Home My YFS
Sunday, 02 June 2013 17:24

Woodside secure Fife Cup in style

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Methil FC
Woodside BC
Clelland 55

Carstairs 8
Feeley 12
Marnoch 78
Rolland 85


Under 17 Fife Cup Final
Kirkcaldy YM

Sam Robertson

By Sam Robertson
YFS East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @_samrobertson

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Woodside won the Under 17s Fife Cup after an impressive 4-1 win against Methil in Kirkcaldy. Goals from Gregor Carstairs, Nathan Feeley, Duncan Marnoch and Liam Rolland gave them the victory.

Woodside were strong favourites going in to the game. They had narrowly lost out in the top flight league title race, whereas Methil were sitting in the middle of the second tier. Woodside started the game strongly and created numerous chances in the opening 10 minutes. They eventually took the lead on 8 minutes when Gregor Carstairs fired a free kick emphatically in to the top corner.

Woodside continued to dominate and almost doubled their lead two minutes later. Raymond Crichton did brilliantly down the left and his cut back was deflected on to the crossbar. From the resulting corner Kieran Wylie crashed his header against the crossbar.

Their second goal did come when a ball over the top found it's way through to Nathan Feeley who kept his composure and smartly lobbed the ball over helpless Methil 'keeper Bradly Forester. Woodside had come out and started the game quickly and Methil had no answer to the wave of Woodside attacks. Woodside were dominant and came close to a third with Carstairs and Rolland not far off with long range efforts.

The Woodside dominance slowed and Methil started to come to life in the later stages of the half and managed to create a few half chances before the break. Firstly Robbie Wallace fired in a free kick which was spilled by the Woodside 'kepper but his defence were able to clear. Then on the stroke of half time a clever corner routine caught Woodside out but Daniel Roberts' shot was the wrong side of the post. 

Half Time: Methil FC 0-2 Woodside BC

Methil finished the first half well and looked to come out in the second half to try and reduce the deficit. A substitute was made at half time and the oncoming Josh Laird almost made an instant impact for his team but his header from a corner was inches over.

Methil did pull a goal back on 55 minutes when a corner from the left was headed in at the near post by the onrushing John Clelland. Whatever the Methil coaches had said at half time had clearly fired their team up as they were playing with much more fight and desire than in the first half.

Methil were in full control and pressing for an equaliser. It almost came on 66 minutes when captain Daniel Roberts volleyed just wide from the edge of the box and then John Clelland headed over from a corner just moments later. Woodside didn't know what had hit them and were struggling to weather the Methil storm. The equaliser was getting closer and Matthew Robertson had a great chance when a long throw fell to his feet but he scuffed his half volley wide.

The chances were coming thick and fast for Methil but they had to be wary of Woodside's danger on the break  and this danger caught them out on 78 minutes when a break resulted in Liam Rolland being brought down in the box. Duncan Marnoch took the penalty and slotted it away. Methil's failure to take their second half chances had come back to haunt them and it looked unlikely they would find the two goals they required.

Woodside got their fourth goal 5 minutes from time when a free kick was swung across and headed home at the back post by Liam Rolland. Methil got the chance to make it 4-2 in the 90th minute after a handball by Neil Wallace but the spotkick was fired wide by Robert Morrison.

Full Time: Methil FC 1-4 Woodside BC


Methil FC Woodside BC
1. Bradly Forester
2. Mathew Boyd
3. Daniel Roberts
4. Mark Mellor
5. Lewis Simpson
6. Robbie Wallace
8. John Clelland
10. Garry Thomson
11. Robert Morrison
12. Matthew Robertson
14. Scott Cape 
15. Stuart Drummond
16. Josh Laird
17. Connor Findlay

1. Darryl Gear 
4. Craig Lawrence
5. Dean Cooper
6. Alastair More
7. Max Coleman
8. Liam Rolland
9. Gregor Carstairs
10. Raymond Crichton
11. Danny Corstorphine
12. Nathan Feeley
13. Dylan Anderson
14. Kieran Wylie
15. Neil Wallace
16. Duncan Marnoch 
17. Lewis Scarlett
18. Craig Sinclair
Josh Laird came on as a half time substitute and changed the game for his side. Created a number of chances for himself and his teammates and was unlucky not to get a goal.
Nathan Feeley looked a constant threat going forward for his side and linked up well with his teammates. Topped off his performance with a well taken goal.
Last modified on Friday, 02 August 2013 14:59
Sam Robertson

Sam Robertson | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments