Home My YFS

Late Don's comeback can't halt Dundee

Written by 


Aberdeen Select
Dundee Select
U15's SSFA National Trophy - Quarter Final
Venue: Spain Park, Aberdeen
05 February 2014
Aberdeen Select hosted Dundee Select on Tuesday evening at Spain Park for what proved to be a thrilling spectacle.
Despite home advantage it was the vistors who showed first when Mooney was sent through only to see Wood block his effort for a corner which was cleared. 
The opening twenty minutes were even with both keepers keeping the game goaless. Aberdeen might have gained a spot kick when Odlin appeared to be obstructed, however the referee did not award the foul.
On the half hour mark, Jarvie continued his fine form in goal and managed to deny Carroll as he burst through and just seconds later, Mooney found himself clear but was crowded out by the defence.
Five minutes from the interval and Dundee nearly scored. A long ball from Mooney to Carroll was cleared for a corner and when the kick came across, it found Faulkner. His fierce drive hit the crossbar and unfortunately for Dundee bounced over and away from danger.
Aberdeen came close in the closing moments of the first half when Milne profited on a defensive error, but he couldn't get enough strength behind his shot to beat the keeper.

Half Time: Aberdeen Select 0 - 0 Dundee Select

In the second half Fitzsimmons was causing Aberdeen problems on the left and when he gained a free kick, MacKenzie’s cross was just able to be cleared by the Aberdeen defence. The winger then sent Anderson clear and Jarvie had to be out very smartly from his goal to block the danger.
The visitors were not to be denied for long though and in twelve minutes they took the lead. More trickery from Mooney saw him feed Carroll and the full-backs shot went over Jarvie and into the corner of the net.
On 22 minutes Dundee doubled their advantage. Anderson broke away and then passed inside to Carroll who's shot went under Jarvie.
Aberdeen looked to have lost their last chance to score when a great Silvers cross saw Milne head wide with only minutes to spare.
However, on 78 minutes good work in the box between Milne and Cumming saw the latter slide the ball under Beattie’s body to reduce the deficit.
Urged on by the enthusiastic crowd, Cumming broke on the left again two minutes later and with onyl seconds to go was flattened in the box. The referee awarded the penalty and an opportunity for Aberdeen to seal a remarkable comeback. Moultrie stepped up to the mark and his cool finish saw the sides level. 

Full Time: Aberdeen Select 2 - 2 Dundee Select 

The game went to penalties and Dundee were first to take.
Finnie scored well for Dundee as did Moultrie with the home side’s opener. There then followed a dozen more kicks which saw, in spite of Jarvie’s brave stop, Dundee move into the semi finals by five goals to four after the shoot out.  
Penalties: Aberdeen Select 4 - 5 Dundee Select
Login to post comments