Home My YFS

Wishaw advance to semi-finals after cup thriller against Clydebank

Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers 6

Lafferty 6, Browning 48, 60, Bell 55, Bruce 64, 70

Clydebank FC 4

Officer 28, Cruden 35, 57, McInnes 75
  • Sunday, 11 February 2018
  • Wishaw Sports Centre
  • Under 19´s
  • Scottish Cup

Wishaw faced Clydebank in this eagerly anticipated Scottish Cup Quarter Final, played at Wishaw Sports Centre. 

There was a hint of a rivalry in this match with the two teams having played each other on a few occasions recently, with Wishaw facing the incredibly difficult task of defeating last years winners of the Scottish cup in what would prove to be a wonderful advert for Scottish Youth football.

The home side started the better, putting pressure on the Clydebank defence and forcing some early corners.

It was from one of these corners that Wishaw took an early lead, as Gary Torrance's corner created havoc in the Bankies penalty area and eventually Colm Lafferty was on hand to force the ball home after six minutes. 

Clydebank slowly began to get back into the game with more possession and efforts on goal, most notably of all was a great strike from Ronan Officer from just outside that was brilliantly saved at full stretch by Jamie Mitchell. 

The away side grabbed a deserved equaliser after 28 minutes, Officer this time finishing well from a tight angle into the bottom corner although Wishaw goalkeeper Mitchell may feel that he could have stopped it. 

It was to get even better for Clydebank only minutes later as they took the lead with a great team goal. Some good play in midfield resulted in Matthew McLennan delivering from a wide left position, and Thomas Cruden's wonderfully placed header looped over the goalkeeper and gave his team a 2-1 lead. 

Wishaw could have drew level on the stroke of halftime but they could not force the ball home following a scramble in the Clydebank penalty area. 

  • Half Time:
  • Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
  • 1-2
  • Clydebank FC

As with the first half, Wishaw started the better team and it didn't take long for them to make the tie 2-2. After some good work from Torrance, he in turn found Cameron Browning at the edge of the box and he finished smartly into the bottom corner leaving the goalkeeper with no chance.

Wishaw took the lead for a second time in the match shortly after and this was the pick of the goals. Mark Kyle cut the ball back to the edge of the box and it was met by the onrushing Aaron Bell. He smashed the ball into the top right corner, again giving the goalkeeper no chance, to send the home fans crazy. 

With the game still being played at a pulsating pace, the away team levelled for a second time. A mistake in the Wishaw defence allowed Cruden a shot from the edge of the penalty area, and he finished well for the sixth goal of the afternoon. 

The home team then took the game by the scruff of the net and scored three goals in ten minutes which would ultimately take the game away from a good Clydebank side.

Firstly Browning grabbed his second of the game with a close range header, after initial good work from Adam Blair to flick the ball on in his direction. 

Only a few minutes later captain Chris Bruce gave his team a two goal cushion with a bullet header into the top corner after a great ball in from the impressive Torrance. 

Bruce got his second of the game to effectively end the game as a contest. The captain had been fouled about 25 yards from goal and he brushed himself off to rifle the ball into the bottom corner and send his team mates wild.

Despite the blow going three goals behind, the spirited Clydebank team didn't give up and managed to pull a goal back through Jack McInnes close range finish to give his team hope with 15 minutes remaining. 

Wishaw managed to hold on to send them into this years Scottish Cup semi-finals, but Clydebank can be proud of their performance as they contributed to a great game of football which had ten goals, bookings, goal mouth scrambles and screamers. 

  • Full Time:
  • Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
  • 6-4
  • Clydebank FC


Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Clydebank FC
1. Jamie Mitchell
3. Adam Blair
5. Dylan Monks
6. Gary Torrance
7. Aaron Bell
8. Chris Bruce
9. Euan Scott
10. Mark Kyle
11. Cameron Browning
12. Colm Lafferty
14. Ryan Boyd
15. Cameron Fyffe
16. Kai Murdoch
18. Conor Smith
19. Josh Lindsay
20. Ross Park
1. Cameron King
2. Rory McInnes
3. Matthew Mclennan
4. Jack Carson
5. Robbie Donaldson
6. Louie Robertson
7. Nathan Carmichael
8. Ross Alexander
9. Thomas Cruden
10. Jordan Hay
11. Ronan Officer
12. Fraser Maclennan
14. Ross Mundy
15. Darren Halligan
16. Jack McInnes
17. Alex Hunter
Star Player
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Clydebank FC
The standout player for Wishaw was captain Chris Bruce who had a great game in central midfield. His two goals, a fantastic header and an equally good free kick, took the game away from Clydebank and he dominated the game from start to finish. Bruce drove his team on through difficult spells in the match and his passing and tackling ability was there to see.
Clydebank's star player was striker Thomas Cruden, who like Bruce scored twice. His first goal was a well placed header and his second a brilliant left footed finish. He led the line well throughout and gave his team hope with his contribution and performance.
Magic Moment
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Clydebank FC
The magic moment for Wishaw was Aaron Bell's fantastic strike to make it 3-2 to the home team. The ball fell perfectly to him just outside the box and his shot flew into the top corner to send his teammates and fans wild.
The magic moment for Clydebank was their great team goal to give them a deserved lead in the first half, with Cruden finishing smartly from a McLennan cross.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments