Home My YFS


JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 2174

Sunday, 10 February 2013 17:55

Victoria see off Kennoway in feisty cup tie

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)



Kennoway United
Victoria FC
Rennie (2)


U19 SYFA Challenge Cup - R5
Cotlands Park


By Rob Fairnie
YFS East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @Robfairnie92

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team.

Discuss the Match | Create a Souvenir Newsprint

A wet and windy afternoon at Cotlands park saw Victoria FC come out on top to book their place in the next round of the Scottish Youth Challenge Cup at the expense of Kennoway United.

The visiting side, despite being down to ten men for the majority of the match, ran out 4-2 winners in a highly entertaining match in Kennoway.

The encounter began with both sides carving out half chances. Jordan McGraw went close for Victoria FC while Ryan Muir was industrious in his play, carving out several opportunities for the home side as they looked to open the scoring.

Both teams were evenly matched, but Kennoway took the initiative and the lead after just ten minutes.

Dylan Muir delivered an inviting corner which was cleared only to Jordan Kerr who flicked the ball home for the hosts.

However, the visitors reacted magnificently and were back on level terms within two minutes.  Lee Jack struck a low corner to the front post where Darren Cooke was lurking to pounce and fire home a low volley past Brendan O’Brian in the Kennoway goal.

The home side were clearly frustrated at their inability to hold on to this lead but they reacted well creating more opportunities and battling for every ball in the midfield area.

Kieran Foy was a constant threat for the hosts throughout the first half holding the ball up well and creating chances for his team mates, and the striker almost put his side back in front after a fine strike only to be denied by Victoria FC goalkeeper Fraser Richardson.

As the game headed towards half time, tempers began to fray and frustration got the better of Jordan McGraw as he was sent off for an off the ball altercation with Kennoway captain Scott Gilbert.

The away side were clearly frustrated with their player in what appeared to simply be a moment of madness, but held on to go in at half time level.

Half Time: Kennoway United 1-1 Victoria FC

After the break Victoria FC enjoyed a spell of dominance and put the hosts under some real pressure despite being a man down.

Jordan Rennie and  Fraser Stobie went close for the visitors as they dominated play in midfield winning every second ball. They came out stronger and faster then their opponents and this dominance paid off five minutes into the second half.

After a wonderful turn, Victoria FC winger Jordan Rennie remained cool in front of goal to finish with style, low past a diving Brendan O’Brien in the Kennoway goal.

It was an excellent piece of play to give the away side the lead and they gained momentum and a great deal of confidence from this breakthrough. 

It wasn’t long before the ten men had increased their lead to 3-1 as the home side struggled to cope with their swaggering opponents.

Jordan Rennie was again involved as his corner was tapped in at the back post by an onrushing Andrew Laird. This was no less than the visitors deserved as they came out all guns blazing in the second half. 

Minutes later, they demonstrated their ruthlessness in front of goal once again as they looked to kill of the tie and it was soon 4-1 as the excellent Rennie was again causing problems for Kennoway United. His free-kick was deflected past Brendan O’Brian and the visitors were looking unstoppable.

With about 20 minutes of the tie remaining Kennoway had to find a way to compete with their opponents and salvage something from the match.

They showed great resilience as they fought their way back into the match winning tackles in midfeld and attacking in hope of catching their opponents off guard.

And their hard work paid off with five minutes remaining as Kieran Foy pulled one back for the home side with a well struck effort that beat Fraser Richardson in the Victoria goal.

However this was all too little too late for the home side as Victoria held on to progress into the next round of the cup.

Full Time: Kennoway United 2-4 Victoria FC

Kennoway United Victoria FC
1. Brendan O'Brien
4. Sean Lawson
6. Scott Gilbert
7. Jack Mowatt
8. Ryan Muir
10. Keiran Foy
12. Dylan Muir
16. Jordan Austin
17. David Neil
18. James Rankin
19. Andrew Michie
20. Liam Cunningham
21. Jordan Kerr
1. Fraser Richardson
4. Jordan Frame
5. Fraser Stobie
6. Dillon Finessy
7. Jordan Rennie 
9. Lee Jack
10. Scott Baillie 
11. Darren Cooke 
12. Andrew Fraser
14. Andrew Laird
15. Jordan McGraw
17. Keiron Watson
20. Peter Lynn
Keiran Foy proved a constant threat to the visiting defence and deserved his goal.

Jordan Rennie was clinical from dead balls and proved the difference between the sides today scoring two goals and assisting one.
Last modified on Wednesday, 02 October 2013 11:07

Login to post comments