Home My YFS

Bluebells see off Colts in Pre-Season Cup Final

Dundonald Bluebells 2

Feeley 30, Carstairs 32

Dalbeath Colts 0

  • Wednesday, 10 December 2014
  • Kinross High School
  • Under 19´s
  • Domestic Supplies Pre-Season Cup

Matthew Sigsworth | YFS Fife Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Click here for YFS TV snapshot

Dundonald Bluebells emerged victorious over Dalbeath Colts in the final of the Domestic Supplies Under 19’s pre-season Cup on Wednesday night. Goals from Nathan Feeley and Gregor Carstairs sealed the win in freezing conditions at Kinross High School.

The game paired first with third from the league and both sides went into the match hoping their fine league form could continue with victory here.

It was Dundonald who applied the early pressure, forcing two corners in quick succession. The first was cleared by the Dalbeath defence, and from the second Lewis Scarlett was unlucky to head over from Max Colemans’ delivery.

Dalbeath however were quick to respond, and Gregg Page was almost played through on goal only to be denied by the onrushing Darryl Gear, who had an impressive evening between the sticks for the Bluebells.

In what was an even contest throughout, there were chances at both ends as each side searched for a breakthrough. First, Page played the ball to Liam Robertson, but the Dalbeath forward was thwarted by another save from Gear. From the resulting clearance, Dundonald almost scored themselves when Feeley saw an effort fizz past the post.

A throw in then almost brought the game an opening goal as Page found time and space, spinning his marker to race through on goal, but again Gear was in the right place to make the save.

Dundonald then spurned the best chance of the game up until then, when some great play on the right from Lewis Hutton resulted in a cross into the box which was spectacularly turned away by Colts ‘keeper Declan McGregor, and when the ball fell to a Dundonald player on the edge of the box their effort was sent sailing agonisingly over the bar.

It wasn’t long however before the game got the goal it deserved. A long ball over the top was headed back to McGregorby one of his defenders, but he was unable to hold onto it and Feeley was on hand to slot the ball home to put the Bluebells in front.

And it wasn’t long before Dundonald doubled their lead. A quick counter attack saw Carstairs played in on the overlap, and his right footed finish nestled into the bottom left hand corner to complete a quick fire double from the league leaders.

It could easily have been three before half time, when Raymond Crichton headed wide from a well taken free kick swung in from the right hand side. There were also chances for both Feeley and Coleman, with both players firing over from the edge of the area in quick succession. But as it was the score remained two nil at the half time break.  

  • Half Time:
  • Dundonald Bluebells
  • 2-0
  • Dalbeath Colts

The second half began in much the same way the first had ended, and a well worked team move almost saw Dundonald score the third goal that would have put the game to bed were it not for a fine save by McGregor.

Dalbeath had to try and stop the Bluebell tide, and they soon set about trying to claw a way back into the game.

First a corner fell to Kevin Crookston, but his shot was blocked by the Dundonald defence. But the leaders still looked dangerous, and Feeley went close with a right footed volley after turning from a throw in on the right hand side.

Dalbeath continued to knock on the Dundonald door as Liam Robertson popped up inside the area to latch onto a fine cross from the impressive Ryan Morrison, but his sublime flick came back off the post, and he had already been flagged for offside.  

Dalbeath had recovered from those two first half goals and were starting to push forward with renewed confidence in the second half, but the danger of the counter attack was always there and they were almost made to pay the price when Crichton was played clean through on goal, but he was denied by McGregor who kept his side in the game.

Liam Robertson then had the best chance for the Colts as his wonderful right footed effort beat Gear all ends up, only to hit the post and fall back into the grateful ‘keepers arms.

Dalbeath were now applying real pressure in search of a way back into the game, and Morrison almost profited from some neat one touch passing to find space in the box, but he couldn’t get the ball out from under his feet and Gear was able to come off his line to snuff out the danger.

Those two chances acted as a wakeup call for Dundonald, who were beginning to live dangerously with the score at two nil. They had another chance to put the game to bed as Jamie Leitch headed just wide from a corner, before Feeley took aim from a free kick just outside the penalty area; the ball diverted into the arms of McGregor via the wall.

As the game drew to a close and the wintery conditions worsened, Dundonald were eventually able to see the game out with relative ease. Dalbeath were unable to find a way back into the game, to leave the Bluebells dancing in the snow at the final whistle.

Click here for YFS TV snapshot

  • Full Time:
  • Dundonald Bluebells
  • 2-0
  • Dalbeath Colts


Dundonald Bluebells
Dalbeath Colts
1.Darryl Gear
2.Jamie Leitch
3.Lewis To
4.Craig Lawrence
6.Connor Findlay
7.Max Coleman
9.Nathan Feeley
10.Raymond Crichton
13.Gregor Carstairs
15.Neil Wallace
16.David Mitchell
17.Lewis Scarlett
18.Lewis Hutton
33Shaun Barrnet
20.Declan McGregor
2.Jordan Brown
3.Lewis Adie
4.Ross Ellis
5.David Mason
6.Ryan Jeffrey
7.Gregg Page
8.Ryan Morrison
9.Liam Robertson
10.Scott Morrison
11.Ryan Cowie
12.Ian Walsh
14.Lewis Hynde
15.Scott McDonald
16.Sam Gallagher
17.Kevin Crookston
Star Player
Dundonald Bluebells
Dalbeath Colts
Nathan Feeley - Scored the first goal and had a hand in most of his teams attacks throughout the night. A shout out also has to go to Darryl Gear in goal for some fine saves!
Ryan Morrison - Was lively in a much improved second half performance from his team. Could easily have bagged a goal on a different day.
Magic Moment
Dundonald Bluebells
Dalbeath Colts
Gregor Carstairs second goal coming so quick after his sides first to put them firmly in control.
Liam Robertson smashing one against the post in the second half. Had it gone in then it would have set up an interesting final twenty minutes!
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments