Home My YFS

Familiar feeling as Carnoustie rescue point against Dundee Rangers

Dundee Rangers 2

Shannon 35', Birse 70'

Carnoustie Panmure 2

Rourke 36', 76'
  • Sunday, 04 September 2016
  • St Saviours
  • Under 16´s
  • W Mills League

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Brogan Rourke’s late free kick rescued a point for Carnoustie Panmure against Dundee Rangers in a repeat of last season’s J Bolton Cup final. Rangers lifted the cup that day after a penalty shootout win following a 2-2 draw in normal time. Carnoustie had to come from behind twice that day and did it the hard way again this time around, twice coming from behind to secure a point.
Carnoustie started the match brightly with Robbie Tait and Glen Maxwell both having efforts at goal inside the opening minutes of the game. Jamie Goodfellow had Rangers first opportunity of the game, but his effort from the top of the penalty area sailed over the crossbar.
Carnoustie goalkeeper Aidan Robertson was called into action after 11 minutes. Rangers midfielder Matthew Gorrie found space at a corner and his close range header looked to be heading for the net until the ball smacked off Robertson’s face and away from danger.
Dundee Rangers should have opened the scoring after 15 minutes. Jack Campbell’s long throw landed at the feet of Goodfellow inside the penalty area, but the midfielder didn’t get enough on his shot, allowing a relieved Robertson to gather.
Rangers stopper Scott Regan was called into action on 23 minutes. The goalkeeper pulling of a super save to deny Tait. The resulting corner was met by Stewart Morman, but his header was off target. Regan was called into action moments later, this time denying Brogan Rourke.
The game was beginning to open up and with 35 minutes played, Rangers took the lead. The ball made its way through to striker Declan Shannon who showed excellent composure to take the ball into the penalty area, and side foot past Robertson into the corner of the net. Despite falling behind, it wouldn’t take Carnoustie long to tie the game up.
As Rangers looked to double their advantage, the ball broke loose in the middle of the park. Shaun Roeleveld played an excellent ball in behind the Rangers defence for Rourke to run onto. The forward drove forward, and smashed the ball across Regan into the far corner of the net, meaning the game would be level at the break.     
  • Half Time:
  • Dundee Rangers
  • 1-1
  • Carnoustie Panmure
The second half started in the same back and forth fashion as the first had finished. Goodfellow’s shot tested Robertson for Rangers moments after the restart. Carnoustie’s Owen Muir was next to try his luck, but his effort was dealt with by Regan. Rangers were seeing a lot of the ball, with Carnoustie seemingly content to hit on the break, but failed to cause Robertson any real problems.
With an hour played Carnoustie were nearly in front. A Carnoustie corner resulted in Gorrie having to clear the ball of the line, and away for a second corner in quick succession. The resulting delivery fell to Mill, but his effort was wide of the mark.
After 62 minutes, Carnoustie were gifted the best chance of the half. The ball deflected of Rangers defender Craig Heggie into the path of Rourke who was in one on one with Regan. The Rangers goalkeeper did well to smother the shot, but Carnoustie should have been ahead.
With 10 minutes remaining, Rangers were back in front. Daniel Wardlaw did well to control the ball in the area and tee up Brandon Birse, who having previously been denied by Robertson, drilled the ball into the bottom corner.
With time against them, Carnoustie had to go for it. Michael Nobes low effort was well held by Regan.  
With just 4 minutes remaining, Carnoustie were level. The visitors won a free kick 25 yards out and Rourke’s effort wrong-footed Regan and crept into the corner of the net. Neither side managed to create a clear cut opportunity in the time remaining.
The frustration amongst the Dundee Rangers players at the full time whistle was clear to see. Despite being on the front foot for the majority of the second half, they failed to trouble Robertson in the Carnoustie goal. The visitors will know that they can play at a higher standard than they showed today, but deserved their point from this match.
  • Full Time:
  • Dundee Rangers
  • 2-2
  • Carnoustie Panmure


Dundee Rangers
Carnoustie Panmure
21. Scott Regan
2. Josh Mcleary
3. Callum Low
5. Brandon Kirk
6. Matthew Gorrie
8. Brandon Birse
10. Kevin Smith
11. Daniel Wardlaw
14. Declan Shannon
19. Jamie Goodfellow
20. Sam Lucas
23. Craig Heggie
25. Ben Innes
36. Aaron Robertson
43. Jack Campbell
24. Aidan Robertson
1. Craig MacDonald
2. Cameron Hope
3. Stewart Morman
5. Ethan O'Hare
6. Robbie Tait
7. Glen Maxwell
8. Shaun Roeleveld
9. Cameron O'Donnell
10. Cameron Thornbury
11. Michael Nobes
12. Jamie Claxton
14. Dylan Winton
16. Brogan Rourke
18. Owen Milne
20. Kevin Clark
Star Player
Dundee Rangers
Carnoustie Panmure
Matthew Gorrie - The Rangers midfielder was at the heart of everything his side did. Excellent close control and some super set piece deliveries. A solid performance.
Brogan Rourke - Managed to get himself a brace and looked dangerous all afternoon but may feel that he should have had more.
Magic Moment
Dundee Rangers
Carnoustie Panmure
Birse's Goal - An excellent strike that gave his side the lead late on in the match.
Rourke's Second Goal - Not the best free kick that the forward will ever score but it secured a valuable point for his side.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments