Home My YFS
Sunday, 29 January 2012 19:00

Thistle survive scare to secure victory

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Scotstoun Reds Under 19's
Bonnyton Thistle Under 19's
Competition: West Region Cup
Venue: Scotstoun Sports Centre
Date: 29/01/2012
After a few attempts to get this game on, it finally took place today with a 1pm kick off. 
Both teams looked as if they were glad to finally have a game as it started at a fast pace with both sets of players eager to play good passing football.  The game was barely started when Bonnyton's Stewart Davidson slammed a great shot straight towards the Scotstoun goal only to be tipped over the bar by an in form Brian Brown. The resulting corner was taken by Edward McTernan who delivered a great ball into the feet of Keir White who drilled a low ball into the bottom corner. 
After 15 minutes, Scotstoun get their first corner but couldn't take advantage and the ball broke back to Bonnyton. The next 10 minutes were still played at a fast pace with both teams working hard. 
With Bonnyton having the better of the first half, McTernan sent in a great cross from the right straight to the feet of Mark Armour who raced into the box to coolly slot the ball past the left hand side of the Scotstoun keeper.
On the 30 minute mark, Bonnyton made it 3 after a Graeme Anderson cross from the left was whipped into the box to meet Mark Armour, who was sharp and first to react to rifle a right footed shot past the helpless Brown. 
Neutral fans would be thinking game over, but Scotstoun didn't give up and 2 mins later, Anerson lost the ball to allow Scotstoun to break up the park with some great passing, the ball was crossed in from the left to Scotstoun's No 9, Ross Walker, who blasted a powerful shot straight at Murchie in the Bonnyton goal who could only manage to palm the ball off the underside of the crossbar allowing it drop just inside his line. 
This gave Scotstoun momentum and both teams tried hard for the next crucial goal. Bonnyton were pressing more just before the half time mark with another great cross coming in from Anderson to Armour who just had to tap the ball across the Scotstoun line from 6 yards out but the shot went wide of the right hand post. 
With both teams thinking of half time, Scotstoun get a corner which was cleared by Anderson but only to the feet of the an opposition player who swung a great ball back into the right hand side for Walker to meet it again and calmly slot home No 2 for them
Half Time: Scotstoun Under 19's 2 - 3 Bonnyton Thistle Under 19's
Scotstoun were probably the unhappiest team to see half time coming as they were just starting to get into the game but seemed to lose their tempo and passing once the second half got underway again. 
Lennox sent a shot well over the bar after some great passing by the Bonnyton team. Davidson then broke their attack and from the back, quickly delivered a ball straight to Milligan who sent a great ball to Lennox who could only manage to slot it past the right hand side post. 
After only 50 minutes, Milligan sent a great ball over to McTernan in the middle of the park and from 25 yards out sent a screamer past the keeper's right hand side to regain their two goal cushion.
Bonnyton's Watt, who had been busy in midfield all game, was slotting passes forward and sideways looking for any opportunity to break into the Scotstoun defence. Bonnyton's defence of Wood, White and Strachan werw also working hard at the back by doing their job and clearing their lines.  
After 58 mins and a lot of pressing by Bonnyton, another shot was sent wide by Milligan.  The first substitution of the game came in the 60th minute when Anderson came off for Stevenston and 5 minutes later, Watt was off for Walker. 
After 70 minutes, shouts for hand ball were heard from the Scotstoun sidelines.  The referee was up with play and seemed to hesitate before deciding no award and to play on. After 70 mins, Lennox was off for Paterson. It was just after this that Scotstoun got their first corner of the 2nd half but their player could only shoot straight at the keeper. The next 10 mins of play dipped a bit as one or two of the Scotstoun players seemed to tire. 
McTernan and Stevenston were starting to run riot down the left hand side with lots of chances being created but efforts going wide or straight to the busy Brown in the Scotstoun goal.  Finally in the 87th minute, Paterson struck a shot which was saved by the keeper but the rebound fell back to his feet to go in after the 2nd attempt.
Overall, Bonnyton passed the ball about better, created more chances and put in a good all round team performance and deserved to come out winners on the day.  Scotstoun played some nice football and gave Bonnyton a good game, expecially in the first half and had them worried going into half time after Bonnyton looked to be cruising at 0-3.  
Full Time: Scotstoun Under 19's 2 - 5 Bonnyton Thistle Under 19's
Last modified on Thursday, 08 August 2013 17:49
Login to post comments