Home My YFS
Tuesday, 01 January 2013 13:44

North victorious but all smiles on final whistle

Written by  Grenville Dawson
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Dundee Schools
North Of Scotland Schools
Senior SSFA National Trophy - Group 2
Dundee International Sports Centre
Author: Grenville Dawson

DSC 1355 optOn a cold but sunny day at DISC there was a disappointing performance from Dundee Seniors who struggled to cope with surface and allowed the North of Scotland to dominate for most of the game. Indeed but for a little luck the defeat could have been heavier which might have meant trouble.

Dundee needed to avoid a heavy defeat while North had to win to qualify for the quarter finals. North pressed from the start and did not allow the Dundee defence any time to settle, resulting in several mistakes at the back with the home team looking the more uncomfortable on the surface. Surviving the early pressure it was against the run of play when Dundee took the lead. A corner on the right led to a North foul in the box and Darren Mackie thumped the penalty past the keeper for 1-0 (14m).

The North still had the better chances and just after the half hour broke into the box and the referee adjudged the tackle to be a foul and pointed to the spot and the North scored to equalise, 1-1 (34m).

The rest of the half offered up no real chances for either side so it was all square at the break.

Half Time: Dundee Schools 1-1 North of Scotland Schools

DSC 0030 optNorth continued to show more urgency in the second half, knowing that a draw would not be good enough. Six minutes into the half North went ahead for the first time with a shot from the left edge of the penalty box curling into the top far corner, 1-2 (51m). Four minutes later North were denied what looked a good goal when a corner was met with an overhead kick which struck the back of the net, only for the referee to chalk it off for dangerous play - a very lucky escape for Dundee.

Not long after this Dundee were back level as good work from Lee Cameron and Gavin Thomson set up Darren Mackie on the left who shot home from inside the box across the keeper and in at the far post, 2-2 (57m).

The North continued to attack and were soon back in the lead with a cross from the left being headed back across the keeper, 2-3 (63m).

Dundee had a good chance when Jordan Garden put Lee Cameron through but he poked the ball wide from 20 yards under pressure to get his shot away with the keeper rushing out. With just over 5 minutes left North had an excellent opportunity to increase their lead as a corner from the right reached the far side of the box and the shot smashed off the bar with the defence beaten.

When the final whistle went, it was handshakes all round, and both sides were keen to sort out the arithmetic with Dundee, North of Scotland and Angus all finishing on 6 points. Thanks to Dundee's early demolition of Aberdeenshire, the goal difference stacked up in Dundee's favour (+7), North finished second (+4) and the unfortunate Angus (+3) ended in 3rd place and out of the competition. Dundee will now have a home quarterfinal in January, but there will need to be an improvement in the performance.

Full Time: Dundee Schools 2-3 North of Scotland Schools
Last modified on Saturday, 03 August 2013 18:12
Login to post comments