Home My YFS

Valleyfield look forward to Fife Cup Final after semi-final win over Rothes Juniors

Rothes Juniors 3

Simpson 4, 28, Taylor 10

Valleyfield YFC 4

Newbigging 19, L.Smith 26, Bird 38, Reilly 49
  • Saturday, 14 April 2018
  • Michael Woods Leisure Centre, Glenrothes
  • Under 16´s
  • Fife Cup
Valleyfield secured their place in the Under 16's Fife Cup Final at Bayview Stadium on the 10th June with a thrilling 4-3 win against Rothes Juniors. Rothes took an early two goal lead before Valleyfield came back to level at 2-2.
Rothes would retake the lead from a free-kick before Valleyfield levelled the scoring from the penalty spot, to send the sides in level at half-time. After the interval, Valleyfield took the lead for the first time in the match and held on for their chance at Fife Cup glory.
Rothes came out swinging in the opening exchanges and took the lead inside four minutes when a long throw fell at the feet of Shay Simpson, who fired a shot across goal. The Valleyfield defence attempted to clear off the line but could only divert the ball into the back of the net.
On the 10 minute mark it was two and it was a very well taken goal by Ewan Taylor, who latched onto a long through ball and lobbed over Valleyfield 'keeper Jamie Paterson to double Juniors' lead.
Rothes were having the bulk of the possession and chances in these opening minutes. Euan Smith saw a free-kick fly just over the bar and Simpson had another opportunity when he took the ball round Paterson, but could only send his shot wide.
Valleyfield were not out of the game though and pulled one back just before the 20 minute mark when Brett Newbigging did well to beat his marker and run down the byline, cutting the ball back to Lewis Stevenson to slot home.
Rothes still looked dangerous and had another great chance when some good play between Smith and Taylor led to an opportunity for the former, who rushed his shot and sent it over the bar.
The away side were level after 26 minutes when Lewis Smith picked up the ball just inside the opposition half and went on a solo run, before sending a low left-footed shot right into Rothes 'keeper Keegan Cairns bottom corner to level the score.
Juniors nearly found themselves back in front in fortunate circumstances when a speculative effort from Michael Stebbings looked to be going over Paterson and into the net. Fortunately for the Valleyfield 'keeper, he was saved by his crossbar.
They were not to be denied for long and just two minutes after the Valleyfield equaliser, Rothes were back in front when they were awarded a free-kick just outside the box on the far right. Goalkeeper Paterson may have been expecting a cross from that angle, which Simpson took full advantage of, to fire the free-kick into the net to restore his sides lead.
Valleyfield were awarded a penalty two minutes before half-time when Newbigging was brought down in the box. Up stepped Euan Bird, who fired in confidently to send his team into half-time level.
  • Half Time:
  • Rothes Juniors
  • 3-3
  • Valleyfield YFC
Rothes were disappointed to lose a goal so close to half-time and looked to make amends. Christopher Mitchell perhaps tried too hard when he sent the first shot of the half well over the bar.
Valleyfield then sent one of their own over the woodwork when Michael Young sent his free-kick flying.
Rothes were getting closer and nearly re-took the lead after 45 minutes when Simpson again had a great opportunity, only to send his effort just over the bar.
Four minutes later, however, Valleyfield took the lead for the first time in the match. A low cross by Lewis Smith was deflected into the path of Valleyfield captain Lucas Reilly, who had time to turn and power his shot past Cairns.
Rothes were now, for the first time in the game, on the back foot and tried everything they could to bring the scores level and nearly had it when a Simpson shot on the hour mark looked to be heading on target, only for it to be deflected wide by his own player.
And Rothes had their best opportunity just five minutes later when an effort by Ewan Taylor took a deflection off of a Valleyfield defender that, agonisingly for Rothes, came off the post for their opponents to clear.
Rothes gave everything they had in trying to find an equliser, but it wasn't to be and the final whistle blew to scenes of celebration from the Valleyfield faithful.
Both sides can be proud in putting on an entertaining match and Valleyfield will be eagerly awaiting the result of Wednesday's second semi-final between Lochgelly Albert Colts and Pitreavie Pumas.
  • Full Time:
  • Rothes Juniors
  • 3-4
  • Valleyfield YFC


Rothes Juniors
Valleyfield YFC
72. Keegan Cairns
2. Michael Stebbings
4. Marcus Brooksbank
5. Euan Smith
6. Christopher Mitchell
7. Daniel Bucholz
10. Liam Kane
12. Ewan Taylor
14. Adam Watt
15. Gary Smart
16. Rhys McGlashan
17. Terry Wilson
18. Morgan Ridley
21. Shay Simpson
24. Cooper Thompson
1. Jamie Paterson
2. Evyn Sung
3. Lewis Nimmo
5. Euan Bird
6. Kyle Ian Bedborough
7. Lucas Reilly
8. Michael Young
9. Lewis Smith
10. Declan Lynch
11. Brett Newbigging
12. Charlie Hutton
14. Jamie Hunter
15. Daniel Rudden
16. Lewis Stevenson
17. Rhys Herbert Bedborough
18. Ronan Hall
Star Player
Rothes Juniors
Valleyfield YFC
Shay Simpson was Rothes' biggest threat going forward and shwed just how dangerous he can be with his two goals on the day
Lucas Reilly was a great leader for Valleyfield and helped rally his team to a great comeback victory
Magic Moment
Rothes Juniors
Valleyfield YFC
Ewan Taylor took his goal very well. A great lobbed effort
Lewis Smith's solo goal will be one that he will remember for some time. Great perseverance to get his shot away
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments