Home My YFS

Kirrie blow Broughty away to book cup final spot

Broughty United 2

Winterton 51', Grant 57'

Kirrie Thistle 7

McLean 3', (p) 21', Richardson 10', 67', Brown OG 26', Ellis 31', 33'
  • Sunday, 25 February 2018
  • Esplanade
  • Under 14´s
  • Reilly Falconer Cup

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

A blistering first half performance from Kirrie Thistle blew away Broughty United as they sealed a place in the final of the Reilly Falconer Cup.

A double from Archie McLean, Logan Richardson’s strike, an own goal from Gregor Brown and a brace from Sam Ellis gave Kirrie a 6-0 half time lead, and despite Broughty striking back in the second half, they held on to secure the win.

Broughty ended Kirrie’s unbeaten run in the league with a 3-1 win seven days ago, and it was clear that Kirrie were keen to avoid another defeat. There were only three minutes on the clock when Logan Richardson cut the ball back to Archie McLean, who despite seeing his initial effort kept out by Ben Todd, prodded the ball into the corner.

Kirrie were relentless in their pursuit for a second, and when Todd under-hit a goal kick, Richardson capitalised and fired a shot into the net from 25 yards on the 10 minute mark.

A free kick 20 yards from goal presented Broughty the chance to get back into the match, but Benji Kane didn’t trouble Rory Grewar with a low strike. At the other end, Jake Kettles nearly added a third, but Gregor Brown managed to clear the ball off the line.

Kettles was causing problems for Broughty and was denied by Todd after bursting into the box. The rebound fell to Kian Martin, but he couldn’t hit the target. Todd denied Richardson again moments later, and Connor Smeaton skied the rebound.

With 23 minutes gone, Kirrie added a third from the penalty spot, McLean coolly dispatching the ball past Todd.

Three minutes later, their lead was four. Dagan Bell sent in a cross from the right, and Brown sliced the ball into his own net.

Smeaton was denied by Todd before Kirrie made it five. Kettles was denied by Todd, but the ball broke kindly for Sam Ellis, who stabbed the ball past Todd.

With two minutes of the first half left, Kirrie made it six. Dagan Bell provided the cross into Ellis, who steered the ball past Todd with a first-time volley.

  • Half Time:
  • Broughty United
  • 0-6
  • Kirrie Thistle

Dagan Bell continued his marauding runs down the right flank into the second half, but saw his shot kept out by Todd five minutes after the restart. Broughty were offering more of an attacking threat, but John McGlashan’s effort didn’t trouble Grewar.

The hosts did pull one back after 51 minutes through their top goal scorer Leon Winterton. The striker fired a shot past Grewar from 25 yards to reduce the deficit.
Winterton went close to a second moments later when a low shot from 20 yards came back off the post, but they did double their tally when Lewis Grant hit a rising shot past Grewar after 57 minutes.

Winterton failed to hit the target on two occasions as Broughty tried to pull off the unlikeliest of comebacks. Todd did well to keep out Richardson’s chipped effort from the edge of the box but could only watch as he blasted in his second and Kirrie’s seventh moments later.

This was a disappointing result for Broughty United, who simply couldn’t handle Kirrie in the first half. Although, in their defence, it’s unlikely that any side would have coped with a Kirrie side in such scintillating form. While they improved in the second half, the mountain was simply too high for them to climb.

As for Kirrie, their first half performance was frightening and the perfect response to their defeat against Broughty the previous week. Last season, they watched as Angus rivals Forfar completed a clean sweep of the domestic trophies, but this year might just see a power shift in Angus. They will take on Celtic Boys who beat Forfar 5-2 in the other semi-final.

  • Full Time:
  • Broughty United
  • 2-7
  • Kirrie Thistle


Broughty United
Kirrie Thistle
1. Ben Todd
2. Brandon Boath
3. Ross Bell
4. Kyle Reid
5. Daragh McCafferty
6. Mackenzie McGuire
7. Kieren Hannan
8. Lewis Grant
9. Greg Ramsay
10. Sam Terroni
11. Gregor Brown
12. Benjamin Kane
13. Leon Winterton
14. John McGlashan
15. Kieran Malone
17. Jay Tosh
18. Kerr Jolly
1. Rory Grewar
2. Dagan Bell
3. Connor Smeaton
4. Kian Martin
5. Cammy Simpson
6. Logan Richardson
7. Jake Kettles
9. Archie McLean
10. Robbie Waddell
11. Sam Ellis
12. Keir Crighton
14. Sam Murray
17. Zak Innes
18. Thomas Duffy
19. Bradley Milne
Star Player
Broughty United
Kirrie Thistle
Leon Winterton - Threatened to drag Broughty back into the tie with a strong second half showing. Kept battling in the first half when not much went Broughty's way, but took his goal well and was unlucky not to have a coupe more.
Jake Kettles - The midfielder was a thorn in Broughty's side all afternoon, breaking up play in the midfield and driving Kirrie forward. If not for some good goalkeeping, he'd have had a couple of goals to show for his efforts.
Magic Moment
Broughty United
Kirrie Thistle
Grant's Goal - Good technique to keep the volley on target. An excellent strike that his performance deserved.
Ellis's Second Goal - A fantastic finish from a striker clearly full of confidence.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments