Home My YFS

Monifieth set up cup final date with Pitfour after penalties win over Fairmuir

Monifieth Athletic 1

Boyle 49'

Fairmuir BC 1

Wilkie 70'
  • Monifieth Athletic win 4-3 on penalties
  • Sunday, 25 February 2018
  • Riverview Park, Monifieth
  • Under 15´s
  • Tommy Clark Trophy
It was an extremly cold and windy day at Riverview Park on Sunday but that didn't stop Monifieth Athletic and Fairmuir BC from putting on a thoroughly entertaining match.
Both teams looked well worth their spots as semi-finalists in this year's Tommy Clark trophy, however only one could advance to the final and Sunday was Monifieth's day as they secured a penalties win over their DDYFA rivals. Athletic can now look forward to a cup final against Pitfour, who came through a tough match against Broughty Panthers.
The match began at a slow pace as both sides were to come to terms with the difficult playing conditions. Fairmuir were having more of the ball but Monifieth were happy enough to sit back and try to catch their opponents on the counter-attack.
For all of Fairmuir's possession, Monifieth were having the better chances with Aidan Lorente coming close for the home side on a number of occasions. Athletic came very close to an opening goal on the 23rd minute when a cross from Lorente nearly found its way into the path of Arran Ferry, who stretched as far as he could but could not get a decisive touch on the ball.
As the match progressed the roles were switched and Fairmuir were the ones trying to capitalise on the counter-attack, with Jamie McCann being a key figure for the away side with his jinky runs from his own half. He was key in getting Fairmuir up the pitch for long periods of the game.
They had their first real chance of the match on the half hour mark as Robbie Flynn hit a low shot towards the bottom left corner, only to have his effort saved well by Monifieth 'keeper Thomas Welsh. Zain Ferguson was next to trouble for Fairmuir but his low shot hit the side-netting.
Welsh was having a great game in the Monifieth goal and he had to be at his best to keep out what had to be the best chance of the half. Marcel Motyka was played through and attempted to dink the ball over the oncoming Welsh, who managed to get a strong hand to the ball and get rid of the danger.
It was the turn of the Athletic defence to keep the score level. Jamie McCann layed the ball into the path of Graeme Stewart who was about to get a shot off when Sean Kydd put in a last minute challenge to clear the danger.
  • Half Time:
  • Monifieth Athletic
  • 0-0
  • Fairmuir BC
Monifieth began the second half with purpose and found the games opening goal on the 49th minute. A cross from the left wasn't dealt with by the Fairmuir defence, and the ball fell to the feet of Paddy Boyle who showed great composure to tuck the ball first time under Shaun Watt in the away side's goal and open the scoring.
Fairmuir spent much of the remainder of the game putting Monifieth under a great amount of pressure. All the home side could do was defend as best they could. It was a good thing for them that 'keeper Thomas Welsh was in inspired form, keeping out Fairmuir on a number of occasions.
Derryn Thomson came close to drawing his side level on the hour mark when his stunning effort appeared to have Welsh beaten, but instead cannoned ff of the crossbar, much to the relief of the Monifieth defence.
10 minutes later, Fairmuir had the goal that their play had deserved up till that point. A corner was delivered into the box and Jack Wilkie managed to find space in the six yard box to nod home, giving Welsh no chance, and giving Fairmuir a vital equalising goal.
The match played out from there without to much in the way of clear cut chances, the best effort coming from a Liam Hunt free-kick which was once again well-saved by the excellent Welsh.
The referee blew his whistle, meaning penalties would decide this match.
  • Full Time:
  • Monifieth Athletic
  • 1-1
  • Fairmuir BC
Keepers are often the heroes in a penalty shoot-out and Thomas Welsh was proving to be just that, saving from Derryn Thomson's effort to give his side the early advantage.

Monifieth were perfect from the spot, whilst Jamie McCann, Jack Wilkie and Robbie Flynn kept their side in it.

The final penalty fell to Damien Kunc who saw his effort saved by Welsh, ending the match

Final Result: Monifieth Athletic win 4-3 on penalties


Monifieth Athletic
Fairmuir BC
1. Thomas Welsh
4. Aaron Dewar
5. Cameron Watts
6. Bartosz Kwiatek
7. Elliot McCafferty
8. Sean Kydd
9. Jamie Lannon
10. Aidan Lorente
11. Arran Ferry
12. Ross McLean
14. Paddy Boyle
16. Ben Dorward
17. Greg Will
18. Cameron Knight
22. Matthew Thomas
26. Dylan Ferguson
1. Shaun Watt
2. Jamie McCann
3. Liam Hunt
4. Jack Wilkie
5. Aidan McCann
6. Zain Ferguson
7. Damian Kunc
8. Derryn Thomson
9. Graeme Stewart
10. Kai Flynn
11. Marcel Motyka
12. Nairn MacDonald
14. Robbie Flynn
16. Mason Anderson
Star Player
Monifieth Athletic
Fairmuir BC
Thomas Welsh - Monifieth have their 'keeper to thank for reaching the penalty shoot-out, let alone winning it. An inspired performance by the home stopper
Jamie McCann - The midfielder was at the heart of many of Fairmuir's attacking moves on the day
Magic Moment
Monifieth Athletic
Fairmuir BC
A final Thomas Welsh penalty save and Monifieth have another cup final to look forward to
Jack Wilkie's header was a just reward for all of his sides pressure and it gave Fairmuir a route back into the game
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments