Home My YFS

DUSC Girls too Strong for their Bayside counterparts

Written by 


Bayside Girls
Under-13 East Region League Cup
Pitrevie, Dunfermline
29 March 2014
The game started slow, with United enjoying more possession playing a short passing game. The Bayside girls were putting in some good defending, mostly at crucial times, with Petrie in particular impressing in the tackle early on. Captain Wilson played further forward than usual to cover the main United threat. United made it hard for Bayside to get through them and up into their half, with Dewar busy having to cover as an unrehearsed wing back. Youngest player on the pitch Allan was asked to outmuscle opposition 2-3 years older as todays starting centre forward and Smith was left to be isolated on the Bayside right as United took the game to Bayside on their right, Baysides left. Before long, United deservedly took the lead with an absolute wonder goal from 15 yards out. The ball flew perfectly into the top corner and smacked off the inside of the goal support junction and back out. Probable contender for goal of their season already!

Bayside struggled to settle into a rhythm with unforced errors and hopeful long balls hinting that the girls were more nervous today than the week before. United demonstrated great shape and marked well, making it hard for our girls in sky blue to play how they have in recent weeks.
With the game still young, United took advantage of poor defending to extend their lead.

Bayside did not let their heads drop and Smith countered well from a failed DUSC free kick to drive up the right. Despite trying twice to get the ball through, nobody was there to take advantage and United breathed a sigh of relief. As the game approached 15 minutes played, Dewar, who had battled hard with success on the left, made way for Gillan. Gillan brought impetus to the attack straight away.
The game started to become an even contest and defending improved. With 19 minutes played, Gillan played a brilliant through ball to Smith who ran through well to test the keeper low from distance to earn a corner. Smith took the corner well but a lack of hustle and bustle from Bayside in the United box made the keepers initial palm out easy to collect at the second attempt.
A couple of minutes later, Bryson ran well up the right to earn Bayside yet another corner, but Smiths driven ball was caught. Shortly after, United scuffed the cross bar from a free kick. As the game became more physical, Bayside picked up two free kicks. The first was an attempt at goal from Allan, that drifted over the top right corner, while the second appeared to be a mishit from Smith from just under 20 yards that went wide.
Half Time: Bayside Girls 0-2 Dundee United SC
Bayside came out for the second half looking to get back into the game, and straight away they were given hope of a come back when good work from Allan and Gillan resulted in the ball arriving at the feet of Bryson who calmly finished well into the far corner.

Hopes of getting a quick equaliser were almost immediately dashed, United taking advantage of a mix up at the back to score.

Some bruising challenges, elbows, nudges and shoves started to come thick and fast. Neither team was playing what could be described as dirty football, but commitment was there to see and the will to win was at times making the game a scrappy battle.

Allan almost made it 3-2 when her free kick hit the bar and went over and out. A feeling that the other side of the bar and in would have been fair given team performance was expressed from the sides. The girls were to get a slap in the face instead though when United attacked straight after this, jogging through the defense to make it 4-2

Just after the restart, Smith did what she could from the left collecting well and running onwards to side step her marker and send a fast powerful shot low into the keepers legs from 12 yards out. Gillan stretched to get to the rebound, but could only connect so that the ball chipped over the bar.
Smith then had another good shot at goal which rebounded to Gillan who again just couldn't quite convert.
Smith was then to find herself finish up for the day with 10 of the 2nd half played due to rotation making way for Dewars return to the game.
A frustrating 15 minutes as a spectator lay in store for Smith, who no doubt watched and wondered in between keep up practices just 7 days since she found the net 5 times for her team. Bayside earned a free kick shortly after this change, which probably should have been a penalty. The hard work earning it was to pay off as Gillan confidently stepped up to fire into the net despite a united wall between her and the goal.

That was to be the last high for Bayside however, 2 more instances of poor defending were punished by the industrious girls in bright orange to make the result definite. United changed their shape and tactics throughout the second half which made life hard for Bayside who kept theirs the same, and while 6-2 did not accurately reflect play, United took their chances and went home deserved winners. 
Full Time: Bayside Girls 2-6 Dundee United SC
Login to post comments