Home My YFS


JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 2174

Sunday, 28 October 2012 14:52

Eagles win hard fought victory in close encounter

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Kirkcaldy Eagles
AM Soccer
Nicol (2)


U14 Fife FDL - D1
Beveridge Park


By Rob Fairnie
YFS East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @RobertFairnie92

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Create a Souvenir Newsprint

A bitterly cold morning at Berveridge Park saw Kirkcaldy Eagles run out victorious against a spirited AM Soccer side. In a game which contained 5 goals and numerous chances for both sides, a late Eagles goal was enough to snatch victory and an important 3 points.

The game began with AM soccer putting their opponents under some pressure which culminated in a good chance for the visitors. Arron Birrell got through some good work on the right hand side and provided Gavin Milne with an opportunity to open the scoring early on. Unfortunately the attacker could only prod his effort wide of the target, but this signified a good start from the away side.

Kirkcaldy Eagles, however began to grow into the game and create some chances of their own. Several corners were delivered invitingly by Eagles winger Liam Duncan but were all defended well by AM Soccer.

Eagles continued to press with AM Soccer goalkeeper Craig Burt forced into action to save low at the feet of Cameron Lafferty and parry a good long distance strike from Rikki Laird.

Despite the home sides dominance, AM Soccer took an unlikely lead when they broke upfield following an Eagles attack. A good cross from the impressive Tyler Tulleth was struck low and hard past Eagles keeper Callum Reston by Arron Birrell.

This goal gave the away side confidence and they created more chances before the half was out. Several crosses were well defended by the home side as they battled to stay in the match.

Towards the end of the half the Eagles were able to compose themselves and create chances again. This lead to the equaliser on the stroke of half time. A good Liam Duncan corner was turned in at the back post by Aaron Nicol who managed to lose his marker.

Half Time: Kirkcaldy Eagles 1-1 AM Soccer 

The second half began with good chances for both sides. First of all, Eagles winger Liam Duncan forced Craig Burt into a good save after good work down the left hand side. The away side were able to reply however after Aaron Birrell brought an excellent stop out of the home sides goalkeeper, Callum Reston.

The Eagles however put their stamp on the second half and only some excellent composed defending from Matthew Porteus stopped the home side from taking the lead. This resistance only lasted so long though and the Eagles took the lead in spectacular fashion.

Aaron Nicol moved forward down the right hand side before lifting an outstanding lob over the head of Craig Burt in the AM Soccer goal. Despite this, the away side were able to reply and level the scores within seconds. Straight from kick off AM Soccer were on the attack with Jamie Meekison finding himself in a good position on the right wing. His dangerous cross was turned into the net by Gavin Milne putting the visitors back on level terms.

However, neither side were content with a point and each pushed hard for a winner. Kirkcaldy Eagles finished the game the stronger side and managed to grab a last gasp winner. Following a period of intense pressure where the home side had several corners well defended by AM Soccer Aiden Tate was able to score the all so decisive winner. An outstanding, quick reflex save from the away goalkeeper Craig Burt lead to the ball breaking kindly for Tate to knock into the empty net, sending the away side home empty handed.

AM Soccer coach Lindsay Sharp was understandably downbeat after conceding the last gasp goal. “I’m not so disappointed with the result, im just disappointed that the guys haven’t shown what they are capable of this morning. But this will be a good learning curve for us and we will only get better”.

On the other hand, Eagles coach Derek Veale was overjoyed with his sides late winner but gracious in victory. “The boys deserved a victory due to their hard work and resilience. I felt it was a well balanced game, they (AM Soccer) played really well and can feel hard done by, but I’m pleased to come away with a win”.

Full Time: Kirkcaldy Eagles 3-2 AM Soccer


Kirkcaldy Eagles AM Soccer
1. Callum Reston
2. Mathew Veale
3. Liam Duncan
4. Blair McKendrick
5. Ross Higgins
6. Angus Robb
7. Jay Elder
8. Aiden Tait
9. Cameron Lafferty
10. Kieran McLellan
11. Aaron Nicol
12. Rikki Laird
14. Robbie McEwan
16. Lewis McLeod
17. Jack McGourty
18. Niall Cherrett
1. Craig Burt
2. Arron Birrell
3. Harry Poolman
4. Jack Bruce
5. Jake MacCabe
6. Matthew Porteus
7. Kieran Fox
8. Ewan Stenhouse
9. Gavin Milne
10. Jamie Meekison
11. Tyler Tulleth
12. Daniel Brunton
13. Calvin Neville
16. Adam Cartwright
17. Jamie Scobie
Liam Duncan's delivery from set pieces caused the away side several problems in the first half.
Arron Birrell was very good down the right hand side. Not only providing offensive threat but helped his side out defensively too.
Last modified on Saturday, 03 August 2013 19:35

Login to post comments