Home My YFS

Dundee Celtic beat Rothes in cup thriller

Written by 
Dundee Celtic BC
Rothes Juniors
Brandon Carlin 27
Cameron Tansey 30, 35
Daniel Wilson 85
Declan Nugent 17, 40
Lewis Whyte 35
Jack Penn 90

(Dundee Celtic win 5-4 on penalties)


U14 Scottish Youth FA Cup - R1
Lochee Park, Dundee
15 September 2013

By Ross Canning
YFS East Region Reporter

Dundee Celtic Boys club have progressed into the second round of the Scottish Youth Cup by defeating a fighting Rothes Juniors 5-4 on penalties. The electrifying encounter ended in a 4-4 draw after extra time. It was Celtic’s Cameron Tansey who dispatched the winning penalty, ending Rothes Juniors hopes of a dramatic victory.
The opening exchanges saw Celtic have the upper hand with some sustained pressure in Rothes final third. The first chance of the game came early on in the 3rd minute when Celtic’s Cameron Tansey had a shot from the right hand side of the 18-yard box well saved by the Rothes keeper. Celtic’s pressure did not last long as a soon after a chance fell to Rothes’s Lewis Whyte who had a one on one in the 10th minute that forced a good save from Rory Mclnally in the Celtic goal.
Rothes then began to control the midfield with the likes of Captain Jack Penn and David Bonthrone spraying the ball about the midfield.  Hence, the Celtic defense was swiftly broken in the 17th minute when the games first goal was scored by Declan Nugent who was well placed to finish from inside the 6 yard box after a top class save from Mclnally fell kindly to the Rothes player.
Nevertheless, Celtic responded outstandingly from going a goal down and began to dominate the latter stages of the second half. This sustained pressure resulted in them finding an equalizer in the 27th minute from a well worked corner that was instinctively headed back across the face of goal by Cameron Tansey setting up Brandon Carlin to header in from the goal line.
Celtic wasted little time in taking the lead when Tansey himself got on the score sheet in the 30th minute with the striker converting from the right hand side of the penalty area into the bottom left corner of the goal via a great defensive clearance from Daniel Wilson. With the momentum in Celtic’s favor and a 2-1 lead they continued to stress the Rothes defense but little could be done in the 35th minute as the ever-present Tansey’s speculative shot from 30 yards turned into a moment of brilliance by nestling into top right corner of the Rothes Goal. 
Many teams’ heads would have surely dropped from giving away as many goals in quick succession but the Rothes players managed to wither the storm and their never give up mentality was well rewarded as almost immediately from going 3-1 down they got a goal back with virtually the last kick of the half when Lewis Whyte Scored neatly from a cut back across the goal line to ensure Celtics lead would be cut to one as the fist half would finish 3-2 to Dundee Celtic Boys.  
Half Time: Dundee Celtic BC 3-2 Rothes Juniors

After an eventful end to the first half the second half started much in the same fashion with a high paced standard of football. Rothes started the brighter team searching for their equalizer by continually attacking the Celtic defense and completing several phases of superb passing in the midfield. The Celtic defense remained strong until the 40th minute when Declan Nugent scored his second goal of the game to give the Rothes their equalizer. Credit for the goal goes to Euan Belford who managed to nick the ball away from the Celtic keeper allowing Burns to finish into the empty net.
Locked in stalemate Celtic responded by retaining more possession of the ball and the match progressed into an end-to-end spectacle in which both teams had chances to score. Rothes perhaps looked to have the better chances as Kyle Buchanan had a chip shot over the keeper drag agonisingly wide of the right hand post to the relief of the Celtic keeper.
The game's stand out performers Declan Nugent (Rothes) and Cameron Tansey (Celtic) continued to be a handful for their opposition with both having chances to snatch winners in the later stages of the second half. Nonetheless, these chances would fall short and as the final whistle blew with the scores locked at 3-3, the game was sent into extra time. 
Full Time: Dundee Celtic BC 3-3 Rothes Juniors 
The first half of Extra time emphasized the importance of player fitness as tired legs led to both sides having a breather as chances became few and far between with the game becoming a battle of the midfield. The first half ended with both teams remaining at 3-3.
Yet, the drama of the day was not yet finished as 5 minutes into the second half Celtic’s Daniel Wilson gave fellow teammate Cameron Tansey a run for goal of the game with an unbelievable free kick from over 35 yards out that whistled into the bottom right corner of Rothes net to the astonishment of spectators.
The Celtic players looked set to see the remainder of the game out and progress to the second round of the cup but Rothes had other things on their agenda and a team full of strong character managed to score a last gap equalizer in the last minute of the match. The goal came after a combination of quick feet and superb vision from Declan Nugent resulted in Captain Jack Penn scoring to send the game into penalties.
In a close fought game that could have swung in both teams favor it would be Dundee Celtic Boys who would be victorious in a penalty shoot out filled with quality spot kicks. The pivotal moment came when Celtic keeper Rory Mclnally marvelously saved Rothes second penalty kick.
The remaining spot kicks were converted by both teams and it fittingly came down to man of the match Cameron Tansey to polish off a classy performance by sending his shot high into the roof of the net and with it his team into the second round of the Scottish Youth Cup to the delight of his teammates.
Commiserations have to go to Rothes Juniors who can take a lot of positives away from a spirited performance that could so easily have turned out differently on another day. Congratulations go to Dundee Celtic Boys who now have their eyes firmly set on the second round draw.
Full Time: Dundee Celtic BC 4-4 Rothes Juniors (Dundee Celtic win 5-4 on penalties)


Dundee Celtic BC Rothes Juniors
1. Rory Mclnally 
2. Daniel Wilson 
3. Cameron Henderson 
4. Liam Tansey 
5. Scott Reilly 
6. Callum Banks 
7. Cain Connelly 
8. Cameron Tansey 
9. Alex Robb 
10. Aiden Steele 
11. Jonathan Tosh 
12. Dean Currie 
14. Liam Scott 
16. Brandon Carlin 
17. Kieran Rae
1. Logan Payne
2. Joe Lafferty 
3. Declan Kenyon 
4. Euan Belford
5. John Smith 
6. David Bonthrone
8. Kieran Angel 
9. David Byars 
10. Jack Penn 
11. William Pirrie 
14. Lewis Smart 
15. Aidyn Scott
16. Kyle Buchanan 
17. Declan Nugent  
19. Michael Burns 
20. Lewis Whyte
Cameron Tansey had a quality game and ended the match with two goals and an assist. Terrorised the opposistion defense throughout the whole game and kept a cool head to score the decisive penalty. An all round outstanding performance. 
Declan Nugent came up with two vital goals for Rothes. Caused problems for the opposition and was heavily involved throughout the match. A fine performance that no doubt provides momentum going into the new season. 

Ross Canning | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments