Home My YFS

Ferry Yellows see off Dundee United SC in Scottish Cup

Dundee United SC 0

Ferry Yellows 4

Hoskins 16', 56', Brown 71', 76'
  • Sunday, 11 September 2016
  • Craigie Astro
  • Under 19´s
  • Scottish Cup

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Ferry Yellows advanced into the second round of the Scottish Cup after a convincing 4-0 victory over Dundee United SC. Ferry dominated for long spells of the match and goals either side of half time from Cameron Hoskins and a late brace from Adam Brown were enough to see last season’s Henry Dolan Cup winners over the line against a lacklustre United side.
United started brightly and could have been ahead within two minutes. Nathan Taylor got in behind the Ferry backline but couldn’t get enough on his shot to trouble Ferry keeper Elliot Smith. Ferry’s first effort came courtesy of Harry Dow, however the midfielder’s effort from 20 yards didn’t trouble Aaron Smith in the United goal.
The hosts created a golden opportunity with 11 minutes played. Mathew Millar was gifted to much space at a free kick, but mistimed his jump and couldn’t connect with Bryan Docherty’s delivery. From this free kick, Ferry broke up the pitch and Cameron Hoskins low drive forced Aaron Smith into making a smart save.
Ferry were starting to impose themselves on the match and with 15 minutes played took the lead. Jack Hogarth lifted a clever pass into the path of Hoskins who held off Callum Walls and drilled the ball across Aaron Smith and into the net.
Lewis Fyfe went close for United two minutes after the opener. Calum King’s cross was knocked down by Gareth Mowett into the path of Fyfe, but the midfielder’s effort sailed over the cross bar.
United’s Kennedy Pyper picked up a yellow card after a foul on Jay Foran. The Ferry winger took the resulting free kick, but his effort was wide of the mark.
Ferry keeper Elliot Smith produced a super save to keep out Docherty’s free kick after 35 minutes. Docherty’s in-swinging shot looked destined for the net, but Ferry’s number one pushed the ball away from danger.
With the half time whistle approaching, United squandered two chances to go level. The first came the way of Mowett who got to a loose ball before Elliot Smith, but couldn’t get a shot away from a tight angle.
The second chance should have resulted in an equaliser. Taylor chased down a long ball, but the striker took the ball wide. The forward managed to pick Docherty and the left backs effort brought another good save out of Elliot Smith.
Ferry went into the break ahead, but Dundee United SC were beginning to look dangerous. 
  • Half Time:
  • Dundee United SC
  • 0-1
  • Ferry Yellows
Dundee United SC started the second half brightly, both Taylor and Harley Wallace sending efforts off target in the opening stages of the second half. Docherty was next to have a go with another free kick. Elliot Smith having to be at his best again to keep the ball out of the net.
With 56 minutes played, and United knocking at the door, Ferry grabbed a second goal. Hoskins raced on to a long ball and fired his shot towards the bottom corner. Despite Aaron Smith getting a hand on the shot, the ball found its way into the net, and Ferry were two to the good.
The visitors were beginning to control the match, using the blustery conditions to their advantage, and with an hour gone, Hoskins nearly completed his hat trick. Andrew Kelly picked out the forward, but his low effort flashed wide. Six minutes later, Ferry’s Taylor Carroll sent his effort from the top of the box just over the crossbar.
With 20 minutes remaining, Ferry wrapped the game up. Carroll picked out Adam Brown with a well weighted cross, and the striker turned the ball into the far corner of the net, and all but put Ferry Yellows name in the hat for the second round draw.
Brown would have had his second goal five minutes later, but his low shot was well blocked by the outstretched leg of goalkeeper Aaron Smith. Brown would find the net again, just 60 seconds after this chance. The striker got on the end of a long ball from Carroll, and sent a stunning first time volley from the right hand side of the box past Smith, who barely had time to react.
Brown should have grabbed a third on 80 minutes. The striker got on the end of Foran’s delivery, but couldn’t steer his header on target. United created the last chance of the match in injury time, King headed the ball into the path of Kieran Ross, but the substitute couldn’t hit the target.
For Dundee United SC, this slip up means their Scottish Cup run is over before it had even begun and they will now set their sights on challenging for the league title and retaining the J Cord Cup that they won last season. Ferry Yellows on the other hand look like a team that are well equipped to go into the latter rounds of this competition. Definitely a side that the favourites for this competition will want to avoid. 
  • Full Time:
  • Dundee United SC
  • 0-4
  • Ferry Yellows


Dundee United SC
Ferry Yellows
23. Aaron Smith
2. Ben Reid
3. Harley Wallace
4. Kennedy Pyper
6. Nathan Taylor
8. Jay Robertson
9. Callum Walls
10. Lewis Fyfe
11. Calum King
14. Mathew Millar
15. Bryan Docherty
17. Kieran Ross
18. Gareth Mowett
22. Matthew Millar
1. Elliot Smith
2. Cameron Oldham
3. Kieran McDowall
4. Lewis Finnie
5. Logan Irving
6. Blair Whyte
7. Cameron Hoskins
8. Harry Dow
9. Adam Brown
10. Jay Foran
11. Rory Faulkner
12. Ross Farmer
14. Kyle Anderson
15. Jack Hogarth
17. Andrew Kelly
Star Player
Dundee United SC
Ferry Yellows
Bryan Docherty - The United left back looked the most likely to find the net with his free kicks and coped well defensively given the conditions.
Cameron Hoskins - The Ferry forward caused the United backline plenty of issues and got himself two well earned goals. A solid performance.
Magic Moment
Dundee United SC
Ferry Yellows
Docherty's Second Half Free Kick - The closest that anyone in a tangerine shirt came to putting the ball in the net all afternoon. A well hit effort that, on another day, may have crept in.
Brown's Second Goal - A stunning strike that caught everyone, including the United goalkeeper by surprise. The goal was the icing on the cake for Ferry, who will be feeling confident ahead of the second round draw.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments