Home My YFS
Tuesday, 05 March 2013 22:56

DUSC reach Scottish Cup semis at Lewis' expense

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Dundee United SC
Lewis United
Tosh 22
Hornby 30, 67
Gibb 66


U15 SYFA Challenge Cup - QF
Monymusk, Dundee

mikeycolville reporter photo

By Michael Colville
YFS East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @mikeycolville

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

View Photo Gallery | Discuss the Match | Create a Souvenir Newsprint

DUSC vs Lewis Utd Scottish Cup Quarter FinalDundee United SC entered the semi-finals of the Scottish Cup on Sunday after an impressive 4-0 win over Lewis United.

Lewis United kicked the game off, they tried to push up early but DUSC won the ball early. They had a chance soon after as a long ball was played up to Alex Gibb who headed the ball down to Nathan Tosh in the box, he managed to chip the ball over the keeper but it just went over the bar.

Both teams were eager to attack, the ball was being sent up and down the pitch as both teams looked to get an early goal. In the 5th minute Jordan Hornby came close to scoring, he back heeled the ball to Derryn Kesson who then passed it to Alex Gibb who set up Hornby in the box but Lewis player Lewis Masson made a great tackle to stop his shot.

In the 11th minute Lewis player Callum Youngson played a great ball into Barry Smith who managed to header the ball but it went just wide of the post. Dundee United SC then made a substitution a minute later, Callum Edgcumbe came off for Connor Wilson.

Lewis Fyfe took a shot from outside the edge of the box but Lewis goalie Edward Flinn managed to save and hold the ball. Lewis then countered through Callum Youngson who ran up the field. He set up Mark Swan with a through ball who then sent a low shot towards goal but Dundee United SC defender Callum Cook made a great interception.

Dundee United SC went 1-0 up in the 22nd minute through Nathan Tosh. The ball was headed over the defence to Tosh, the keeper came out to win the ball but Tosh managed to sneak the ball through his legs. As the ball rolled towards the goal Alex Gibb cleverly shielded the ball, as if anyone had tried to knock it in it would have been offside.

Soon after Lewis kicked off, DUSC got a free kick. Alex Gibb flicked the ball over a Lewis player and Derryn Kesson controlled it well only to be fouled. The free kick was easily cleared by the Lewis defence though. A minute later Lewis had a corner kick, the ball was played into the box and before being headed around the defence Jack Hogarth managed to clear the ball away.

Derryn Kesson hit the post in the 29th minute, Nathan Tosh played a ball to the back post and Derryn controlled the ball well and struck it towards the goal but it rattled the post. A minute later Dundee United SC scored again to make it 2-0. Alex Gibb played a great cross in from the right hand side to Jordan Hornby. Hornby leaped into the air and powered the ball towards the goal with a strong header which beat the goalie and made it 2-0.

Just before kick-off Derryn Kesson was substituted for Callum Edgcumbe. DUSC got a corner in the 36th minute. The ball was cleared away, it fell to Alex Gibb who was at the opposite side. Gibb dribbled towards the box beating two players but was fouled. The free kick was played straight into the back post but Marc Lawrence headed it away.

In the 41st minute Jack Hogarth came close when Jordan Hornby burst down the wing with great pace and sent a ball straight to Hogarth but he just couldn’t reach it and it went over him. The half time whistle blew and Dundee United SC left the pitch 2-0 up.

Half Time: Dundee United SC 2-0 Lewis United 

DUSC vs Lewis Utd Scottish Cup Quarter FinalDundee United SC kicked off the second half. Lewis had a free kick early on, Alex Gibb headed the free kick clear, it went up to Nathan Tosh who carried it up the field and headed towards the box but Kristian Schmid stopped him with a great tackle. Soon after Derryn Kesson was substituted on for Tosh.

In the 48th minute Jordan Hornby beat a player and came in from the right side of the field to shoot at goal, but the shot went just over the top right corner. A couple of minutes later DUSC had a free kick which was played into Alex Gibb in the box, he headed it towards goal but the keeper saved and held it well.

Both teams were looking for a break through. Derryn Kesson nicked the ball from the Lewis defence and sent a ball across the box. It looked like Alex Gibb was fouled before he could reach the ball, it kept going towards goal but just brushed the post.

In the 56th minute Kesson makes a great run down the wing but he is tackled by Angus Burrows who regains possession. Not long after Jack Hogarth was substituted for Callum Edgcumbe.

Dundee United SC went 3-0 ahead, in the 66th minute Jordan Hornby got through the Lewis defence with a great bit of skill. The keeper then came out for a one on one and Hornby managed to take it around him and shoot, but his shot hit the post and deflected back into the box. Alex Gibb was running into the box and finished it to make it 3-0.

It wasn’t long after before it was 4-0. In the 67th minute Jordan Hornby again beat two players then takes it around another playing moving into the box and calmly slotted it past the keeper showing great composure. DUSC then substituted Ethan Glennie, who had a great game in goal, for Darren Clarkson.

Darren Clarkson started off well. Lewis soon after the kick off got a corner. The ball was played dangerously into the middle of the box but Clarkson came out and collected the ball well. Lewis then made a substitution bringing on Liam Grant and Lewis Ross. Dundee United SC also brought on Dominic Duffy for Lewis Fyfe.

Derryn Kesson was through on goal in the 75th minute, he was being pressured by a Lewis defender but managed to take it around him and the goalie. He knocked the ball towards the goal but he couldn’t keep his balance so the shot went off target. Derryn then came off for Brandon Hawes.

Jordan Hornby came close to getting another goal when he beat a player, then passed it to Brandon Hawes who touched it to Connor Wilson who then laid it off for Hornby just outside the box. He struck the ball towards goal but it just went over. In the 85th minute Nathan Tosh came on for Alex Gibb.

As the full time whistle blew, Dundee United SC celebrated qualifying for the semi-final for the second year in a row. Lewis United put in a good performance despite the four goal difference.

Full Time: Dundee United SC 4-0 Lewis United

Dundee United SC Lewis United
1. Darren Clarkson
2. Callum Edgcumbe
3. Brandon Hawes
4. Callum Cook
5. Connor Wilson
6. Kieron Gardiner
7. Nathan Tosh
8. Cameron McMahon
9. Alex Gibb
10. Lewis Fyfe
11. Jordan Hornby
12. Calum King
14. Derryn Kesson
15. Jack Hogarth
17. Dominic Duffy
23. Ethan Glennie
1. Edward Flinn
2. Angus Burrows
3. Liam Grant
4. Bradley Strachan
5. Conor Dickie
6. Barry Smith
7. Callum Youngson
8. Daniel MacKenzie
9. Liam Malcom
10. Mark Swan
11. Lewis Masson
14. Lewis Ross
15. Kristian Schmid
16. Marc Lawrence
18. Clark Petrie
20. Greg Johnstone
Jordan Hornby scored two goals and also played a role in another one. Always looked dangerous when attacking and was a key player for creating chances.
Callum Youngson Worked hard during the game and created a few chances. 
Last modified on Saturday, 03 August 2013 15:59
Michael Colville

Michael Colville | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments