Home My YFS

Fairmuir and Dryburgh serve up pre Christmas cracker

Fairmuir BC 2

Timmons 2', Grady 40+1'

Dryburgh Athletic 2

Stewart 6', Gelly 54'
  • Fairmuir BC 2-2 Dryburgh Athletic (Dryburgh win 4-3 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 11 December 2016
  • Graham Street
  • Under 15´s
  • Tommy Clark Trophy

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Dryburgh Athletic booked their place in the semi-finals of the Tommy Clark Trophy courtesy of a penalty shootout against Fairmuir. The top two teams in the G Taylor League both found the net inside the opening six minutes. Fairmuir regained the lead moments before half time, but Dryburgh levelled midway through the second half, before going on to win the penalty shootout by four goals to three.
The visitors were looking to bounce back from their first defeat of the season last week, but got off to a nightmare start as Fairmuir opened the scoring after just 68 seconds. Jamie Timmons corner was missed by goalkeeper Aaron Cosgrove and the ball somehow found its way into the net. This was a perfect start for the hosts who lost the first meeting of the sides 4-2 earlier in the season.
Dryburgh were not prepared to lie down, and could have levelled seconds later. Marcus Gray sent Ewan Stewart through on goal, but the striker was denied by Fairmuir goalkeeper Cameron Hendry.
There was nothing that Hendry could do four minutes later, as Stewart brought Dryburgh level. Ben Wilson was sent down the right wing, and despite the Fairmuir appeals for offside, the winger picked out Stewart, who sent the ball past Hendry from close range.
Both sides sensed that the game was there for the taking, and Fairmuir were nearly back in front after 11 minutes. Captain Mark McCrory picked out Seff Mohammed, but the midfielder dragged his effort wide.
With 19 minutes played, Dryburgh captain Aidan Nelson looked to have given his side the lead. The midfielder’s shot deflected off a Fairmuir defender and looped up and over Hendry. As the ball dropped on the goal line, the Dryburgh players began to celebrate, but the referee judged that the ball hadn’t crossed the line.
The quality that both sides possess was clear for all to see as both teams searched for the matches third goal. Cosgrove produced a fine save to keep out Ryan Smith’s well hit free kick.
It looked like the sides would go off level at the break, that was until Jake Grady put Fairmuir back in front in first half injury time. The striker with a tidy turn inside the penalty area to create half a yard, before drilling the ball past Cosgrove into the far corner of the net.
  • Half Time:
  • Fairmuir BC
  • 2-1
  • Dryburgh Athletic
The second half began in the same back and forth manner that the first had been played in. Fairmuir substitute Nairn Bonnar sent his effort from the top of the box inches wide of the post after 48 minutes.
Six minutes later, the visitors were level. Ross McNaughton sent in a corner to the back post that caught out Hendry and the ball was forced over the line by Jamie Gelly. This was a tough one to take for Fairmuir, who had lost the influential McCrory to injury moments later.
Despite the setbacks, Fairmuir were next to threaten, first through Josh Hamilton’s effort from the top of the box, and then through Bonnar’s close range header.
Hendry had to be at his best to keep out Arron Flynn’s volley just after the hour mark. The Fairmuir stopper acrobatically tipping the defenders volley onto the bar. Both sides continued to search for a winner, but both defences stood firm, meaning the game would be decided by penalties.
  • Full Time:
  • Fairmuir BC
  • 2-2
  • Dryburgh Athletic
Nairn Bonnar was the first taker in the shootout and the Fairmuir winger smashed his penalty straight down the middle, giving his side the lead. Sol Heary stepped up for Dryburgh, but dragged his effort wide of the mark.

Ryan Smith was next up for Fairmuir and the striker calmly slotted the ball into the bottom right corner, putting Fairmuir two to the good in the shootout. Aidan Nelson stepped up for Dryburgh, and gave Hendry no chance as he found the side netting.

Alex Stewart stepped up for Fairmuir, but the defender’s penalty was kept out by Cosgrove. Aaron Flynn stepped up and found the net, bringing Dryburgh level in the shootout. Jake Grady was next up for Fairmuir, and the striker emphatically found the net.

Not to be out done, Ewan Stewart stepped up and sent his penalty into the top right corner. With the shootout level at 3-3, Seff Mohammed stepped up for Fairmuir, but his penalty was easily saved by Cosgrove. The responsibility of the final kick lay with Ross McNaughton, who found the net and booked Dryburgh’s place in the semi-final.

This result is a tough one to take for Fairmuir who, despite more than matching Dryburgh on the day, have now been knocked out both the Tommy Clark Trophy and Jean Pierre Babin Cup before Christmas. They will now turn their attentions to catching Dryburgh in the league, something that will be difficult, but not out with the realms of possibility.

Dryburgh will know that they rode their luck at times today, but they got the job done, which is the most important thing in cup matches. They have put themselves in the position to have a very successful and memorable season, and will be seen as favourites for all the competitions they are currently in. This will bring about a different type of pressure for Dryburgh, and whether they can handle it, only time will tell.

Final Result: Fairmuir BC 2-2 Dryburgh Athletic (Dryburgh win 4-3 on penalties)


Fairmuir BC
Dryburgh Athletic
1. Cameron Hendry
2. Evan Adam
3. Mark McCrory
4. Alex Stewart
5. Ben Tolmie
6. Seff Mohammed
9. Jake Grady
10. Jamie Timmons
11. Nairn Bonnar
12. Ryan Smith
14. Jack Whyte
15. Josh Hamilton
17. Ethan Samson
20. Kane Hynes
99. Aaron Cosgrove
2. Ryan McKay
7. Ross McNaughton
8. Marcus Gray
9. Ewan Stewart
10. Ben Wilson
11. Sol Heary
14. Daryl Tosh
15. Keillor Lowe
16. Cory Finnigan
17. Jamie Gelly
25. Aidan Nelson
33. Kalin Jones
35. Arron Flynn
74. Brandon Mcginnis
77. Dylan Smeaton
Star Player
Fairmuir BC
Dryburgh Athletic
Kane Hynes - The Fairmuir defensive unit coped well with the pace and power of the Dryburgh frontline but Hynes was the best of the bunch. Won nearly everything in the air and some good distribution in what was a solid performance.
Ross McNaughton - The midfielder was at the heart of most of Dryburgh's attacks and got the assist for the second goal. Showed excellent composure to bury the winning penalty.
Magic Moment
Fairmuir BC
Dryburgh Athletic
Grady's Goal - A superb bit of skill to create the space, and an expert finish that gave his side the lead just before the break.
Cosgrove's Penalty Saves - Technically two moments but both were equally important as the keeper set his side up for victory.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments