Home My YFS

St Peters too strong for Cramond as they advance into next round

Cramond FC 0

St Peters BC 5

Burns 22, McLean 27, Burns 52, McKay 61, McKay 73
  • Sunday, 16 November 2014
  • Davidsons Mains Park
  • Under 16´s
  • Scottish Youth FA Cup

Chris Grieve | YFS South East Region Journalist

The Scottish Cup fourth round came to Davidsons Mains Park for the first time but it was the away team who came out on top on a cold Sunday afternoon. A fine display of passing from St Peters secured the win and cemented their place in the draw for the next round.

The match kicked off right on time and straight away St Peters settled into a steady passing rhythm which was to remain for most of the game. They fashioned the first real chance of the afternoon when a good through ball saw the initial shot hit the bar before the follow up was blocked at the expense of a corner.

St Peters began to really assert their passing game and as a result created several good chances. Firstly Jay Little saw his shot from a cutback well saved by Sam Phillip in the Cramond goal before Little became provider for Matthew McLean to fire a shot goalwards with a similar outcome.

It was one-way traffic at this stage as St Peters pushed for the opening goal. Fraser Burns came the closest when he was played in behind the Cramond defence by Cameron Hambleton, only to see his fierce shot come crashing off the inside of the post and cleared to safety.

Cramond responded with some good play in the midfield but the final ball was too far in front of Mark MacKay. There were signs though that the ball over the top of the St Peters defence could be the key to the breakthrough for the home side but good covering defence blocked any shots which could otherwise have tested Ryan McLaren in the St Peters goal.

You could feel that the game was opening up a bit and that a goal wasn't too far away. Sure enough it was delivered by St Peters. Haydn Stewart whipped a good ball into the box which fell perfectly for Burns to turn a low shot into the bottom corner. A well worked goal which lifted the confidence of the visitors.

Having made the breakthrough St Peters continued to press and doubled their lead within minutes. Some good, quick passing released Matthew McLean down the wing before the fullback cut into the box and unleashed a low powerful shot across the keeper into the far bottom corner. St Peters fully deserving of their incisive two goal lead.

Cramond did well to steady the ship after the two quick goals and they built a chance of their own. A free kick was awarded on the edge of the St Peters box. MacKay stepped up to curl the ball over the wall towards the bottom corner but McLaren managed to get across to save it.

That proved to be the last action of the first half in which the visitors had controlled the majority of. Cramond did well to come back towards the end of the half but the two goals looked to have St Peters in a commanding position.

  • Half Time:
  • Cramond FC
  • 0-2
  • St Peters BC

The second half started in much the same fashion as the first. St Peters continued where they left off and created the first couple of chances. Little wriggled free of the defence and drove a strong shot towards Phillips in the Cramond goal but the keeper was equal to it and beat the shot away.

Morgan Duncan was the next to try and test the home keeper but his shot slid wide of the near post.

Cramond were doing well in defence to limit the chances for St Peters by getting important challenges in and clearing any dangerous crosses into the box but eventually the visitors added to their lead. The ball broke kindly to Burns on the edge of the box and his deflected shot found its way into the net.

Despite the three goal deficit Cramond continued to look for the breakthrough which could spark a comeback and they were managing to contain St Peters well, however lady luck was not on their side. A clearance was blocked at the edge of the Cramond box and the ball fell perfectly for Ross McKay to stroke a simple finish across the keeper.

That goal could’ve knocked the stuffing out of Cramond but credit to the home side who continued in their endeavours. Some nice passing on the wing released Mark MacKay but his powerful run and shot escaped the far post.

There was still time for St Peters to add further gloss to the scoreline. A good cross into the box was half cleared but the second ball found Ross McKay in the six-yard box and he tucked the ball home.

St Peters continued to push forwards and the impressive Burns almost grabbed his hattrick. He found some space on the edge of the box but his potent shot was well saved by Phillips before the rebound was knocked wide of the far post.

All in all a difficult afternoon for Cramond who were committed right up to the final whistle but it was St Peters who prevailed on this occasion. A strong passing philosophy will ensure a difficult tie for whoever they draw in the next round. 

  • Full Time:
  • Cramond FC
  • 0-5
  • St Peters BC


Cramond FC
St Peters BC
1. Sam Phillip
2. Finlay Veitch
3. Dylan Welsh
4. Fraser Rillay
5. Sam Weir
7. Jake Beckett
8. Ryan Printy
9. Mark MacKay
10. Callum Dixon
11. Dylan McGhee
12. Dylan Wood
14. Jordan O'Hagan
15. Ryan Brown
16. Jack Hunter
19. John Shand
1. Ryan McLaren
2. Matthew McLean
4. Niall Herron
5. Cameron Finlay
6. Morgan Duncan
7. Jack McWilliam
8. Haydn Stewart
9. Bradley Rae
10. Fraser Burns
11. Steven Fergusson
12. Ross McKay
14. Blair Grey
15. Cameron Hambleton
16. Louis Fisher
17. Thomas Cruden
19. Jay Little
Star Player
Cramond FC
St Peters BC
Sam Phillip. The keeper was unlucky with some of the goals but he made several crucial saves to keep Cramond in the match.
Fraser Burns. He had a decent game and contributed two goals for his team as well as laying on good chances for others. Was unlucky not to get a hattrick with the shot off the post.
Magic Moment
Cramond FC
St Peters BC
It was a difficult match for Cramond but they showed glimpses of class. Late on in the game there was a great interchange of passes which allowed MacKay a run on goal but the final shot just escaped the away goal.
The second goal for St Peters was well worked down the left hand side with a good passage of passing. The finish from McLean was excellent, low and hard across the keeper.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments