Home My YFS
Sunday, 02 June 2013 18:08

Dominant lions seal Fife Cup glory

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Kirkcaldy Eagles
St Johns Lions
Bell 63

Binnington 12
Stirling 43
Doig 65
Macher 67


U14 Fife Cup = Final
Warout Stadium, Glenrothes

Graham Swann

By Graham Swann
YFS East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @Graham_Swann

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

fSt Johns Lions U14s lifted the Fife Cup after a comfortable victory over Kirkcaldy Eagles at the Warout Stadium in Glenrothes.

The Lions were rarely troubled by the Eagles and could have easily clocked up more than the four goals they scored in the Glenrothes sunshine.

The deadlock was broken by St Johns after 12 minutes. Josh Binnington was played through and he fired a good shot into the bottom right corner of the net.

What followed were a series of shots on goal and mounting pressure from St Johns that had Kirkcaldy penned in the own half. First, David Stirling tried his luck from outside the box but his effort was held by Kirkcaldy stopper Callum Reston. Stirling tried his luck again on 19 minutes but once more his shot was no trouble for Reston.

St Johns kept coming and on 20 minutes Jed Hunter latched on to a great diagonal ball. He controlled it well in the penalty box, cut inside, before seeing his shot canon off the post from a tight angle.

These were worrying times for Kirkcaldy who were desperately trying to get a foot on the ball to mount some pressure themselves. But, the Lions kept pressing and almost doubled their lead on 26 minutes. Binnington raced into the box before firing goal wards. Reston could only parry the stinging shot and had Liam McWatt been a few inches taller, he would have had the simple task on nodding the rebound home.

Five minutes later, Stirling met a corner at the back post but he was unlucky to see his volley sail just wide as St Johns went in at the break leading by just a single goal.

Half Time: Kirkcaldy Eagles 0-1 St Johns Lions

It wasn’t long though until St Johns grabbed a deserved second goal. Stirling cut in from the right, jinked past an Eagles defender before firing the ball into the net past Reston.

The Lions hit the woodwork for the second time in the match after some good build up play. Binnington neatly laid the ball into the path of Christopher Macher but his effort clipped the outside of the left post.

Kirkcaldy gradually gained a bit more possession of the ball, with Murray Bell in particular trying his best down the right hand side to break away on the St Johns’ goal.

Then, on 63 minutes, the Eagles snatched a goal to bring them back into the game. The ball was floated into the box and Stirling seemed to have the ball under control. But, credit to Bell who somehow robbed him of the ball and slotted the ball into the net from a narrow angle to open the scoring for Kirkcaldy.

Kirkcaldy were lifted by that goal but hopes of getting back into the game were all but extinguished two minutes later. St Johns played the ball forward and as the ball bounced, Reston misjudged it, allowing David Doig to head the ball into the unguarded net. A clumsy and disappointing goal for Kirkcaldy to concede having just got themselves back into the match.

The Lions grabbed a fourth goal a few minutes later to compound Kirkcaldy’s misery. Declan Whyte ran down the left hand side before cutting the ball across the box to Macher. He had plenty of time to take a touch before firing the ball into the net.

Kirkcaldy will be disappointed not to have created clearer cut openings and found themselves on the back foot for most of the game. They did well to get a goal back but shot themselves in the foot in allowing St Johns to restore their two goal cushion so soon after. The Lions produced a very attacking display and arguably could have scored more than the four goals. Their passing was also very impressive with their players always looking around to find a man in space. It was a good performance from them which saw them proudly raise the Fife Cup.

Full Time: Kirkcaldy Eagles 1-4 St Johns Lions


Kirkcaldy Eagles St Johns Lions
1. Callum Reston
2. Matthew Veale
3. Liam Duncan
4. Blair McKendrick
5. Ross Higgins
6. Angus Robb
7. Jay Elder
8. Aiden Tait
9. Cameron Lafferty
10. Kieran McLellan
11.  Murray Bell
12. Rikki Laird
14. Robbie McEwan
16. Lewis McLeod 
17. Jack McGourty
18. Niall Cherrett
19. Gregor Brown
1. Matt Douglas
2. David Stirlng
3. David Doig
4. Hamish Milne 
5. Robbie Hogg
6. Christopher Macher
7. Kirk Thompson
8. Liam McWatt
9. Josh Binnington
10. Declan Whyte
11. Jed Hunter
15. Cameron Laird 
99. Connor Thomas
Murray Bell showed promise in attack for Kirkcaldy on what was a difficult afternoon for them. He showed great persistence to score and momentarily get his team back into the game.
Several players impressed for St Johns Lions but David Stirling was never afraid to shoot and got himself into several opportunities to score. He deservedly grabbed a goal to get his name on the score sheet.
Andrew Bell, coach of Kirkcaldy Eagles, said: "I thought when we scored that we could go on to get another goal but it wasn't to be. Credit to St Johns who showed that they are a good side."
Kenny Thompson, coach of St Johns Lions, said: "We are a a good passing team and I thought we played well today. It's been a great season, winning the Fife Cup, being runners up in the league, and reaching the last 16 of the Scottish Cup."
Last modified on Friday, 02 August 2013 14:36
Graham Swann

Graham Swann | YFS East Region Journalist

Login to post comments