Home My YFS

Glenrothes Athletic dominant in League Cup victory

Written by 
Glenrothes Athletic produced a stunning performance to beat Kelty Hearts Colts and lift the AFYFC Under 17's League Cup.
Glenrothes started as they meant to go on with the opening goal inside the first minute. Euan Belford ran down the right hand side before cutting back to Sam McGurnaghan who had the simple task of slotting into the empty net.
They made it two just five minutes later thanks to a speculative effort from Lewis Morton saw him attempt a header from outside the box, which caught Kelty 'keeper Brett Gardiner off guard, end up in the net for Athletic's second.
Glenrothes were really motivated after their strong start to the match and could have added another in quick succession. Gardiner had to be at his best to keep out efforts from Belford and McGurnaghan.
McGurnaghan was looking particularly sharp and promptly slotted in his second and Athletic's third when he took advantage of slack passing along the Kelty backline to snatch the ball and drive one-on-one with Gardiner. The striker made no mistake, cooly placing into the back of the net.
Kelty did not look comfortable at the back and were often the architects of their own demise, a fact exemplified by Athletic's fourth goal. Belford picked up the ball after more slack defending from Kelty and layed the ball to the right hand side for Liam Woods to fire home.
Glenrothes well in control as the half-time whistle blew.
Any hopes that Kelty had of Glenrothes tiring in the second half were undone within the first ten minutes of the restart. After a great counter-attack from Athletic the ball was lifted into the path of Scott Donald, who side-footed the ball first time past Gardiner.
Another was added three minutes later when another slack pass was closed down by McGurnaghan, who beat Gardiner at his near post to extend the lead and complete his hat-trick.
The striker was not done there though and added a fourth soon after when a ball crossed into the box by Dylan Nicoll managed to go through everyone. It was met at the back post by McGurnaghan, who let the ball bounce before attempting an audacious overhead kick which once again found the back of the net.
Gino Caira came off the substitutes bench to get in on the scoring action for Glenrothes, clipping the ball over Gardiner, who was having a torrid time, into the net.
Glenrothes added another through some fine work by Connor Aird, who managed to drive to the byline. His cross was cleared only as far as Rhys Ferguson who slotted through the Kelty bodies to score.
The final goal of the match came as the exact opposite from the previous. This time it was Ferguson who set the ball up for Aird to slot easily past Gardiner, ending the scoring and securing the League Cup for Glenrothes Athletic. 
Login to post comments