Home My YFS

Killie strike late to secure Dens Park point

Dundee FC 1

Anderson 2'

Kilmarnock FC 1

Paterson 89'
  • Thursday, 27 April 2017
  • Dens Park
  • Under 20´s
  • SPFL Development League

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Dundee drew 1-1 against Kilmarnock in the Development League at Dens Park. The Dees got off to the perfect start when Max Anderson found the net after 90 seconds. It looked like the Dees were set to pick up their second win of the week until Jack Paterson found the net with a fine solo effort in the 89th minute, ensuring the points were shared.

The Dees only had three players over the age of 16 in the squad, and it was one of the millennials that opened the scoring. Following a Killie corner, Mark Smith lead the counter attack, sending in a low cross from the left wing that was turned in from close range by Max Anderson.

Killie were seeing lots of the ball, but it was Dundee that went closest to scoring the second goal. Ian Smith’s cross was met by Marton Hornyik, but the young defender’s effort bounced wide of the post.

The visitors best chance came after 28 minutes. Scott McLean’s cut back was met by Ewan McLevy, but his effort sailed over the bar.


  • Half Time:
  • Dundee FC
  • 1-0
  • Kilmarnock FC

Dundee made two half time changes, as Mark Smith and Anderson were replaced by Taylor Berry and Matty Henvey. McLean managed to win the ball on the edge of the Dundee box, but fired wide.

Finlay Robertson nearly extended Dundee’s lead after 51 minutes. The midfielder intercepted a loose ball on the edge of the Killie box, and despite losing his footing as he rounded goalkeeper Devlin MacKay, managed to get a shot away, but the ball came back off the post.

Sam Dryden went close minutes later as he volleyed Lyall Cameron’s pass just wide of the post. Jack Paterson’s fierce drive was well held by Calum Ferrie. Dundee did have the ball in the net after 64 minutes, but Henvey was judged to be offside.

Henvey cut the ball back for Robertson after 74 minutes, and again the midfielder lost his footing, but still managed to set up Berry, who drilled his shot wide from the top of the box.

With eight minutes remaining, Dundee had a golden chance to secure the three points. Ian Smith raced away from the Killie defence before being taken down by MacKay. The officials took a moment before awarding the free kick, and then showed MacKay a yellow card.

Ian Smith took the resulting free kick, but his low effort was easily saved by the Killie keeper. With 89 minutes played, Killie got their equaliser. Paterson drove infield from the left wing and curled the ball past Ferrie from inside the box, securing a point for the Ayrshire side.


  • Full Time:
  • Dundee FC
  • 1-1
  • Kilmarnock FC


Dundee FC
Kilmarnock FC
1. Calum Ferrie
2. Sam Dryden
3. Brian Rice
4. Callum Moore
5. Reigan Thomson
6. Marton Hornyik
7. Josh Mulligan
8. Max Anderson
9. Mark Smith
10. Finlay Robertson
11. Ian Smith
12. Craig Allan
14. Matty Henvey
15. Taylor Berry
16. Lyall Cameron
1. Devlin MacKay
2. Kenneth Barr
3. Tomas Brindley
4. Sam Lidington
5. Thomas Dempsie
6. Taylor Queen
7. Ewan McLevy
8. Jack Paterson
9. Scott McLean
10. Josh Walker
11. Oliver McDonald
12. John Patrick Queen
13. Curtis Lyle
14. Edward Campbell
15. Robbie McCracken
Star Player
Dundee FC
Kilmarnock FC
Callum Moore - A fine performance from the Dundee midfielder. Used the ball well when going forward and was strong in the tackle.
Jack Paterson - Put in a good shift and came up with the all important equaliser.
Magic Moment
Dundee FC
Kilmarnock FC
Anderson's Goal - A cool finish that got Dundee off to the perfect start.
Paterson's Goal - A fine solo goal that earned his side a well earned point.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments