Home My YFS

10 man Locos dig deep to reach Scottish Cup final

Colony Locos 2

Duguid 1, 51

FC Bonnybridge 1

Manson 80
  • Sunday, 06 April 2014
  • Harlaw Park, Inverurie
  • Under 19´s
  • TWS Scottish Youth FA Cup - Semi Final

Scott McPherson | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

There will be a North Region representative at this year’s TWS Scottish Youth FA Cup final weekend after Colony Locos beat FC Bonnybridge 2-1 to book their place in the Under 19 final. Colony striker Alex Duguid was the hero, scoring a goal in each half to secure the victory. Bonnybridge’s Darren Manson pulled a goal back late on but it wasn’t enough to force extra time. That was only half the story though. Colony had to play more than half this semi-final with a man less after defender Phillip Woodgreaves was sent off in the 35th minute for a second bookable offence.
Locos will now face Barrhead YFC in the final in Airdrie on Saturday 24th of May. Barrhead overcame Ballieston Juniors 5-3 after extra-time in their semi-final.
The match was played out in front of nearly 300 spectators at Harlaw Park and there was an almost tangible sense of anticipation and tension in the air before kick-off. But if that tension had spilled through to the Colony Locos’ players they did a super job of hiding it.
The Inverurie side started the game on the front foot and they were rewarded for their fast start within two minutes. Joe Burr’s cross from the right found lone striker Alex Duguid wide open in the middle of the penalty area and he dually slotted the ball into the net from 10 yards. 
As Duguid reeled away to celebrate his goal you could hear the majority of the crowd take a conscious sigh of relief while thinking to themselves: “Well, this is going to plan”.
Colony were radiating confidence and they threatened to double their lead immediately when good build up by Daniel Crisp saw Kieran Lawrence’s cross-shot go marginally wide. 
The hosts continued to be in the ascendency but failed to score a second goal during that time. 
Bonnybridge were always going to grow into the contest and they shot a warning fire after half an hour. Josh Taplin chested the ball and volleyed it off the crossbar from 16 yards.
If that wasn’t enough encouragement for the visitors then they were given even more five minutes later. Locos defender Phillip Woodgreaves had already been booked when he dived in recklessly at the feet of an opponent 30 yards from goal. He knew and everyone in the ground knew that referee James Hunter had little choice but to show him the card.
Colony had started the match in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Crisp in the number 10 role. After Woodgreaves’ sending off Crisp dropped back into centre defence and Colony went 4-4-1.
  • Half Time:
  • Colony Locos
  • 1-0
  • FC Bonnybridge
Bonnybridge would have been buoyed by that sending off and I’m sure manager Steve Howie would have told his players at half-time to make their numerical advantage count and get on the front foot. 
That plan took a turn for the worse when Colony were awarded a penalty after 51 minutes when Grant Dawson was bundled over in the 18-yard box. Duguid stepped up and shot low to the ‘keeper’s right, sending him the wrong way in the process.
Colony then had something substantial to hold on to but despite that, they continued to create the better chances on the counter attack. First Dawson and then Duguid were denied at close range by the feet of Bonnybridge goalkeeper Vic Nelson.
Bonnybridge hadn’t got going in the second half either until 15 minutes from time when they realised they were running out of time. 
They did score out of nowhere 10 minutes from time. Jamie Kennedy’s in swinging cross from the left evaded everyone until Darren Manson prodded in from four yards at the back post.
This unsurprisingly set up a very tense and nervy last 10 minutes for the home supporters.
Bonnybridge’s best and last chance came a couple of minutes from time when Andrew Kay chipped a delightful ball to the back post but Harry Extance failed to make any real contact otherwise extra time would have been necessary. 
In the end it wasn’t and Colony fully deserved their victory and their cup final place. Despite playing over 55 minutes with 10 men, they were rarely troubled.
During a cup run teams will face knockbacks and adversity. Colony showed today – winning with 10 men – and in the last round – winning on penalties – that they have the fight and the stomach to overcome those knockbacks. 
  • Full Time:
  • Colony Locos
  • 2-1
  • FC Bonnybridge


Colony Locos
FC Bonnybridge

2. Lukas Kennedy
3. Scott Abel
4. Euan Abel
5. Phillip Woodgreaves
6. Grant Dawson
7. Joe Burr
8. Daniel Crisp
9. Greg Wood
10. Alex Duguid
11. Michael Watson
12. Dean Henderson
14. Matthew Battensby
17. Kieran Lawrence
19. Craig Turriff
20. Mitchell Reid22. Jordan Garrow

1. Vic Nelson
2. Thomas Hall
5. Lovemore Damba
6. Andrew Kay
7. Jamie Kennedy
8. Harry Extance 
9. Josh Taplin
10. David Clark
11. Andrew Ballantine
12. Garri Duncan
14. Dean Kenny
15. Dillon Wilson
16. Darren Manson
17. Grant Wood
18. Andrew Carrel

Star Player
Colony Locos
FC Bonnybridge
Daniel Crisp started in the number 10 role but struggled to get into the game. He moved to centre back after the sending off and was superb when his team really needed him. It's hard changing positions mid game but he was brilliant. He made a number of crucial blocks and interceptions.
Jamie Kennedy started left back and moved to centre back in the second half and was equally good in both positions. He also created his team's goal with his dangerous in swinging cross.
Magic Moment
Colony Locos
FC Bonnybridge
Alex Duguid's early first goal was a real nerve-settler and had a positive influence on the remainder of Colony's performance.
Phillip Woodgreaves' sending off. Bonnybridge must have thought their opponents going down to ten men would swing the game in their favour.
Club Views
Colony Locos
FC Bonnybridge
Alan Calder, Colony Locos boss said: "It was a horrible game to watch with us playing with 10 men with 75 minutes still to play, I thought we defended absolutely tremendously, Daniel Crisp came back from going forward and was immense in his central defence role, I thought he was absolutely superb.

"More than anything, I'm just feeling relieved, these games have started to affect us in league games when your over-thinking everything and i'm just delighted to get the right result.

"People think we play better on a 3G surface because we play on that type of pitch, we came out and started well and played, it was our best bit of football all day and it got us our rewards."

"Phillip Woodgreaves had 2 tackles that I've seen players getting booked for, the problem is that I feel sorry for Phil because he started very well, it was more credit to the boys that they were able to react after that."
Stevie Howie, FC Bonnybridge manager said: "To be perfectly honest, I thought we started really slow and Colony probably deserved their lead, I thought it was complete domination right up until half time and I thought half time came too early for us.

"It probably was a penalty for their second goal and I thought it was complete domination again from Bonnybridge after that, if I was their manager then I'd be delighted. What we've got to remember is every boy in this Bonnybridge team is still a 1996 birthday."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments