Home My YFS

DDYFA Results Round-Up 14/01/18

Written by 

A brief respite from the icy weather allowed the first fixture card of 2018 to be played out. With cup semi-finals and top of the table clashes throughout the age groups, the near two-month football hiatus was ended with a bang.
Here’s how the action went down:



Carnoustie Panmure booked their spot in the semi-final of the Diamond Jubilee Cup with a 6-1 win over Montrose. Dylan McLeish netted twice, while Charlie MacPherson, Carter Kelly, Jack Chalmers and Karter Inglis also found the net.

Celtic Boys and Mearns will face off in the Celtic Golden Jubilee Cup final after 9-1 wins over Montrose and 3-1 wins over Dundee Thistle in the semi-finals.

Ferry Athletic beat Fairmuir 4-1 in the top of the table in the Café Royale League. Riverside leapfrogged Fairmuir into second place with a 4-1 win over Broughty Pumas.

Pitfour also netted four times, as they beat Maryfield 4-0.

Loghan McKelvie bagged a brace in Newtyle’s 4-1 win over Forfar in the J Clenaghan League. Alex Robson and Callum Stewart were also on target.

DUSC won 6-3 against St Andrews Colts, while Dundee West Red’s drew 3-3 with Brechin and Arbroath earned their first point of the season after a 5-5 draw with Broughty Panthers.

Dundee SC’s Robbie Harvey started 2018 in spectacular fashion as he scored four goals in their 6-1 win over Dundee West Royal’s. Logan Brough opened the scoring and Mark Small finished it for Dundee SC. ACSC recorded a 4-1 win over Kirrie,



Kirrie Thistle visited Fairmuir in the second round of the Reilly Falconer Cup, and kept up their unbeaten run with a 5-2 win. Logan Richardson scored a hat trick, with Archie McLean and Jake Kettles also scoring.

Injuries and suspensions meant that both sides were without their first-choice goalkeepers for this tie, which was being played at the fifth attempt. There were only five minutes on the clock when Fairmuir took the lead. Mark Ross rose above Bradley Milne at a corner, and powered home a header from six yards.

Kirrie levelled through Archie McLean’s penalty, and went ahead when Logan Richardson broke from midfield and fired a shot past Jordan Adam.

Jake Kettles got Kirrie’s third 10 minutes after the break, and Richardson scored two in three minutes to complete his hat trick. Thomas Gibb drilled in a late consolation for Fairmuir.

Dryburgh won 9-0 against Douglas to advance to the quarter-finals, and Celtic Boys will join them after beating Maryfield 9-1.

Leon Winterton scored Broughty United’s goal in their 1-1 draw with Brechin. They avoided being on the end of a cup shock with a 5-4 win on penalties.

2017 saw Forfar Boys complete an astonishing quadruple, but Dundee West ensured they won’t repeat that feat in 2018. Forfar found themselves two to the good approaching half time, but Cameron Blacklock’s strike on the brink of half time gave Dundee West a route back into the match.

A third Forfar goal after the restart looked to have put them in control, but Aidan Law got Dundee West’s second. With the full-time whistle ready to be blown, Derron Forbes brought Dundee West level, and they went on to win the penalty shootout 5-4, and advance to the semi-final of the Dundee West Anniversary Cup.

Ferry Athletic were on league duty, and they picked up a big win over DUSC. Owen Boath took his tally in all competitions to 22 goals with a hat trick. Rian Clark scored twice, as did Charlie Massie. Jack Moir, Nicolas Matthew and Jamie Stracey also found the net.

ACSC are looking up the league table after beating Montrose 4-0. Kaden Houghton and Rui Gordon scored in the first half, while Logan Coull and Billy Rennie found the net in the second period.

In the Watson McInally League, St Andrews Colts beat Vale of Tay 9-0, Riverside won 5-1 against Monifieth, while Ryan Keillor and Bryan Dalgetty’s goals earned St Murdochs a 2-2 draw against Carnoustie.



Monifieth Athletic started the new year with a bang as they sealed a spot in their first ever cup final, thanks to a 4-1 win over Fairmuir in the semi-final of the Jean Pierre Babin Cup.

Robbie Flynn gave Fairmuir the lead inside two minutes when he pounced on a loose ball inside the Monifieth box, but the G Taylor League leaders came roaring back, and equalised two minutes later thanks to Aidan Lorente’s strike from the edge of the box.

The game settled down after the frantic opening, but neither goalkeeper was seriously troubled. Lorente put Monifieth ahead on the brink of half time with a superb curling shot from the right-hand side of the box.

Monifieth’s skipper completed his hat trick with a cool finish seven minutes after the restart.

A fingertip save from Thomas Welsh denied Flynn a second of the game, and Monifieth completed the scoring late on when Ross McLean tapped into an empty net after Shaun Watt could only parry Aaron Dewar’s effort.

They will take on Pitfour, who won 5-0 against Carnoustie. Alistar Alcorn got four second half goals, and Jordan Turnbull was also on target for the reigning champions.

Broughty Panthers won 5-1 against Forfar in the G Taylor League. Haaris Ahmed scored a hat trick, with Lewis Munro and Liam Jones also netted.

Dundee West hit the goal trail against DUSC as they rose to second in the league. Nick Fletcher scored seven times, Cavan McLaren, Logan Smith, Lewis Hutton got doubles. Keir Skinner, Luke Miller and an own goal completed the rout.

Celtic Boys started the new year with a 6-1 win over Broughty United. Cody Louge and Derren Gordon both got hat tricks.

Craig Low’s hat trick earned Riverside three points as they beat Montrose, and Ferry Athletic beat Dundee Thistle 5-0.



There will be a Broughty Ferry derby in the final of the John Clark Motors Cup. Broughty United won their semi-final with Jeanfield 9-8 on penalties after a 2-2 draw, while Ferry Athletic survived a late Fairmuir comeback to earn a 3-2 win.

There was an eerie symmetry to the Chuck McGowan Cup quarter-final results. Dryburgh CC and Lincraig both won 4-2 on penalties after 3-3 draws against Brechin and Dundee Thistle respectively, while a 4-2 win was enough for Monifieth advance past St Murdochs Colts.

St Murdochs knocked Forfar Albion out of the Queens Jubilee Cup after a 4-3 penalty win after a 2-2 draw.

In the Maryfield League, Dryburgh extended their lead at the summit with a 3-2 win over Logie Harp. Blairgowrie picked up a 2-0 win over Scone Thistle.

With their title rivals on cup duty, Riverside took full advantage and moved to the top of the W Mills League table with a 9-0 win over Dundee Rangers. Fergus Robertson and Michael Tinning were both at the double, while Aiden Stuart, Amine Atrih, Connor Spence, Mateusz Wierzbicki, Nathan Stewart, Owen Simpson, Paul Traynor, Ross Anderson, Samuel Gallacher all started the new year with a goal.



East Craigie Swifts and Ferry Athletic will face off in the final of the Steven Elwood Memorial Trophy after both recorded big wins in their semi-finals.

Matt McKinnon bagged a hat trick as East Craigie beat Forfar 6-0. Ewan Faulkner’s brace and Calum McCleary’s strike completed the scoring.

Ferry went one better and beat Celtic Boys 7-0 to earn a spot in the final. Cameron Murray netted from the penalty spot, Liam Crocket made it two before a double from Bradley Duff put Ferry in control. Murray headed in his second of the game before Ryan Patterson added Ferry’s sixth and seventh goals.  

Fairmuir won 6-1 against Dundee Rangers in the Dave Pullar League. Alex Martin scored twice, with Billy Young, Kieran McWilliam, Ryan Napier and Cammy Ross also on target.

Carnoustie Panmure made it three cup finals in three years after they beat Brechin City 2-0 in the J Cord Cup semi-final. In a repeat of last year’s Chuck McGowan Cup final.

Vincent Edmonds and Brandon Black’s first half goals ensured Carnoustie’s place in the final. They will take on St Andrews Colts, who beat Dryburgh 4-1.
Forfar West End beat DUSC 7-4 in the Bodycare Complimentary Clinics League. Partan Craig and Monifieth played out a 3-3 draw.



Ross Campbell’s hat trick helped Coupar Angus book a spot in the G Kerr Cup semi-final with a 6-2 win over Luncarty. Paul Scott got a double and Calum Cocker-Tough also scored.

In the Peter MacAvoy Cup, Fairmuir Violet beat Forfar WE 5-2. Goals from Ben Russell, Robbie Gallacher, Jack Taylor and two from Mitchell Hay were enough to get Fairmuir through. Ferry beat Monifieth Tayside in the other semi-final.

In the President League, Brechin beat Monifieth 3-2 to earn their first three points of the season and Letham Tans drew 2-2 against Kirrie.

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Login to post comments