Home My YFS

Tayport sink St Andrews in final shootout

Tayport United 1

Addo 9'

St Andrews Colts 1

Rolland (p) 67'
  • Tayport United 1-1 St Andrews Colts (Tayport win 5-4 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 26 March 2017
  • North End Park
  • Under 19´s
  • J Cord Cup

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Tayport United overcame St Andrews Colts in a penalty shootout to win the J Cord Cup. Caleb Addo’s early strike had put Tayport in control for much of the tie, but an inspired performance from St Andrews keeper Steven Paterson kept his side in with a chance, a chance they capitalised on when Ben Rolland levelled the tie from the penalty spot. All nine of the first nine spot kicks were scored, but St Andrews Lewis Bearley saw his effort come back off the post, confirming Tayport as cup winners.

These two sides met in the league seven days earlier, with Tayport running out 4-1 winners. The men in red started on the front foot, Caleb Addo looked to have opened the scoring after seven minutes, but was denied by a fine save from Steven Paterson.

There was nothing the St Andrews keeper could do two minutes later, as Addo opened the scoring. Keir Little’s mishit shot falling kindly for Addo, who found the net from close range.

There was a confidence and swagger about Tayport’s play, as they forced St Andrews into more than one piece of last ditch defending. Matthew McDougall saw his effort saved by Steven Paterson after 17 minutes. In contrast, St Andrews were struggling to get out of their own half, and when they did the ball was rarely sticking up front.

Tayport were seeing a lot of the ball, but were lacking that killer instinct in the final third. St Andrews best chance came after 26 minutes through Ryan Brocklebank, but his free kick was just off target.

  • Half Time:
  • Tayport United
  • 1-0
  • St Andrews Colts

Tayport nearly got the second half off to the perfect start. Fraser Anderson’s corner was met by McDougall, but his acrobatic effort was off target.

Anderson’s free kick brought a fine save out Steven Paterson after 58 minutes. The keeper doing well to readjust and push the ball over the bar.

St Andrews were beginning to come into the game, while there was a growing sense amongst the Tayport players that one goal wasn’t going to be enough. Ryan Allan shooting wide for St Andrews just after the hour mark. Three minutes later, Ben Rolland’s cross was met by Allan, who was brought down inside the box, leading the ref to point to the penalty spot.

Rolland stepped up and drilled the ball into the bottom right corner, bringing St Andrews level in the final.

Both teams battled on, with both winning corners and free kicks in dangerous areas, but neither defence was seriously tested. In the last five minutes, the game burst into life. Tayport keeper Craig Rice had had a quiet afternoon, but produced a fine save to deny Ben Brunton with five minutes remaining.

In the second minute of injury time, Tayport’s Grant Paterson sent in a corner that flew into the net, sparking wild celebrations from the Tayport players, who hadn’t noticed that the referee had awarded St Andrews a free kick for a foul on one of the defenders.

  • Full Time:
  • Tayport United
  • 1-1
  • St Andrews Colts
Grant Paterson was the first taker in the shootout, and he found the bottom right corner, putting Tayport 1-0 ahead. Ben Rolland’s penalty in normal time forced the shootout, and the number 11 made no mistake with his second spot kick of the day, as he found the bottom right corner.

Luke O’Brien stepped up and found the net. Ryan Brocklebank was the fourth taker, and the fourth taker to find the bottom right corner.

Tayport captain Fraser Anderson saw Steven Patterson get a hand to his penalty, and despite the ball being pushed on to the bar, the ball bounced over the line, giving Tayport a 3-2 lead. Callum Reid stepped up and brought St Andrews level for a third time.

Tayport’s Liam Taylor and St Andrews Sean Samson both put their penalties in the bottom left corner.

Struan Christie blasted his penalty into the top right corner, putting Tayport 5-4 ahead. Lewis Brearley’s penalty had Rice beaten, but the ball came back of the post and out of play, confirming Tayport as the J Cord Cup winners.

Youth Football Scotland: Website Photos 16/17 &emdash;

Final Result: Tayport United 1-1 St Andrews Colts (Tayport win 5-4 on penalties)


Tayport United
St Andrews Colts
1. Craig Rice
2. James Hogarth
3. Craig Farquharson
4. Caleb Addo
5. Ben Haston
6. Liam Taylor
7. Harry Urban
8. Fraser Anderson
9. Grant Patterson
10. Matthew McDougall
11. Connor Anderson
14. Arran Graham
15. Luke O'Brien
16. Callum Watson
17. Struan Christie
20. Keir Little
1. Steven Patterson
2. Jack Ovenstone
3. Callum Reid
4. Nathan Henderson
5. Callum Thaw
6. Sam Todd
7. Jamie Scobie
8. Sean Samson
10. Ben Brunton
11. Ben Rolland
12. Scott Petrie
15. Callum Reid
16. Ryan Brocklebank
18. Aidan Croll
19. Ryan Allan
20. Lewis Brearley
Star Player
Tayport United
St Andrews Colts
Fraser Anderson - Dictated play from the centre of midfield and found the net in the shootout. A proper captains performance, and deservedly got his hands on the trophy.
Steven Patterson - Made a number of fine saves and kept his side in the game for long periods. Unlucky to be on the losing side.
Magic Moment
Tayport United
St Andrews Colts
Addo's Goal - A cool finish that got his side off to the perfect start.
Rolland's first Penalty - Scored the equaliser that for long periods looked like it might not come. Showed lots of composure under pressure.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments