Home My YFS

Dundee United SC lift J Cord Cup after dramatic final with Dee Club

Dundee United SC 3

McIntosh 14', Anderson 17', King 19'

Dee Club 3

Mitchell 34', Spry 79', Own Goal 84'
  • Dundee United SC 3-3 Dee Club (Dundee United win 3-1 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 08 May 2016
  • North End Park
  • Under 19´s
  • J Cord Cup

Iain Proudfoot | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Paul Moran’s decisive spot kick in the shootout ensured Dundee United SC U19’s would lift the J Cord Cup at the expense of President’s League rival Dee Club U19’s. Penalties were required to break the deadlock after Dee Club levelled the contest at 3-3 with six minutes remaining. The good weather and what was at stake brought a large crowd to North End Park, while the near perfect playing conditions made a strong argument for anyone in favour of summer football.

The final began in a similar fashion to how it ended with action from the penalty spot. Scott Muir was bundled over in the box and the referee gave Dee Club the chance to take an early lead. Declan Collin stepped up and his effort was brilliantly saved by the outstretched leg of Kieron Craig Coats. 

The 'keeper's block would prove crucial as, four minutes later, his side were ahead. Quick movement between Fraser Anderson and Callum King forced a corner with Moran’s delivery knocked in by Max McIntosh. Buoyed after taking the lead United continued to press and were rewarded in the 17th minute with their second of the afternoon. Another pinpoint delivery from a Moran corner found its way to Fraser Anderson who drilled the ball into the net, with a clever dummy by Nathan Tosh helping it on its way.

At this stage of the contest United were in the ascendancy and scored a third in the 19th. A perfect cross by Moran found Callum King who converted with a sublime diving header. One member of the crowd described the goal as being similar to that of Robin van Persie’s against Spain at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Despite going further behind Dee Club displayed good character and almost reduced the deficit through efforts from Ryan Muir and Scott Muir. With both sides pushing forward it seemed inevitable that another goal would come before half time and it went to Dee Club on 34 minutes, a glancing header by Callum Mitchell following a looping free kick from Conan Howett.

Having conceded for the first time in the afternoon United responded well and almost increased their lead on the stroke of the interval, Liam Roddy heading wide from Moran’ s corner.

  • Half Time:
  • Dundee United SC
  • 3-1
  • Dee Club

Having found a way back into the contest Dee Club started the second period brightly and were unlucky to see an effort from Lewis Mitchell drift over the bar.  As Dee Club committed men forward United almost went further ahead, on the counter, with clever movement by Tosh creating a chance for Moran to shoot wide. The same player was further involved moments later, delivering a free kick into the danger area, which Gareth Mowett headed over.

With the final opening up and chances being created at both end of the park, Dee Club ensured the final 11 minutes would be very interesting by drawing closer to their opponents through Jordan Spry who prodded the ball past Coats following a Kieran Neave corner.

After being behind for the majority of the contest Dee Club drew level on 84 minutes, a long throw by Howett evaded his team mates and finished in the back of the net with the unfortunate Coats having the final touch.

Just before the full time whistle both sides had chances to score a dramatic late winner, Howett almost connecting to a Neave free kick for Dee Club and United saw Mowett head over the bar.

  • Full Time:
  • Dundee United SC
  • 3-3
  • Dee Club
In the penalty shootout Tosh, Anderson and Moran converted for Dundee United SC resulting in a victory of 3-1.

While it is fair to say that Cup Finals are usually tight affairs with very few chances, it was very refreshing that the 2015/16 final of the J Cord Cup was anything but. Both sides produced inventive free flowing football and the large crowd were rewarded with six goals in a thoroughly entertaining 90 minutes.

Dee Club can take great heart for the way they recovered from being 3-0 down and any appearance in a final should be viewed as a great success.

For the victors Dundee United SC an impressive season has been further enhanced by the capture of the J Cord Cup.

Final Result: Dundee United SC 3-3 Dee Club (Dundee United win 3-1 on penalties)


Dundee United SC
Dee Club
23. Kieron Craig Coats
2. Ben Reid
3. Fraser Anderson
4. Max McIntosh
5. Liam Roddy
6. Aaron Smith
7. Nathan Tosh
9. Callum Walls
10. Lewis Fyfe
11. Callum King
12. Brandon Howes
14. Paul Moran
15. Bryan Docherty
16. David Grant
18. Gareth Mowett
1. Liam Dunn
2. Alistaer Nichiolson
3. Mark Hanlon
4. Jordan Spry
5. Scott Muir
6. Tony Myres
7. Ryan Muir
8. Jordan Winters
9. Lewis Mitchell
10. Conan Howett
11. Callum Mitchell
16. Sean Colvin
18. Kieran Neave
19. Declan Collins
21. Callum Crighton
Star Player
Dundee United SC
Dee Club
Paul Moran - scored the winning spot kick and set up each of United's goals.
Callum Mitchell - an attacking threat throughout and scored with an impressive glancing header.
Magic Moment
Dundee United SC
Dee Club
Callum King's diving header for his sides third goal- described as similar to that of Robin van Persie in the World Cup.
Jordan Spry knocking the ball into the net to set up a grandstand finish, eventually leading to his side's equaliser.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments