Home My YFS

Ferry strike late to seal East Region Cup

Kelty Hearts Colts 1

Parkes 54'

Ferry Athletic Yellows 2

Faulkner 61', Brown 90'
  • Thursday, 18 May 2017
  • The Canniepairt
  • Under 19´s
  • East Region Cup

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Adam Brown’s last minute header secured Ferry Yellows the inaugural East Region Cup. Connor Parkes’ goal had put 10-man Kelty in front, but Rory Faulkner brought Ferry level before Kelty were reduced to nine men.

Ferry suffered cup final heartache against Forfar West End on Sunday and were struggling to cope with Kelty early on. Ferry keeper Elliot Smith was called into action after four minutes as he pushed Ewan Ross’ free kick over the bar. Blair Whyte had Ferry’s first chance, as his effort was saved by Macaulay Jarrett after seven minutes.

Adam Brown had a golden chance for Ferry after 15 minutes. The striker beat Jarrett to a loose ball, but despite rounding the keeper, saw his shot smothered by the recovering goalie.

Cameron Hoskins nearly scored one of the goals of the season, but was denied by the woodwork. The striker hooked the ball towards goal, and despite the ball looking like it would loop over the bar, it came crashing off the underside of the bar before bouncing on the line and being cleared.

Kelty were dominating the midfield, as Ferry struggled to get a foothold in the game. Elliot Smith did well to keep out Declan Boyle’s well hit free kick.

A Ferry counter attack saw Brown fire wide after 36 minutes. Two minutes later, Kelty were reduced to 10-men as Calvin Fisher was dismissed for a second bookable offence.


  • Half Time:
  • Kelty Hearts Colts
  • 0-0
  • Ferry Athletic Yellows

Despite being a man down, Kelty opened the scoring after 54 minutes. Patient play at the top of the box saw Joseph Kirby pick out Connor Parkes inside the penalty, and he curled the ball across the face of goal into the far corner of the net. To their credit, Kelty hadn’t let their man disadvantage affect their style of play.

With an hour gone, Ferry changed their shape, and got themselves back into the game. Whyte’s cross picked out substitute Rory Faulkner, who steered the ball past Jarrett with his first touch of the game.

Ferry were in the ascendency, and looked to get themselves in front. Jay Foran forced Jarrett into a save after 64 minutes.

Hoskins danced his way into the penalty area after 71 minutes, but could only send his left foot shot straight at Jarrett. The Ferry striker was then denied by Calum Ritchie’s last ditch block with 15 minutes remaining.

Kelty’s task was made all the more challenging when Ross was dismissed after 77 minutes. Boyle then fired over after 83 minutes as the nine men nearly regained the lead. Elliot Smith then made a smart save to keep out Jordan Galloway’s free kick with four minutes remaining.

It was Ferry’s first substitute Faulkner that supplied their equaliser, and it was another of their substitutes that had the chance to put them ahead. Whyte’s cross was met by Liam Fitzsimmons, but he couldn’t direct his header on target.

A late goal denied Ferry cup glory on Sunday, and with the threat of a penalty shootout looming large, they were looking for one final chance.

With 90 minutes played, Fitzsimmons sent in a cross towards Brown, who steered his header into the bottom corner. They left it late, but Ferry had most definitely avenged their weekend cup defeat.

This was a tough one to take for Kelty, who despite their numerical disadvantage more than matched Ferry over the 90 minutes. If they had kept 11 men on the pitch, then they probably would have gone on to lift the cup.

As for Ferry, despite being far from their best, they’ve now added a second piece of silverware to their trophy cabinet. And while it looks like they will share the league title with Forfar West End, this has still been an incredibly successful season for this group of Ferry players.  



  • Full Time:
  • Kelty Hearts Colts
  • 1-2
  • Ferry Athletic Yellows


Kelty Hearts Colts
Ferry Athletic Yellows
13. Macaulay Jarrett
2. Joseph Kirby
3. Scott Wilkie
4. Ryan O'Donnell
5. Calum Ritchie
6. Lee Barclay
7. Calvin Fisher
9. Ewan Ross
11. Jordan Galloway
12. Declan Price
14. Kieran Gilruth
15. Lee Cook
16. Connor Parkes
17. Declan Boyle
19. Dean Rae
1. Elliot Smith
2. Liam Fitzsimmons
3. Kieran McDowall
4. Lewis Finnie
5. Logan Irvine
6. Blair Whyte
7. Cameron Hoskins
8. Harry Dow
9. Adam Brown
10. Jay Foran
11. Rory Faulkner
14. Arran Smith
16. Taylor Carroll
17. Andrew Kelly
Star Player
Kelty Hearts Colts
Ferry Athletic Yellows
Joseph Kirby - Ran the show from the centre of midfield. Some fantastic dribbling and set up his sides goal. Unlucky to be on the losing side.
Rory Faulkner - Despite only being on the pitch for 30 minutes, Faulkner's impact was immediate. His introduction seemed to kick his teammates into life and ultimately won them the cup.
Magic Moment
Kelty Hearts Colts
Ferry Athletic Yellows
Parkes' Goal - A fine strike that gave his side a deserved lead.
Brown's Goal - A fantastic header that won his side the cup.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments