Home My YFS

Fairmuir flattened by Dryburgh in title decider

Dryburgh Athletic 4

E. Stewart 9', 43', Wilson 64', Smeaton 76'

Fairmuir BC 1

Smith 55'
  • Sunday, 12 March 2017
  • South Road
  • Under 15´s
  • G Taylor League

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Dryburgh Athletic swept Fairmuir aside in the potential G Taylor League title decider. Ewan Stewart’s brace, as well as goals from Ben Wilson and Dylan Smeaton secured the three points that put Dryburgh level with Fairmuir, whose only goal came from Ryan Smith, at the top of the table.

The hosts have been victorious in their two previous meetings with Fairmuir this season, and with Fairmuir missing their influential captain Mark McCrory, Dryburgh got off to the perfect start as they took the lead after nine minutes. Fairmuir’s Kane Hynes failing to clear a long ball, and presenting the ball to Ewan Stewart, who drilled a low shot past Cameron Hendry at the near post.

Dryburgh were on top in the opening stages, and nearly added a second after 11 minutes, but Sol Heary hooked his effort wide. Fairmuir’s first chance came courtesy of Nairn Bonnar after 20 minutes, but the forwards effort was easily saved by Aaron Cosgrove.

Fairmuir were beginning to grow into the match, and had their best chance of the game after 29 minutes. Ryan Smith’s free kick looked destined to end up in the back of the net, but Cosgrove managed to get his fingertips to the ball and push it over the bar.

Dryburgh would have added a second five minutes before the break if not for some excellent goalkeeping by Hendry. Ewan Stewart again getting away from the Fairmuir defence but was thwarted by the Fairmuir keeper, who got down low to push the shot away. The resulting corner eventually fell for Ewan Stewart, but Hendry again kept out the low shot with his feet.

  • Half Time:
  • Dryburgh Athletic
  • 1-0
  • Fairmuir BC

The hosts got the second half off to the ideal start, scoring their second goal three minutes after the restart. Ewan Stewart showing the Fairmuir defence a clean pair of heels as he raced towards Hendry’s goal, and despite the Fairmuir appeals for offside, the Dryburgh striker tucked the ball past Hendry.

Despite the early Dryburgh goal, Fairmuir were continuing to improve and with 55 minutes gone, they pulled a goal back. Alex Stewart’s free kick was flicked into the box by Ethan Samson, into the path of Ryan Smith, who fired the ball into the bottom corner of Cosgrove’s net.

Ewan Stewart nearly completed his hat trick four minutes after Fairmuir’s goal. The striker lifting the ball over Hendry, but Hynes managed to head the ball out of play from under the crossbar. An unorthodox but useful piece of defending from the Fairmuir man, who atoned for his error at the first goal in the process.

Just after the hour mark, Fairmuir nearly got an equaliser. Smith leading the counterattack and his pass was met by Jake Grady but the striker didn’t get a proper connection on his volley, and Cosgrove gathered the ball.

Just as a Fairmuir equaliser was looking more and more likely, Dryburgh added a third. Hendry was unable to gather a loose ball which resulted in Ben Wilson having the simplest task of rolling the ball into an empty net. An uncharacteristic error from Hendry, who had kept Fairmuir in the game for much of the first half.

Dryburgh were in now in the driving seat and looked to make their advantage count. Dylan Smeaton's pop shot bringing a save out of Hendry. Fairmuir were searching for a route back in to the game, and saw Cosgrove keep out Bonnar’s effort after 73 minutes.

Hynes was the next Fairmuir player to try his luck, but his strike was easily saved by the Dryburgh keeper. There was still time remaining for another goal, and it went to Dryburgh. Daryl Tosh’s cross was headed in by Smeaton with four minutes remaining, sealing the victory for Dryburgh.

Fairmuir will know that this was their opportunity to go and open a gap at the top of the table today, an opportunity that they failed to take. They will now rely on one of the other teams in the league to take points of Dryburgh, while they will need to win all their remaining matches to keep their title hopes alive.

As for Dryburgh, this match showed why they have been so successful this season. While they can play more attractive football than they showed today, they managed to limit Fairmuir to a handful of chances, and made their home advantage count. The result means they are now level with Fairmuir at the top of the league table, with a game in hand and while there is no guarantee that they will win this game in hand, they are now in pole position to win the league.       

  • Full Time:
  • Dryburgh Athletic
  • 4-1
  • Fairmuir BC


Dryburgh Athletic
Fairmuir BC
99. Aaron Cosgrove
7. Ross McNaughton
8. Marcus Gray
9. Ewan Stewart
10. Ben Wilson
11. Sol Heary
14. Daryl Tosh
15. Keillor Lowe
16. Cory Finnigan
17. Jamie Gelly
25. Aidan Nelson
33. Kalin Jones
35. Arron Flynn
74. Brandon Mcginnis
77. Dylan Smeaton
1. Cameron Hendry
2. Evan Adam
4. Alex Stewart
5. Ben Tolmie
6. Seff Mohammed
7. Ryan Smith
9. Jake Grady
10. Jamie Timmons
11. Nairn Bonnar
14. Jack Whyte
15. Josh Hamilton
17. Ethan Samson
20. Kane Hynes
Star Player
Dryburgh Athletic
Fairmuir BC
Ewan Stewart - Ran the Fairmuir defence ragged and bagged a brace in what was an excellent performance.
Josh Hamilton - A second half substitute, Hamilton brought the drive and determination to the Fairmuir midfield that was sorely missing in the first half. If he had started the match, the outcome may have been different.
Magic Moment
Dryburgh Athletic
Fairmuir BC
Stewart's First Goal - A clinical finish that got Dryburgh off to the perfect start.
Smith's Goal - A good strike that offered Fairmuir a lifeline in the match.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments