Home My YFS

Fairmuir secure Dundee West Anniversary Cup following shootout against Dryburgh

Dryburgh Athletic 2

Heary 2', 70'

Fairmuir BC 2

Smith 21', Grady 69'
  • Dryburgh Athletic 2-2 Fairmuir BC (Fairmuir win 5-3 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 08 May 2016
  • North End Park
  • Under 14´s
  • Dundee West Anniversary Cup - Final

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Fairmuir met Dryburgh for the third time this season, this time in the Dundee West Anniversary Cup final. Top of the league Dryburgh had come out on top in the two previous meetings, and took the lead early on in the match with Fairmuir going on to level the game mid-way through the first half. Both sides found the net in the in the last minute of the game, resulting in a penalty shootout, that Fairmuir would go on to win.

The first chance of the game came the way of Fairmuir after just 28 seconds. Josh Hamilton found Jake Grady who was denied by Dryburgh goalkeeper Aaron Cosgrove. The forward was unable to keep the rebound on target.

After two minutes, it was Dryburgh that took the lead. Aidan Nelson’s pass looked to have been dealt with by Fairmuir goalkeeper Cameron Hendry, but the ball somehow evaded the goalkeeper, gifting Sol Heary the opening goal of the match.

It was Healy causing the Fairmuir backline problems again, this time the forward got on the end of a loose ball in the penalty area, but Hendry managed to block his effort. Ewan Stewart couldn’t hit the target with his follow up effort.

Ryan Smith went close for Fairmuir after 12 minutes. Mark McCrory brought the ball out of defence and managed to win a free kick 35 yards from goal. Smith sent his effort just over the crossbar, with some of the spectators thinking the ball had found the back of the net.

With 21 minutes played, Dryburgh won a corner. The cross was cleared by Seff Mohammed, who managed to get the ball to Smith. The striker, who was in his own half of the pitch, turned and drove into the Dryburgh half, making it all the way to the penalty area, before slotting the ball under Cosgrove in the Dryburgh goal and bringing Fairmuir level.

This goal gave Fairmuir a lift, with McCrory getting on the end of a Smith free kick, but he couldn’t generate enough power on his header to trouble Cosgrove. Mohammed also had an effort on goal, but couldn’t beat Cosgrove.

  • Half Time:
  • Dryburgh Athletic
  • 1-1
  • Fairmuir BC

Dryburgh started the second half well. Marcus Gray won a corner off Fairmuir defender Evan Adam. Both sides were matching one another as the second half went on.

Josh Hamilton came closest for Fairmuir, managing to get on the end of a long free kick from McCrory, but he was unable to trouble Cosgrove with his effort. Moments later, Dryburgh would almost break the deadlock. Following a free kick of their own, the ball fell to Arron Flynn, who smashed his effort off the post.

Both sides were looking dangerous from free kicks. Grady managed to hook the ball back across the face of goal, but Cosgrove dealt with it. Cosgrove was called into action again after 55 minutes, this time tipping over a dipping free kick from Smith.

Both sides looked dangerous going forward, but neither was able to fashion a clear cut opportunity from open play. With just seven minutes remaining, Keir Murray sent a low shot just wide of goal for Fairmuir.

As the game neared its end, the dreaded penalty shootout loomed large. Dryburgh won a free kick 25 yards from goal with just three minutes remaining, Flynn stepped up to take it but he could only send his effort into the wall.

With just 60 seconds left, Mohammed managed to put Grady through on goal. The striker managed to keep his composure and slotted the ball past Cosgrove and put Fairmuir into the lead.

With time against them, it was “do or die” for Dryburgh. The kick off was sent back to Nelson, who sent the ball into the Fairmuir box. The ball found its way to Heary, who scored in the opening two minutes, and he managed to knock the ball past Hendry to level the tie, meaning penalties would be needed to decide the winner. 

  • Full Time:
  • Dryburgh Athletic
  • 2-2
  • Fairmuir BC
Keir Hendry was up first for Fairmuir in the shootout. The midfielder sent his penalty low into the bottom left corner of the net, giving Fairmuir the lead. Dylan Smeaton was first for Dryburgh, but his penalty was tipped away by Hendry, making amends for his error at the opening Dryburgh goal.

Ryan Smith was next up, and the Fairmuir striker tucked his penalty into the bottom left corner. Sol Heary stepped up for Dryburgh and beat Hendry low to the goalkeeper's right. Fairmuir captain McCrory stepped and blasted his penalty into the top right hand corner, giving his side a 3-1 lead in the shootout.

It was the turn of the Dryburgh skipper Nelson, and he dispatched his penalty, in the bottom right corner of the net. Seff Mohammed was next up for Fairmuir, and he re-established his sides two goal lead, tucking the ball into the bottom right corner. Ewan Stewart stepped up for Dryburgh, knowing he had to score to keep his side in it, and that’s what he did, drilling the ball straight down the middle.

With Fairmuir leading 4-3, the decisive penalty was taken by Jake Grady, who must have thought he’d won the match in normal time, when he found the net. The striker stepped up and sent his penalty high into the top left corner, consigning Dryburgh to just a third defeat of the season, and winning the cup for Fairmuir. Grady and his team-mates went wild - it was their day. However, spare a thought for Dryburgh, who deserve a huge amount of credit for their display.

Final Result: Dryburgh Athletic 2-2 Fairmuir BC (Fairmuir win 5-3 on penalties)


Dryburgh Athletic
Fairmuir BC
1. Arron Cosgrove
2. Dylan Smeaton
3. Arron Flynn
4. Aidan Nelson
5. Cory Finnigan
6. Keillor Lowe
8. Kalin Jones
9. Cameron Grant
10. Ben Wilson
11. Sol Heary
12. Ryan McKay
13. Jamie Gelly
14. Darryl Tosh
15. Marcus Gray
16. Ewan Stewart
1. Cameron Hendry
2. Evan Adam
3. Mark McCory
5. Ben Tolmie
6. Seff Mohammed
7. Jay Kidd
8. Keir Murray
9. Jake Grady
12. Ryan Smith
15. Kevin Taylor
16. Brian Harris
17. Ethan Samson
18. Josh Hamilton
Star Player
Dryburgh Athletic
Fairmuir BC
Aidan Nelson – The Dryburgh captain set the tempo early in the game. Picked up two assists and broke up play well. Unfortunate to be on the losing side.
Mark McCrory – The Fairmuir Captain was solid at the back throughout the whole match. Won plenty of tackles and headers and put a lot of good free kicks into the Dryburgh box.
Magic Moment
Dryburgh Athletic
Fairmuir BC
Heary’s second goal – An equaliser right at the death in the cup final, doesn’t get more magic than that. Showed great character from Dryburgh and it’s easy to see why they had only lost two games before today.
Smith’s goal – A super individual goal. A powerful run and a composed finish. The goal gave Fairmuir belief that they could go on and win the cup.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments