Home My YFS

Club '83 set up Semi-Final with Broughty

Written by 


Club '83 FC
Monifieth Athletic FC
U14's Mac Brown Cup 1/4 Final
19 February 2014
This quarter final clash pitted Club '83 against their closest rivals in the DDYFA Watson McInally League, Monifieth. After a few abandonments due to bad weather anticipation was high for this fixture, not least because Monifieth had won the only previous outing this season between the two.
So, stakes were high for this quarter-final clash and the obvious commitment both teams demonstrated from the kick-off only highlighted this fact further.
However, Club '83 soon began to dominate and pass the ball with ease and could possibly have been three up within the first ten minutes. Their wastefulness in front of goal was punished when, against the run of play, Monifieth slotted home from a re-bound off Club '83's goalkeeper Jack Gray - Club '83 protested strongly that their keeper had been fouled in the build up, but the goal stood.
Club '83 continued to dominate the game and within 10 minutes had equalised via an unstoppable 30 yard thunderbolt from Center Back Ryan Scobie. Monifieth's keeper felt aggrieved that the ball had taken a slight deflection off one of his own defenders, but from the moment the ball left Scobie's left peg there was little doubt where the ball would end up.
The next ten minutes saw Club '83's dominance increase and it only looked a matter of time before they would go in front, and so it was to be just before the half-time whistle as Club '83's Kier Caldwell took matters into his own hands. Kier dispossessed a Monifieth defender near the corner flag out on the right, cut back, and from the corner of the 18-yard box unleashed a rocket into the top left corner of the net - an incredible goal and surely a contender for 'goal of the season'.
Half Time: Club ‘83 2-1 Monifieth Athletic
The second half quickly became a highly charged physical encounter with Monifieth pushing hard, but never seriously troubling the Club '83 defence. The game continued at a fast pace, but was punctuated by many niggling fouls from both sides.
Mid-way through the half Club '83 lost their center back after the referee took action after an off-the-ball incident and this understandably put Monifieth on the front foot, however Club '83 stood firm and their goalkeeper continued to enjoy a quiet afternoon.
Monifieth were only able to keep their numerical advantage for a further 10 minutes before the referee sent one of their players off; from then on Club '83 comfortably saw the game out.
A good solid victory for Club '83. It was a hard fought encounter, but a comfortable victory for all that. The two sides will meet again later in the season which, depending on results, could end up as a league decider.
This weekend sees the Mac Brown Cup Semi-Final between Club '83 and Broughty; the winner will meet Forfar in the final... 
Full Time: Club ‘83 2-1 Monifieth Athletic
Login to post comments