Home My YFS

Ferry Yellows in seven heaven after Henry Dolan Cup win

Ferry Yellows 7

Anderson 11', 77', 82', McMillan 24', 28', 69', McFarlane 47'

Letham Tangerines 2

Simpson 67', McGlashan 70'
  • Sunday, 15 May 2016
  • North End Park
  • Under 17´s
  • Henry Dolan Cup

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Ferry Yellows gave departing manager Graham Bell the perfect send off, beating Letham Tangerines by seven goals to two, and winning the Henry Dolan Cup in the process. Ferry were ahead within 10 minutes, and had a 3-0 lead at the break. They added a fourth shortly after the restart, a fifth in-between the two Letham goals, and two more in the closing stages of the match.

The opening chance of the game came the way of Ferry after just 90 seconds. Striker Jack McMillan sent his volley just off target. His strike partner Kyle Anderson was next to threaten the Letham goal. His effort pushed over the bar by goalkeeper Michael Patton.

The resulting corner was met by Ferry defender Cameron McFie, but he couldn’t get his effort on target. The warning signs were there for Letham, who were beginning to grow into the match. Despite this, it would be Ferry that would open the scoring.

Kieran Paton's good play on the right wing created space for Ross Nicholson, who crossed the ball into the area. A deflection on the cross took the ball to Anderson at the edge of the area, who volleyed the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Ferry would go close to doubling their lead after 21 minutes. Rory Faulkner hooked the ball across the face of goal, but the Letham defence managed to clear the danger. Letham’s Josh Davidson sent his effort from distance wide of the target.

Ferry should have been further ahead after 23 minutes. Anderson managed to get through one-on-one with Patton, but he could only hit his effort straight at the goalkeeper.

Ferry wouldn’t have to wait much longer for their second goal. Following a foul on Faulkner, Jay Foran’s free kick was headed home by McMillan, and Ferry were now two goals to the good.

Moments later, they had a third and it was McMillan once again. This time the frontman robbed Douglas Thom on the edge of the Letham penalty area, and stroked the ball past Patton.

Letham went close after 29 minutes as Rian Shillan’s free kick needed to be tipped over by Ferry goalkeeper Ross Farmer. However, the half ended with Ferry playing some nice football and in a controlled position. Faulkner, in particular, was proving to be the root cause of much of the Letham defence's problems.

  • Half Time:
  • Ferry Yellows
  • 3-0
  • Letham Tangerines

Ferry started the second half the way they had ended the first. Faulkner collected the ball just inside his own half, before driving to the by-line. His cutback fell to the feet of Robbie McFarlane, who turned and fired the ball into the far corner of the net, giving his side a four goal lead.

McMillan nearly had his hat-trick moments after this. The striker managed to lob the ball over Patton, but Shillan managed to head the ball away from danger.

McMillan should have had nabbed his third after 61 minutes, but he failed to hit the target after being sent in one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

Despite the one-way traffic at the beginning of the half, Letham would be next to score. Shaun Simpson got his head on a corner, and sent the ball past Farmer in the Ferry goal.

Just as quickly as the deficit had been reduced, Ferry managed to restore it. This time, McMillan did complete his hat-trick. Anderson hit a low shot that fell to the feet of McMillan, who controlled the ball and fired it past Patton.

Almost immediately after this, Letham had the ball in the net again. This time Simpson turned provider, heading a long ball in the path of Craig McGlashan, who kept his composure and found the bottom corner of the net.

Letham were starting to come into the game but, after 77 minutes, the game would be all but over. Another free kick from the impressive Foran was met by Anderson, who headed the ball across Patton and into the back of the net.

Ferry would add their seventh goal on 82 minutes. Nicholson, who claimed the assist for the opening goal, would set up the final goal, heading the ball into the path of Anderson, who headed home from close range, completing his hat-trick.

  • Full Time:
  • Ferry Yellows
  • 7-2
  • Letham Tangerines


Ferry Yellows
Letham Tangerines
1. Ross Farmer
1. Calum Langdale
2. Lewis Finnie
3. Logan Irvine
4. Ross Nicholson
5. Connor Bell
6. Harry Dow
7. Rory Faulkner
9. Kyle Ramsay
10. Kieran Paton
11. Jay Foran
12. Kieran McDowall
15. Jack McMillan
16. Cameron McFie
18. Kyle Anderson
19. Arran Petrie
21. Robbie McFarlane
1. Michael Patton
2. Kieran Campbell
3. Jamie Sinclair
4. Douglas Thom
5. Rian Shillan
6. Shaun Simpson
7. Tyler Green
8. Joseph Gillespie
9. Craig McGlashan
10. Josh Davidson
11. Jordan Stevenson
14. Vladimir Ivanov
15. Owen Sime
16. Ross McGowan
17. Josh Swales
23. Shaun Ormsby
Star Player
Ferry Yellows
Letham Tangerines
Rory Faulkner – Won the sponsors Man of the Match and he definitely deserved it. Always looking to run at the Letham defence who didn’t know how to deal with him. The ball seemed to be glued to his feet and on another day, he would have a couple of goals. A joy to watch.
Shaun Simpson – Managed to get a goal and an assist in the cup final, and gave his side a foothold in the game. Put in a good shift and got the rewards for it.
Magic Moment
Ferry Yellows
Letham Tangerines
Anderson’s first goal – A super volley from the Ferry frontman that got his side off to the perfect start. Excellent technique and confidence to hit it first time. A top goal from a top player.
McGlashan’s goal – A good response to Ferry’s fifth goal. Unfortunately for Letham, it turned out to be too little too late, but a good finish nonetheless.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments