Home My YFS

Norries victorious after cup final thriller against Dalbeath

Rosyth Norries 2

Moffat, Allwood

Dalbeath Colts 2

Penman, Kay
  • Final Result: Rosyth Norries 2-2 Dalbeath Colts (Rosyth win 5-4 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 04 May 2014
  • Kirkcaldy YM
  • Under 16´s
  • AFYFC Spring Cup - Final
Author: Garry Evans
A noisy crowd turned up Denbeath Park in Kirkcaldy to watch a thrilling cup final between Division 2 title contenders Rosyth Norries and Division 1’s Dalbeath Colts, even the few rain showers couldn’t dampen their enthusiasm. Both teams have had mixed fortunes this season, and were both fired up to take the AFYFC Spring Cup. 
The game kicked off Dalbeath taking control of the ball well and holding possession, Rosyth Norries appeared a little nervous initially.
Jordan Rannie for Colts shot from just outside the Rosyth keepers left side of his box but the ball was comfortably held my Keenan Lewis, despite goal line pressure from Colts Jordan McKenzie to keep the score at deadlock.
Rosyth tried to get into the game with Jack Ritchie battling through on the left flank trying to get forward, Colts however were just too strong for the Rosyth team. The first shot from Rosyth came from Ben Adam, trying his luck from about 25 yards but wide of the mark
Colts pressure and control of the match came down to sheer tenacity and skill that playmaker Kerr Penman showed in trying to give his team a scoring advantage, Penman was always weaving in between the Rosyth players and he got his goal with was thoroughly deserved with a shot that had Rosyth Keeper Lewis beaten easily and the ball nestling nicely in the keeper's right hand corner, 1-0 to Dalbeath Colts.
Rosyth were desperate to get back into the match and the tall Cameron Smith started a run up the left hand channel, crossing towards teammate Jack Moffat, however the ball was cleared for a corner. The corner was taken and again Moffat was the target, getting in front of Colts keeper Jamie Bird, but the ball was just over Moffat’s head and caught well by Bird.
It was apparent that another goal would come soon, Colts were dominating play and Rosyth were still stuck in second gear, Mitchell Kay won the ball in his own half after tussling with Josh Wilson, his run down the right channel was impressive, as was his shot which beat keeper Keenan Lewis, slipping under the keeper's body as he dived for the ball. And within 18 mins it was two nil in Dalbeath's favour.
That second Colts goal seemed to be just the kickstart that Rosyth needed, the next twenty mins saw Rosyth pile on the pressure seeking a goal to bring them right back into this final, Colts however were content to sit on their lead and play on the counter attack. Lee Barclay coming close but his off balanced header was well saved by Lewis. The game was then stopped as Barclay had injured his shoulder,
Morgan Bennell tried his luck with a shot that was blocked, before Penman the star player of the Colts team hit a shot over the bar.
Rosyth’s Adam & Moffat started to combine well, the hard working two some of Bernard and Ritchie offering supporting runs and playmaking helped as Rosyth started to take hold of possession. 
Colts had chances, Captain Darrin Hilton working tirelessly to try and motivate his players and working his channel, trying to keep Ritchie at bay, but Rosyth just kept on pressing.
Both coaching teams were out on the touchlines trying to urge their teams on, Colts boss Colin Bird barking out instructions about the shape, Matt Lewis’s team however listened to his encouragement and upped the ante. Moffat had a few shots just wide of the target, before coming even closer hitting the crossbar. Before Bernard was fouled 27 yards out from the Colts goal, his free kick however went just wide. 
The crowd knew and so did the players there was going to be another goal, Rosyth’s Moffat picking up the ball, and despite three Dalbeath players trying to get the ball off him, he placed it low in the keepers left hand corner of the net, it was now 2-1 to Colts and game on!
Norries tails were up and Moffat set off on another run, breaking free from his marker and trying to play the ball to Adam, but the pass was blocked by a Colts player who then went on to be fouled by Horstman, relieving Colts of the Norries pressure.
Penman continued to be the Colts next chance of a goal, tirelessly working away to make some magic happen for Colts, but again coming up against the formidable  
Norries defence who had now settled and were playing as a unit.
Ben Adam was next to try his luck, his shot from the edge of the 18 yard box being saved by Jamie Bird, just as the first half whistle blew.
  • Half Time:
  • Rosyth Norries
  • 1-2
  • Dalbeath Colts
Dalbeath Colts kicked off the second half determined to retake control of the game that had been pretty even in terms of possession in the first half, and a long throw from Mitchell Kay towards Penman nearly resulted in a dream start for Colts, however Penmans diving header was well saved by Lewis.
After that early scare it seemed to be all Norries, Smith and Ritchie combing well to kick start yet even more lung bursting runs. Colts Lee Cook was up next to try and penetrate the Norries defence, but he kept running into Andrew Austin and the hard working Reece Bernard. Cook was then spoken to by the referee after a challenge on Josh Wilson, who was also having an impressive game.
Horstman soon made way for Aaron Brown as Norries decided to gamble with a more attacking formation, Colts started to make more and more mistakes, and coach Colin Bird decided to make his first change to try and slow the Rosyth team down a little, putting on Callum Carr for Niall McGurk.
The change nearly paid off as Penman had a beautiful strike at Norries goal, the keeper knew nothing about it but was thankful that it was inches wide.
The impressive Ben Adams soon made way for Calum Foster as Norries went for broke, hoping that some fresh legs would spur the team on. And it did, as Norries won a spot kick, Later on the referee told me that the player who committed the foul took nothing of the ball and took out the player.
The tall Greg Allwood stepped up to take the resulting spot kick, and calmly slotted the ball low and hard in the keeper's right hand corner, nothing that keeper Bird could do about it.
2-2 and what a game this was turning out to be.
Ritchie then saw the yellow card raised above his head as he was booked for a professional foul, then finding himself replaced almost immediately by Sean Crawford in order to keep 11 players on the park as the game started to reach fever pitch.
The game carried on till full time with both teams battling for every ball, with Norries keeping the bulk of possession and chances trying to go for the kill. 
Norries player Aaron Brown was injured and made his way to hospital after the game, after the match it was found that his season has come to an end after he strained knee ligaments in an accidental challenge.
  • Full Time:
  • Rosyth Norries
  • 2-2
  • Dalbeath Colts

Extra time so both teams go into battle for the winner with Norries dominating the first period of extra time whilst Colts took charge of the second, but despite chances galore and some needless fouls it ended in a stalemate and so penalties were going to decide the fate of this final.

Both teams were sharp from the spot. Foster, Horstman, Allwood and Smith all scored for Norries. Hilton, McGurk, Bennell and Kay found the net for Dalbeath.

However, amongst the nine successful penalties was one save - a good stop by Lewis of Rosyth Norries. This gave Reece Bernard the chance to hit the winning penalty, which he did before wheeling away to celebrate with his team mates.

A memorable cup final, which had a bit of everything. Well done to both teams for the part they played.

Final Result: Final Result: Rosyth Norries 2-2 Dalbeath Colts (Rosyth win 5-4 on penalties)


Rosyth Norries
Dalbeath Colts
Kenan Lewis
Greg Allwood
Ben Adam
Jack Ritchie
Reece Bernard
Cameron Smith
Sam Horstman
Callum Rogers
Andrew Austin
Aaron Brown
Calum Foster
Josh Wilson
Scott Ferguson
Sean Crawford
Jack Moffat
Jamie Bird
Lee Barclay
Mitchell Kay
Callum Carr
Darrin Hilton
Kerr Penman
Lee Cook
Jordan Rannie
Jordan MacKenzie
Ryan Davidson
Niall McGurk
Connor Martin
Morgan Bennell
Dylan Hopkins
Logan Kay
Star Player
Rosyth Norries
Dalbeath Colts
Jack Moffat was my star player For the Norries, battling consistently and scoring the first goal for the Norries, always showed character.
Kerr Penman, master of trickery and always looking to take the initiative to push on for his team.
Magic Moment
Rosyth Norries
Dalbeath Colts
For Norries it was the save by Keenan Lewis in the penalty shootout, keeping so calm and psyching out the opposition.
Kerr Penman's opening goal, the trickery he showed to carve himself an opening was a joy to watch.
Club Views
Rosyth Norries
Dalbeath Colts
Rosyth manager Matt Lewis said: “We started slow but the boys dug in deep, Both Kevin and I are proud of the character that the boys showed to dig in deep and grind out the two goals to take us into Extra Time and then the penalties. The boys who took penalties took them very well and of course it was a cracking save from Keenan who gave us the advantage.”
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments