Home My YFS

Monifieth stay top after strong derby victory

Monifieth Athletic 4

Gregor Dewar 8, Cameron Robertson 44, 74, Ross McKay 47

Ferry Athletic 0

  • Monday, 16 December 2013
  • Riverview Park
  • Under 19´s
  • Presidents League

Michael Colville | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

It was a windy day at Riverview Park, but Monifieth were still keen on keeping up there tremendous form by defeating rivals Ferry Athletic. The league leaders Monifieth were keen to carry on their winning streak, but Ferry need to avenge their defeat at home earlier this season. 
The game kicked off with a great start, as both teams were fighting for possession. The players were fired up and getting stuck in, trying to get an early chance.
It was Monifieth who came out on top though, as they made a quick break through. With a swift passing move, Gregor Dewar received the ball just inside the box. Dewar then coolly placed the ball back in the net with a brilliant finish, putting Monifieth in the lead in the 8th minute. 
Ferry were still pressing for a goal, but Monifieth were defending well and started to pass the ball around well. David Hutton was nearly through on goal but Monifieth defender Gregor Smith made a strong tackle and cleared the danger away. Hutton also had another chance with a long range effort in the 16th minute but Greg Sturrock handled it well. 
Monifieth were starting to create plenty of chances, as they were putting a lot of pressure on the Ferry defence with quick attacks. Ferry were struggling to handle Gregor Dewar’s fast paced runs on the wing, in the 27th minute Dewar beat two players with great speed and then dribbled into the box but was tackled before he could play it into the centre. Not long after Dewar was close again as he cut through the defence with great speed, and then unleashed a shot on goal which went narrowly wide.
Monifieth looked to be in control of the game, as they were dangerous every time they attacked. Adeel Ahmed was strong in the midfield for Ferry, and Craig Madden was making crucial tackles in defence, but Monifieth were passing the ball around with ease and looked like they could score more. 
Not long before half time, Monifieth increased their lead to 2-0 through Cameron Robertson. The ball fell to Robertson who turned well on the ball then superbly placed it past the keeper giving Monifieth a good lead as the first half was over. Monifieth settled into the game well, their passing really helped them take control of the game as Ferry were struggling to get into the match. 
  • Half Time:
  • Monifieth Athletic
  • 2-0
  • Ferry Athletic
The second half kicked off, and it wasn’t long before Monifieth made it 3-0. Monifieth made a quick break early on, and Ross McKay beautifully smacked the ball into the back of the net from just outside the box.
From them on, Monifieth were on top of their game. They stroked the ball around confidently, and continued to search for another goal. Ferry weren’t ready to give up though and continued to try and press for another goal, but were struggling to get into the game and were not really creating a threat upfront. 
Ferry had a chance to get back into the game, as the ball was played into the box in the 64th minute. David Hutton nearly managed to tap the ball into the net as they players scrambled to get it past the line but Greg Sturrock held on to the ball well. 
Monifieth came close to increasing their lead once again, after Gregor Dewar beat a player with a nice bit of skill then crossed the ball into the centre of the box but Ryan Kinnear acrobatically cleared the ball. 
Monifieth attacking paid off and they brought the score up to 4-0. Dewar crossed a fantastic ball into the box for Cameron Robertson who then knocked it into the back of the net, scoring his second of the game and giving Monifieth a very comfortable lead. 
Ferry had a couple of chances as the game was coming to an end. Ryan Blair had a brilliant chance to get a goal, as he sprinted through the Monifieth defence and through on to goal but he blazed his shot over the bar. Craig Chalmers almost scored after skilfully beating a defender in the box but was tackled by another. 
The full time whistle blew, and Monifieth increased their lead at the top of the table with a 4-0 win over their rivals. Now two for two in their derby games this season, they put in a great performance. The teams’ passing was incredible and they not only created plenty of chances but were clinical in front of goal. Ferry had strong moments in the game but over all were poor as they struggled to get past the Monifieth defence. 
  • Full Time:
  • Monifieth Athletic
  • 4-0
  • Ferry Athletic


Monifieth Athletic
Ferry Athletic

1. Greg Sturrock
2. Cameron Robertson
3. Liam Smith
4. Jake Davidsons
5. Craig Strachan
6. Gregor Smith
7. Jamie Armstrong
8. Owen Jamieson
9. Jonathan Bremner
10. Cameron Scott
11. Ben Lindsay
12. Steven Roberts
14. Ryan Roche
15. Ross McKay
16. Gregor Dewar

1. Joshua Gorton
2. Ross Weir
3. Calum Ross
4. Ryan Kinnear
5. Adeel Ahmed
6. Ben Middleton
7. Ryan Blair
8. Calum Kinnear
9. Steven Wilcox
10. James Totty
11. Craig Chalmers
12. Craig Madden

Star Player
Monifieth Athletic
Ferry Athletic
Gregor Dewar was my home star player as he caused a lot of problem for the Ferry defence with his tremendous pace, he also scored and set up another.
My away star player was Adeel Ahmed because he was strong in the midfield and won a lot of challenges.
Magic Moment
Monifieth Athletic
Ferry Athletic
My home magic moment was Cameron Robertson second goal, as it was a great finish and put Monifieth 2-0 up.
My away magic moment was Craig Chalmers skilful dribble in the second half, as it almost led to a goal.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments