Home My YFS

Ferry leave it late on derby day against Douglas

Douglas Lads BC 3

Miller 27', Logue 29', Own Goal 42'

Ferry Athletic 4

Ogunlaja 9', Lees 45', 67', Meldrum 80+1'
  • Sunday, 28 August 2016
  • Claypotts Park
  • Under 14´s
  • DS Rennie League

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Kai Meldrum’s late header secured a victory for Ferry Athletic in the derby against Douglas Lads. In what was a back and forth match Douglas lead 3-1 early in the second half, but Ferry rallied and managed to secure all three points.
The match was preceded by a minute’s silence in memory of Kieran McDade. The 13-year-old passed away on Friday, after collapsing during a training session the week previous. The minute’s silence was well observed by both sets of players, coaches and parents.
Ferry started the game on the front foot and were nearly ahead inside 2 minutes. Kai Meldrum picked out Declan Murray with a cross, but the midfielders effort was cleared off the line and the rebound sailed over the bar.
The visitors continued to look dangerous and should have been ahead after 7 minutes. Adam Lees raced on to Jay Sorrie’s pass and was in one on one with the Douglas goalkeeper Aaron Livie. The Ferry frontman attempted to chip Livie, but scooped the ball over the bar.
The warning signs were there for Douglas and after 9 minutes they were behind. The hosts failed to clear a Ferry corner and the ball broke to Moby Ogunlaja. The midfielder did well to steer his low left foot volley past Livie, giving Ferry a deserved lead.
Ferry had the perfect chance to double their lead just three minutes later. Lees was bundled over inside the penalty area and the referee pointed to the spot. Ogunlaja stepped up, but his low effort came off the outside of the post, and out for a goal kick.
As the half went on, Ferry continued to apply pressure to the Douglas goal. Livie made a fine save to deny Sorrie and the rebound wouldn’t fall for Lees, who would have had an empty net to shoot at.
With 22 minutes played, a moment of controversy occurred. Douglas forward Luke Miller appeared to have grabbed his side an equaliser after an error from Aaron Caird. The ball appeared to have nestled in the side netting, resulting in celebrations from the Douglas player, but the referee said no goal and Ferry cleared the ball.
The hosts wouldn’t have to wait long until they were level. Miller, who thought he had brought his side level a few minutes previous got the goal, turning the ball in from close range following a corner.
The goal seemed to spark Douglas into life and two minutes later, they were ahead. Cody Logue’s effort from the top of the box deflected off Sam Grimes, wrong footing Caird in the process, and ended up in the net. Things almost got better for Douglas as Logue nearly doubled his tally, but his effort crashed of the crossbar.
At half time Douglas could feel a tad fortunate to be in the lead. Ferry were dominant in the opening exchanges and should have been further ahead. However, the hosts had done well to get themselves in front at the break.
  • Half Time:
  • Douglas Lads BC
  • 2-1
  • Ferry Athletic
The conditions were making things tricky for both sets of players and one YFS reporter. As the rain continued to fall, Douglas got the second half off to the perfect start. 2 minutes after the break, Kevin Emerson sent in a cross from the left wing that was fumbled by Caird and the ball dropped into the net.
Ferry were not prepared to lie down, and halved the deficit three minutes later. Lees picked the ball up on the left wing, cut inside and slotted the ball under Livie in the Douglas goal.
Both sides sensed that the game was there to be won. Meldrum saw his effort saved by Livie seconds after Ferry’s second goal. Moments later, Ogunlaja’s low drive came off the base of the post.
Both sides continued to press, but neither goalkeeper was seriously troubled. As the rain continued to fall both sides began putting in fierce challenges and occasionally, both sides managers had to intervene. Douglas manager Daniel Ferguson did well to defuse one situation, by slipping on his backside while trying to separate two players.
Livie was called into action just after the hour mark. A Ferry free kick was whipped in and the Douglas stopper did well to gather the ball from under his body, as the Ferry players attempted to force the ball over the line.
With 67 minutes played, Ferry were level. Jack Black picked out Ogunlaja who found Lees. As the striker raced down on goal, he kept his composure and slotted past Livie.
As the game was tied up at 3-3, it was clear that neither of the two sides were content with a point. Taylor Houston had a golden opportunity to put Douglas back in front, but the striker fired his shot from close range over the bar after 69 minutes.
With only a few minutes left on the clock, Ferry should have been in front. Meldrum, who had well and truly established himself as the pantomime villain of this match following an earlier exchange with parents on the Douglas touchline, powered his way through on goal. Unfortunately for Meldrum, the quality of his finish didn’t match that of his run, as his shot was straight at Livie.
With time nearly up, Douglas were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position. Laighton Batchelor’s delivery won the hosts a corner.
The Douglas corner was dealt with by Ferry who broke and managed to win a corner of their own. The ball was delivered to the near post where it was met by Meldrum, who headed the ball past Livie, much to the delight of his teammates.
This was a cruel blow for Douglas who contributed so much to a thrilling game of football. On another day, they may have taken something from this game however, there are clearly positives for them to take from this game.
Ferry Athletic, on the other hand will feel that they created enough chances to have the game wrapped up within twenty minutes. Despite this, the character shown to fight back from 3-1 down will undoubtedly please their manager, and gives them a platform on which to build for the rest of the campaign.
  • Full Time:
  • Douglas Lads BC
  • 3-4
  • Ferry Athletic


Douglas Lads BC
Ferry Athletic
1. Aaron Livie
2. Josh Gordon
4. Steven Irvine
5. Luke Miller
6. Laighton Batchelor
7. Dylan Ferguson
8. Cody Logue
10. Matthew McIntosh
11. Daryll Ferguson
12. Taylor Houston
14. Jay Grant
15. Ben Laing
16. Kevin Emerson
1. Aaron Caird
2. Kai Meldrum
3. Matthew Thom
4. Declan Murray
6. Jack Tindal
8. Jay Sorrie
10. Sam Grimes
16. Alexander Russel
19. Adam Lees
20. Daniel McNamee
31. Jack Black
33. Moby Ogunlaja
Star Player
Douglas Lads BC
Ferry Athletic
Aaron Livie - The Douglas goalkeeper was unfortunate to be on the losing side this afternoon. He made a series of excellent saves in the first twenty minutes when Ferry were dominating. Coped well with the tricky conditions.
Kai Meldrum - The Ferry midfielder was a thorn in Douglas's side all day long. Some excellent runs from the midfield and used the ball well. On another day, he may well have had a couple of goals and assists.
Magic Moment
Douglas Lads BC
Ferry Athletic
Logue's Goal - Not the best goal that he will ever score but a goal that gave Douglas the belief that they could win the match. Unfortunately for them, it wasn't to be.
Meldrum's Goal - A derby winner with what was essentially the last kick of the game. Need I say any more?
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments