Print this page
Monday, 06 May 2013 21:06

Rosyth United in Spring Cup triumph

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Bayside FC
Rosyth United
Gibb 26
Lane 22, 34, 57
Bannister 28, 71


AFYFC U16 Spring Cup Final
Humbug Park, Crossgates

Paul Gilfillan

By Paul Gilfillan
YFS East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @peegee65

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

View Photo Gallery | Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Rosyth United lifted the AFYFC Spring Cup on Sunday morning with an emphatic 5-1 victory over local rivals Bayside in a cracking final at Humbug Park, the home of Crossgates Primrose FC. The scoreline doesn’t do justice to a Bayside team which, had they taken their chances in the same efficient manner as Rosyth, might have returned a different result, but Rosyth’s creativity, pace and finishing were too much for them this time, and they were very worthy winners.

The sun shone brightly on Sunday morning although dark rain clouds loomed on the horizon. As it turned out, a strong and at times swirling wind blew the clouds straight over us and it was Bayside who kicked off on the stroke of 11am to get things underway.

Rosyth started well on the left, managing a couple of shots in the opening 5 minutes but the first real chance of the game fell to Bayside’s Rohan Watson in the 8th minute and he was unlucky to see his near post effort land on top of the net, rather than nestling in the back of it.

Two minutes later Rosyth went close at the other end, Peter McKean flashing a cross in from the right where Ryan McManus was unlucky not to connect and ended up in the net himself, boots tangled in the rigging. Rosyth were beginning to exert some pressure but Bayside were not to be outdone. Threatening on the counter attack, first Stuart Gibb’s tantalising cross from the left found no takers in the box and then he himself had a glimpse with a header but put it straight into Rosyth’s keeper Adam McRoberts’ hands.
Rosyth opened the scoring in 22 minutes, a free kick from the impressive Peter McKean finding the unmarked Christopher Lane in the box who slotted coolly past Kiel Adamson in the Bayside goal.

Undaunted by this setback Bayside enjoyed a period of sustained pressure and Stuart Gibb was unlucky to see his free kick smack the crossbar with the keeper and the defensive wall well beaten. A Kieran Kenny free kick from the other wing then found Chris Ewen and his looping header was just wide. The pressure paid off in 26 minutes when Stuart Gibb’s persistence allowed him to capitalise on hesitancy in the Rosyth defence and he shot home neatly to level the score.

Two minutes later though, Rosyth were back in front, Connor Bannister heading through a crowded goalmouth after a McKean cross and in 34 minutes they made it 3-1, Christopher Lane notching his second after a mazy run and a toe-poke past the outrushing keeper. As the half time whistle sounded Rosyth were in control, doing the simple things well at the back and the pace and distribution of McKean causing the Bayside defence no end of worry.

Half Time: Bayside FC 1-3 Rosyth United

Early in the second half Rosyth’s Ryan McManus had a goal disallowed for offside and this seemed to fire Bayside into action once more. Consecutive corners saw shots and headers tipped over the Rosyth crossbar before Kieran Kenny missed a chance to reduce the deficit, shooting straight at the keeper when either side would surely have counted.

The chance was perhaps a turning point because in 57 minutes Rosyth increased their lead, Christopher Lane securing his hat trick to make it 4-1 after yet another dangerous cross from Peter McKean.

Bayside refused to give up though, Stuart Gibb working well on the left wing and MacAuley Ferguson impressing by pushing forward from defence to bring strength and urgency to midfield. Their persistence almost paid off when an enticing cross from the right was met with a good first time header by Rohan Watson, but it was collected easily by the keeper.

Minutes later a Stuart Gibb shot struck the post but almost inevitably in this end to end cup final, Rosyth raced upfield and Connor Bannister made no mistake with the best goal of the game in 71 minutes, a beautiful low drive from wide right to make it 5-1, complete the scoring and finally douse the spirits of the Bayside lads.

Bayside had fought well and on another day may have taken more of their chances, but it was the boys in the green and black of Rosyth Utd who deservedly lifted the trophy. An excellent match played in the right way and a credit to both sides.

Full Time: Bayside FC 1-5 Rosyth United

Bayside FC Rosyth United
1. Kiel Adamson
2. Cieran Smart
3. MacAuley Ferguson
4. Kieran Lane
5. Chris Ewen
6. Rohan Watson
7. Stuart Gibb
8. Jack Leask
9. Kieran Kenny
10. Alistair O'Mahoney
11. Kyle Donaldson
12. Glenn Coutts
14. Robin Bain
15. Dean Parkyn
16. Todd Slater
17. Joe Brown
0. Adam McRoberts
1. Jack Caithness
2. Declan Flynn
3. Andrew Wyllie 

4. Christopher Lane
5. Andrew McGregor
6. Gavin Fletcher
7. Peter McKean
8. Ryan McManus
9. Liam Grey
11. Ross Henderson 
14. Liam Kirkpatrick
15. Charlie Stanton
16. Connor Bannister
21. Greig Friel
23. Kyle Redpath
Stuart Gibb scored one, hit the bar, had shots saved and delivered some great balls from the left.  Well played Stuart.
Peter McKean was quite simply the most creative player on the pitch.  Fast, creative and delivering quality from open play and set pieces alike.  Well played Peter.
Last modified on Friday, 02 August 2013 23:29
Paul Gilfillan

Paul Gilfillan | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Latest from Paul Gilfillan

Related items

Login to post comments