Print this page

Sharpe fires Broughty United into first final

Broughty United 4

Tweed 8', Sharpe 25', 35', 37'

Celtic Boys 2

Murray 45', Forbes 80'

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Broughty United secured their place in the final of the Jean Pierre Babin Cup with a 4-2 victory over Celtic Boys. The hosts lead 4-0 at the break, courtesy of Gregor Tweed’s early header and Simon Sharpe’s 12-minute hat trick. Celtic fought back in the second half with goals from Kier Murray and Jamie Forbes halving the deficit but it was too little too late for the visitors and Broughty will now face off against treble chasing Dryburgh in the final.

After a back and forth opening, Broughty went ahead after eight minutes. Callum Howe’s out swinging corner was met by Gregor Tweed, who did well to loop his header under the crossbar from close range.

Celtic goalkeeper Rikki McLaren was called into action six minutes later. Jack Mitchell’s free kick from deep was missed by all the players in the box and the keeper did well to push the ball away from danger. Mitchell was causing problems from set pieces, the defenders free kick from the top of the box clipping the outside of the post after 21 minutes.

The conditions in the first half weren’t helping Celtic, playing up the hill and into the wind was always going to test them, but things were about to go from bad to worse after 25 minutes. Kieran Barron won possession high up the park from a Celtic goal kick and unselfishly set up Simon Sharpe, who rolled the ball into the empty net, doubling Broughty’s lead.    

Celtic continued to try and take the game to the hosts, Lloyd Brankin fired wide after 29 minutes. Sharpe nearly doubled his tally after half an hour, getting on the end of Howe’s pass, but his attempt to chip the ball over Mclaren was unsuccessful, as the keeper gathered the ball. The Broughty number nine was in again moments later, but was again denied by McLaren, with the rebound not quite falling for Jack Gordon, who was waiting to add his sides third.

Broughty would add a third, and Sharpe would be the man to get it. Another sloppy goal kick from Celtic presented the ball to Sharp 25 yards from goal, and the striker jinked his way through the Celtic defenders, before calmly finishing past McLaren.

With just three minutes of the first half remaining, Sharpe completed his hat trick. Gordon feeding the ball through to the striker, who lifted the ball over McLaren, giving his side a 4-0 lead at the break.


With the conditions now in their favour, Celtic began the second half on the front foot. The visitors were awarded a free kick after 45 minutes, and despite the Broughty protests, Keir Murray stepped up and curled the ball into the top corner, giving keeper Connor Milton no chance.

Broughty’s Barron brought a save out of new Celtic stopper Jude Holme after 47 minutes, as the hosts now battled the conditions. A long ball caught out the Broughty defence allowing Jamie Forbes in on goal, but Harry Eaton managed to get back and deny the striker a shooting opportunity.

Celtic were seeing lots of the ball, but were failing to turn their possession into clear cut chances. David Heenan saw his effort saved by Milton after 68 minutes.

Milton was forced to deal with a long free kick in the final minutes, the keeper producing a fine save to keep the ball out of the net. The resulting corner was sent in by Connor Donnan, and met by Murray, but his header came back off the cross bar, before being cleared as far as Forbes, who’s strike dipped over Milton and into the net.

This was a disappointing result for Celtic Boys, who despite seeing a lot of possession, failed to create many clear-cut opportunities. Two of the four Broughty goals were preventable from Celtic’s point of view, and they will now turn their attentions to the league, and finishing in as high a position as possible.

On the other hand, this was a solid performance from a Broughty side that has struggled for form in the league this season. In the first half, they were ruthless in front of goal and made their home advantage count in tricky conditions, while they were only beaten by two super strikes in the second period. Dryburgh Athletic now stand between Broughty and the Jean Pierre Babin Cup, and while Dryburgh will be favourites on the day, this is a talented Broughty squad who will be believing that this is their year.  


Broughty United
Celtic Boys
1. Conor Milton
2. Harry Eaton
3. Kyle Cox
4. Jamie Ross
5. Jack Mitchell
6. Gregor Tweed
7. Callum Howe
8. Jack Gordon
9. Simon Sharpe
10. Robbie McDonald
11. Conor Fyffe
12. Robbie Johnson
14. Kieran Bannon
16. Liam Clark
21. Rikki McLaren
1. Jude Holme
2. Logan Bonella
3. Jack Renton
4. David Stewart
5. Callum Anderson
6. Jaye Elder
7. Connor Donnan
9. Jamie Forbes
10. Jay McDonald
11. Liam Charnock
12. Lloyd Brankin
14. Mathew McDonald
15. Nathan Ford
17. David Heenan
18. Keir Murray
Star Player
Broughty United
Celtic Boys
Simon Sharpe - Lead the line well for Broughty, bagging a hat trick in the first half, and relieving pressure on the back four in the second. Will be hoping for a similar performance in the cup final.
Keir Murray - The midfielder was the best player in a Celtic shirt, used the ball well and scored a peach of a free kick. Very unlucky to be on the losing side.
Magic Moment
Broughty United
Celtic Boys
Sharpe's second goal - A superb solo run and a composed finish.
Murray's free kick - Broughty will argue that the awarding of a free kick was wrong, but what can't be argued is that this was a top quality strike from the Celtic midfielder.

Latest from Andrew Creegan

Related items

Login to post comments