Home My YFS

Dundee West in seven heaven after Wellgate Cup win

Ferry Athletic 1

Ogunlaja 33'

Dundee West 7

McCann 13', 54', McLaren 16', 32', Duncan 44', 45', Miller 49'
  • Sunday, 21 May 2017
  • North End Park
  • Under 14´s
  • Wellgate Cup

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Dundee West picked up their third trophy of the season with an emphatic 7-1 win over Ferry Athletic in the Wellgate Cup final. Braces from Jamie McCann, Cavan McLaren and Ryley Duncan, as well as Luke Miller’s strike secured the cup for Dundee West, who have now completed the treble. Moby Ogunlaja pulled one back for Ferry just before half time, but this didn’t stop a rampant Dundee West.

Ferry had already experienced cup final heartache as they went down 3-0 against Pitfour in the Dundee West Anniversary Cup earlier in the season, and were struggling to cope with Dundee West early on. Cavan McLaren’s low drive came off the base of the post after five minutes.

Captain Kai Meldrum had Ferry’s first chance after 12 minutes. Dundee West switched off at a Ferry free kick, but Meldrum couldn’t hit the target from a tight angle.

With 13 minutes gone, Dundee West took the lead in spectacular fashion. Jamie McCann picked the ball up inside his own half, and danced his way through the Ferry defenders before firing a low shot past Aaron Caird from the top of the box.

The Watson McInally League winners were bossing the game in the initial stages, and doubled their lead after 16 minutes. McLaren drove into the box from the right wing and beat Caird at the near post with a low drive.

Dundee West were threatening to run riot, as Luke Miller blasted the ball into the side netting two minutes later. Ferry nearly pulled one back through Jay Sorrie, but he put his effort just wide of the post.

As the half progressed, Ferry were seeing more of the ball, but were unable to create any clear-cut chances. As for Dundee West, they looked like scoring every time they went forward.

With three minutes of the first half remaining, Dundee West added a third. Captain Callum Rae’s cross was headed home by McLaren, who stooped low to beat Caird to the ball.

Ferry pulled one back 60 seconds later through Moby Ogunlaja. The forward latched on to a long ball and slid his shot past David Boylan. The goalkeeper had been untroubled for most of the match, but now had to pick the ball out of his net.


  • Half Time:
  • Ferry Athletic
  • 1-3
  • Dundee West

Dundee West started the second half on the front foot. Caird made a fine save with his feet to deny McLaren a second goal. However, there was nothing that the keeper could do about Ryley Duncan’s strike after 44 minutes. The Ferry number one got a fingertip to the midfielder’s shot, but couldn’t keep it out as the ball flew into the top corner.

Duncan doubled his tally two minutes later with another fine strike. The Dundee West man firing the ball past Caird from the edge of the box.

Dundee West found the net for the third time in nine minutes as Miller got his name on the scoresheet. The forward kept his composure to put the ball past the oncoming Caird and into the net.

Five minutes passed before Dundee West scored again, this time McCann found the net with a low finish through the legs of Caird.

Jack Tindal cleared Joel Grant’s effort off the line to keep Dundee West’s lead at six.

With eight minutes remaining, McCann had the chance to complete his hat trick. The midfielder was taken down inside the penalty area, but saw his spot kick well saved by Caird. The goalkeeper had had a difficult afternoon, bit this was a very impressive save.

Ogunlaja had the final chance of the game, as his first-time effort came off the base of the post.

On the day, Ferry were unable to cope with Dundee West’s attacking prowess. And while they will be hurting after losing two cup finals this season, reaching two cup finals is still an impressive achievement. They will learn from this experience, and will hope to lift a piece of silverware next season.

As for Dundee West, this completes what has been a dream season for them. Having already completed the league and couple double, they managed to beat Pitfour twice in the group stage of this competition, before beating Fairmuir in the semi-finals. To put that into perspective, Pitfour have also won a treble, and lost just one league game all season.

With a treble of their own now secured, they will turn their attentions to next season, and challenging the likes of Pitfour, Fairmuir and Arbroath for the league title. If they can keep this squad of players together, that is something that is most definitely doable.


  • Full Time:
  • Ferry Athletic
  • 1-7
  • Dundee West


Ferry Athletic
Dundee West
1. Aaron Caird
2. Daniel McNamee
3. Matthew Thom
4. Declan Murray
6. Jack Tindal
7. Moby Ogunlaja
8. Adam Lees
9. Kai Meldrum
10. Rory Smith
11. Jay Sorrie
16. Alexander Russel
17. Sam Grimes
18. Hari Caswell
22. Charlie Castle
1. David Boylan
2. Callum Rae
3. Lee Clark
4. Jude McIntosh
5. Cavan McLaren
7. Ryley Duncan
8. Logan Smith
9. Luke Miller
10. Logan Piggott
11. Cameron Wilson
15. Jamie McCann
16. Joel Grant
18. Morgan Harrow
Star Player
Ferry Athletic
Dundee West
Adam Lees – Gave his all in the centre of midfield. Used the ball well and never gave up.
Jamie McCann – Despite having his shorts pulled down mid-post-match interview, McCann had a fine day at the office. While he may feel that he should have had more than two goals, his drive and use of the ball were crucial to Dundee West’s success.
Magic Moment
Ferry Athletic
Dundee West
Caird’s Penalty Save – The goalkeeper had a tough afternoon but this was a top class save to deny McCann a hat trick.
McCann’s First Goal – This goal epitomised what was good about McCann’s performance. A superb run from his own half past numerous Ferry players, and he had the composure to find the bottom corner of the net at the end of it.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments