then was fractionally under a great ball from a Finlay free-kick and headed just over. 
It was Kieran again moments later who ran into the box and held the ball up for Stewart, whose shot was saved by the Cove goalie. 
Stewart got the first of his goals shortly after, finishing beautifully to make it four two. 
Within a few minutes Stewart had his second, this one from a corner by Kieran, and it was four three and the fightback looked on. 
Deeside were throwing everything forward but for a crucial few minutes Cove were able to use their greater toughness to pin Deeside back and give themselves time to regroup. 
Calum made a good stop and Daniel cleared the rebound, and then Deeside were back on the attack. 
In a breathless few minutes Deeside came close from a scramble; Cove shaved the post with an unmarked header; Christian at full stretch was millimetres from a cross; a clever downward header from Finlay was held by the Cove keeper; and Matthew M rolled the ball neatly past the keeper only to see it cleared off the line. 
Right at the whistle Deeside bombarded the Cove goal and had several close misses from a series of corners and free kicks but despite it all the final score was four three.
Full Time : Cove BC Colts 4-3 Culter Deeside

Related items

Login to post comments