Home My YFS

Leven FC claim Spring Cup after tough battle against Jeanfield Swifts Red

Jeanfield Swifts Red 0

Leven FC 2

McIntosh 15, Liddell 51
  • Sunday, 26 May 2019
  • Treaton Park
  • Under 17´s
  • AFYFC Spring Cup

Leven FC lifted the Spring Cup at Treaton Park against Jeanfield Swifts Red in a physical match which saw two emphatic goals from Reece McIntosh and Coll Liddell aid their team to victory.   

Adverse conditions were to play a major role in proceedings at the isolated pitch of Treaton Park as both sets of players dreamed of getting their hands on the esteemed trophy at the end of the match.

The game welcomed a very choppy start as both teams really struggled to get out of first gear within the first ten minutes of the match, with both defences standing strong. However, after a stubborn start, Leven opened the scoring in the final in the 15th minute when the ball came out from the left wing and fell to full back McIntosh who fiercely struck the ball from well outside the box which headed into the top right corner after Jeanfield goalkeeper Finlay Kennedy came so close to a miraculous save after getting a hand to it, but unfortunately for him it was not enough to prevent it from nestling into the top corner.

After going ahead, Leven started getting a firm grip on the final as Liddell later came close to putting his side two in front when his long-ranged effort went just over the bar in the 20th minute. Blair Innes was next to threaten for Leven as he managed to make some room for himself and get a shot away, which was well palmed away by Kennedy in the 25th minute.

After having a very rocky start, Jeanfield started playing their way back in the match, stringing some very tidy passes together. These smarts plays were so nearly rewarded as a ball was threaded through to Jeanfield striker Ruairidh Smith, in the 35th minute but saw his effort sail over the bar, keeping Leven ahead in the final. Cameron Macdonald quickly created another chance for Jeanfield when he got on the end of a smart lofted ball, but also so his effort sail over the bar in the 37th minute of the match.

The final chance of the half fell to Leven’s Matthew Scott who received a fantastic ball through the midfield and unleashed a great curling shot which just went wide of the post in the 43rd minute of the match and ended up being the concluding chance of the half as Leven went into the break ahead.

  • Half Time:
  • Jeanfield Swifts Red
  • 0-1
  • Leven FC

With the hill advantage now with Jeanfield, Leven knew they would have to work twice as hard if they wanted to leave with some silverware. Leven showed their intent early on in the half as goal scorer McIntosh bombed down the right wing once again and swung in a mean cross which found the head of Matthew Scott which just went over the bar in the 48th minute.

Leven went on to quickly double their lead in the early stages of the second half when a ball came loose after a deflection coming in from the left wing fell to deep lying midfielder Liddell who smashed the ball from the edge of the right into the top right corner, not giving Kennedy a chance in the 51st minute of the match.

Leven continued their early dominance of the second half and were unlucky not to go three ahead when Ryan Stewart’s powerful effort was well denied by Kennedy in the 53rd minute of the match.

Jeanfield really gave it their all, but the Leven defence sustained a very professional and mature performance as they continued to suffocate any potential Jeanfield attack in their effort to try get back into the match. Jeanfield’s first real chance of the second half didn’t arrive until the 80th minute when Blane McIntosh swung in a free kick from a tight corner which was then caught by the strong winds, forcing Leven goalkeeper Josh Ellis to tip the ball over the bar before it found it’s way to the back of the net.

Smith was next to threaten to get one back for Jeanfield, when Smith went on another mazy run and managed to split the defence, but his cut back couldn’t find anyone as his side remained behind in the final on the 85th minute.  The final chance for Jeanfield and ultimately the final fell to Smith once again as he stepped up to strike a free kick in the 87th minute which was well tipped away by Ellis and Leven went on to celebrate becoming the Spring Cup Champions.

  • Full Time:
  • Jeanfield Swifts Red
  • 0-2
  • Leven FC


Jeanfield Swifts Red
Leven FC
1. Finlay Kennedy
2. Nathan White
3. Rhys Miller
4. Matthew King
5. Bryson Bain
7. Matthew Boag
8. Cameron Macdonald
9. Ruairidh Smith
10. Matthew Carter
11. David Spark
14. Rohan Pennycook
15. Aidan Mennie
17. Blane McIntosh
18. Adam Hope
20. Nathan McKellar
22. Marc Finlay
23. Lewis Jones
24. Lewis McDonald
4. Mitchell Young
5. Coll Liddell
6. Kyle Paterson
8. Callum Henderson
11. Blair Innes
12. Lee Harper
14. Reece McIntosh
16. Adam Stafford
19. Ryan Lawson
20. Matthew Scott
21. Ryan Stewart
27. Tigan Barrie
29. Blaie Pate
33. Liam Sutherland
77. Brandan Wight
99. Josh Ellis
Star Player
Jeanfield Swifts Red
Leven FC
Ruairidh Smith - A really impressive performance from the tricky forwrd who created numerous chances throughout the match through his dazzling runs. Just didn't have enough attacking support to get the goals.
Coll Liddell - An emphatic performance from the man in the middle who won every loose ball that was out there. And t just cap it all off, a tremendous finish from well outside the box that helped to lead his team mates to victory.
Magic Moment
Jeanfield Swifts Red
Leven FC
Smith's great free kick right at the end was so close to being a remarkable goal. It was an equally remarkable save to keep it out ! Nonetheless a great effort.
The second goal. A fantastic goal from Liddell who had been playing dominant football throughout. A ruthless strike that put a real gap between the two finalists through the remainder of the game.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments