Home My YFS

Fairmuir leave it late to clinch Peter MacAvoy Cup

Fairmuir Violet 2

Scobie 38, Bell (p) 85

Ferry Athletic 1

McCord 52
  • Sunday, 06 May 2018
  • North End Park
  • Under 19´s
  • Peter MacAvoy Cup

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

A late penalty from Ross Bell clinched the Peter MacAvoy Cup for Fairmuir Violet. Gary Scobie had Fairmuir ahead with a thunderous first half free kick but Blair McCord levelled seven minutes after half time.

With five minutes to go, Bell was fouled inside the Ferry box and slotted home the penalty to secure Fairmuir the cup and keep their treble dream alive.

These two sides occupy first and second spot in the Presidents League, and it was Fairmuir that started brightest in their search for the opening goal. Ryan McLaren was twice denied by Stewart Linton in the opening stages.

Losing the influential Rory Faulkner early on didn’t help Ferry’s cause. Long range efforts from Andy Kelly and Tom Banyard didn’t trouble Steven Connor in the Fairmuir goal. Robbie Gallacher met a Ryan Scobie free kick after 26 minutes but couldn’t steer his header on target.

Scobie netted a free kick 12-months ago when these sides contested the Henry Dolan Cup final, and it was his left foot that rewarded Fairmuir for their efforts seven minutes before half time. The defender curled home a free kick from 25 yards that Ferry keeper Stewart Linton couldn’t keep out.

Linton was called into action moments later to keep out Cameron Tansey’s volley from a tight angle. The goalkeeper was quick to pounce on the rebound with McLaren looking to capitalise from the loose ball.

Ross Bell had been a thorn in Ferry’s side for most of the first half, and he nearly set up Gallacher for Fairmuir’s second, but Ross Fordyce managed to make a last-ditch block to deny the midfielder.

  • Half Time:
  • Fairmuir Violet
  • 1-0
  • Ferry Athletic

Fairmuir thought they had their second seven minute after the break when Ball forced the ball home from close range, but the referee disallowed the goal for a foul on a Ferry defender in the build-up.

30 seconds passed between the referee disallowing Fairmuir’s goal and Ferry equalising. The George Kerr Cup winner’s sent the resulting free kick long amidst the Fairmuir protests and the ball was eventually played into Blair McCord, who rifled home a shot from 20 yards to bring Ferry level.

Fairmuir were nearly back in front when Errol Vela guided McLaren’s ball into Bell’s path, but Linton did well to keep out his close-range header. Scobie whipped a dangerous free kick across the face of goal, but nobody in a Fairmuir shirt could turn it home.

At the other end, Barnard went close with a low cross-cum-shot. Kelly connected with a deep free kick from Arran Smith, but saw his header saved by Connor.

Both sides were creating chances as the full-time whistle approached and Linton denied Fairmuir once again as he kept out a close-range effort from Jack Taylor. Bell should have scored after 81 minutes when he worked space at the edge of the Ferry box, but he shot over.

A long ball caught out the Fairmuir defence allowing Kyle Anderson to run through on goal. The striker has often been Ferry’s man for the big occasion over the years, but he opted to shoot rather than cut the ball across for one of his teammates allowing Connor to make a comfortable save.

It was a big chance that Ferry were punished for not taking as Bell was soon fouled in the box, leaving the referee with little choice but to point to the penalty spot. The midfielder dusted himself off and coolly dispatched the penalty as Fairmuir retook the lead with five minutes to go.

Ferry couldn’t break down the Fairmuir defence in the closing stages as Bell’s goal proved to be the winner.

This was a poor day at the office for Ferry, who were outfought by Fairmuir for most of the match. They will look to get revenge when the side’s meet in what may well be a title decider at Graham Street in 10 days.

As for Fairmuir, they will feel justice was served after their second goal was disallowed. If they can replicate the performance they produced today over the remainder of the season, then the possibility of a double treble may become reality.

  • Full Time:
  • Fairmuir Violet
  • 2-1
  • Ferry Athletic


Fairmuir Violet
Ferry Athletic
1. Steven Connor
2. Cameron Cruickshanks
3. Cameron Henderson
4. Ryan Bannon
5. Ryan Scobie
7. Robbie Gallagher
8. Cameron Tansey
9. Ryan McLaren
10. Jaden Murphy
11. John-Jay Murray Reid
15. Gary Ellis
14. Ross Bell
16. Jack Taylor
1. Stewart Linton
3. Lewis Finnie
4. Blair McCord
5. Innes Middleton
6. Tom Banyard
8. Arran Smith
9. Kyle Anderson
10. Andy Lyall
11. Rory Faulkner
15. Jack Ferrier
16. Blaine Duncan
18. Ross Fordyce
20. Calum Ross
23. Jay Foran
24. Andy Kelly
Star Player
Fairmuir Violet
Ferry Athletic
Robbie Gallacher - The Fairmuir captain picked up the official Man of the Match award after a fine performance. His powerful running caused Ferry all sorts of problems all game long.
Stewart Linton - The Ferry stopper made a couple of fine saves at important stages of the match.
Magic Moment
Fairmuir Violet
Ferry Athletic
Scobie's Goal - A superb strike that no keeper was stopping.
McCord's Goal - A fine finish at an important stage of the match.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments