Home My YFS

Dryburgh beat Broughty to step towards treble

Broughty United 1

Fyffe 22'

Dryburgh Athletic 3

Nelson 32', Stewart 53', Heary 79'
  • Sunday, 07 May 2017
  • North End Park
  • Under 15´s
  • Jean Pierre Babin Cup

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Dryburgh Athletic picked up their second piece of silverware of the season with a 3-1 win over Broughty United in the Jean Pierre Babin Cup final. Goals from Aidan Nelson, Ewan Stewart and Sol Heary secured the cup for Dryburgh, who trailed after Conor Fyffe opened the scoring for Broughty. The win means that Dryburgh just need to wrap up the league title to secure a domestic treble.

Broughty have spent most of the season near the bottom of the league table, but two wins in their last two games have secured their place in the top flight for next season. Both Conor Fyffe and semi-final hero Simon Sharpe had chances in the opening minutes, but neither tested Dryburgh keeper Aaron Cosgrove.

Both sides were competing well in the opening exchanges. Ross Mcnaughton’s effort after 20 minutes brought a save out of Broughty goalkeeper Conor Milton. Both Liam Clarke and Sharpe had efforts blocked inside the Dryburgh penalty area.

Broughty took the lead seconds later, courtesy of Fyffe. Clarke teed the ball up for Fyffe, who sliced his effort from the top of the box into the bottom right corner of Cosgrove’s net. Despite their lowly league position, Broughty were deservedly ahead.

Dryburgh went straight on the offensive. Arron Flynn’s header forced Milton into a save before Broughty had a golden opportunity to double their lead. Kieran Barron cut the ball back for Callum Howe, but he scooped his effort from the top of the box over the bar.

This was a chance that Broughty would rue not taking, as four minutes later, Dryburgh were level. The ball fell to Aidan Nelson at the top of the box, and the Dryburgh captain sent a superbly struck half volley across Milton into the bottom corner of the net.

Just before the half time whistle, Flynn headed another Mcnaughton corner wide, but the sides went off level at the break.


  • Half Time:
  • Broughty United
  • 1-1
  • Dryburgh Athletic

Broughty had the first chance of the second half, courtesy of good play by Sharpe. The striker managed to get in behind the Dryburgh defence, and square the ball past Cosgrove. The ball eventually fell for Clarke, but Cosgrove managed to get back across the goal and push the ball away.

Much like in the first half, a golden Broughty chance was swiftly followed by a Dryburgh goal. Dylan Smeaton won the ball deep in the Broughty half, and with Milton in no-man’s-land, his cross cum shot fell for Ewan Stewart, who fired the ball into the empty net after 53 minutes. The Dryburgh striker was the match winner for Monifieth High in the school’s cup final midweek, and he had given his side the all-important lead against Broughty.

Fyffe saw his shot saved by Cosgrove after 59 minutes, before Dryburgh went in search of a third goal. Marcus Gray managed to weave his way through the Broughty defence, but tried to squeeze the ball in at the near post rather than cut it back for one of his team mates.

Brandon McGinnis then fired over before Sol Heary missed the target after 65 minutes. Broughty had another chance to level the tie, but Jack Mitchell’s header looped just over the bar.

With 79 minutes gone, Broughty won a corner, but it was Dryburgh that got the games fourth goal. The ball was cleared up to Heary, who showed Robbie Johnson a clean pair of heels as raced towards goal, and drilled a low shot past Milton, securing Dryburgh the cup.

To their credit, Broughty continued to search for a second goal. Mitchell’s speculative free kick nearly caught out Cosgrove, who did well to push the ball away to safety. Gregor Tweed then slipped the ball through for Clarke, but he could only send his effort wide under pressure from Cosgrove.

With their top-flight status secured, this was very much a free hit for Broughty United. They made life tough for Dryburgh, and deserve credit for taking the game to the champions-elect from the first whistle to the last. They will hope to carry the momentum they have picked up recently into the start of next season, and finish as high in the league table as possible.

As for Dryburgh, it’s very much a case of two trophies down, one more to go. In Aidan Nelson and Ewan Stewart, they have two players that thrive in big matches, with the latter always seeming to find the net when his side needs a goal. With only a handful of league fixtures remaining, it looks highly likely that Dryburgh will go on to complete the treble, an accolade that few will begrudge this talented squad.

  • Full Time:
  • Broughty United
  • 1-3
  • Dryburgh Athletic


Broughty United
Dryburgh Athletic
1. Conor Milton
2. Harry Eaton
3. Kyle Cox
4. Jamie Ross
5. Jack Mitchell
6. Gregor Tweed
7. Callum Howe
8. Jack Gordon
9. Simon Sharpe
10. Robbie McDonald
11. Conor Fyffe
12. Robbie Johnson
14. Kieran Bannon
16. Liam Clark
99. Aaron Cosgrove
2. Ryan McKay
7. Ross Mcnaughton
8. Marcus Gray
9. Ewan Stewart
10. Ben Wilson
11. Sol Heary
14. Daryl Tosh
15. Keillor Lowe
16. Cory Finnigan
17. Jamie Gelly
25. Aidan Nelson
33. Kalin Jones
35. Arron Flynn
74. Brandon Mcginnis
77. Dylan Smeaton
Star Player
Broughty United
Dryburgh Athletic
Robbie Johnson - Epitomised everything that was good about Broughty. Worked himself into the ground, and made life tricky for the Dryburgh midfielders.
Aidan Nelson - A complete performance from the Dryburgh captain. Broke up play well, rarely gave the ball away and scored a stunning goal to bring his team level.
Magic Moment
Broughty United
Dryburgh Athletic
Fyffe's Goal - Not the cleanest of strikes, but the goal gave Broughty real belief that this could be their year, ultimately, it wasn't to be.
Nelson's Goal - Very much a case of cometh the hour, cometh the man, for the Dryburgh captain. A fantastic strike that sparked the comeback, and kept their treble dreams alive.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments