Home My YFS

Fife Southern triumph after Summer Cup shootout

Fife Southern 0

Kennoway United 0

  • Fife Southern win 7-6 on penalties
  • Sunday, 24 April 2016
  • Denfield Park
  • Under 19´s
  • Summer Cup Final

Matthew Sigsworth | YFS Fife Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Goalkeeper Chris Hampson was the hero for Fife Southern in the Summer Cup Final on Sunday, first keeping out Gary Kinsella’s effort before stepping up to score the winning penalty following a goalless 90 minutes at Denfield Park.

The game itself was a tense affair, with neither side able to control possession for any great length of time; but there were still plenty of chances for both sides to win the game before the final whistle.

With the energy of their two frontmen, Cameron Nicolson and Craig Lumsden, Kennoway always looked capable of creating something, but couldn’t seem to find their rhythm as chances came and went. The two combined to good effect early on, as Nicolson was released on the right to deliver a dangerous looking cross that was well defended by Fife Southern.

Nicolson then looked to latch onto a ball played over the Fife Southern defence, but Hampson was quick off his line to remove the danger. Daniel Hall then had a great chance for Fife Southern, but he slipped as he made contact and the shot was an easy save for Grant Henderson.

Nicolson was finding all sorts of space in between the Fife Southern defence, and he was able to get a shot away when played clear through on goal, but his effort was blocked as the game remained goalless.

It was a better passage of play from Kennoway though, and there was another chance soon after as the ball fell to Aaron Crookston inside the area, but he could only slice his volley wide.

Fife Southern looked dangerous on the counter attack and a quick break from their own penalty area ended with a cross to Sean Thomson at the back post, but his header was saved and held by Henderson.

Robbie Wilson went close with a free kick from all of 25 yards out, before playing Lumsden in on the right hand side of the area with a deft pass, but the ball got stuck under his feet before he could get a shot away and the chance was gone.

Kenzie O’Neil then released Sean Thomson as Fife Southern looked to take the advantage, but following another save from Henderson Matthew Byiers was unable to find the target as the game’s best chance came and went.

Kennoway had created a host of good chances themselves, but were unable to find their cutting edge. Nicolson headed over from a Liam Mann cross, before Kinsella took advantage of a sleeping Fife Southern defence to whip in another dangerous looking ball, which found Nicolson unmarked at the back post but, again, the forward was unable to convert.

The best chance of the half came right at the death and, once more, it fell to Nicolson. Following great work on the left from Lumsden to hook the ball across the face of goal, Nicolson was able to nod the ball goalwards but Hampson was able to scurry across his goal and claw the ball away to keep the scores locked at the interval.

  • Half Time:
  • Fife Southern
  • 0-0
  • Kennoway United

The second half finished just as the first had started, with Lumsden racing clear through on goal in the opening few minutes; however, despite getting to the ball first, he could only send his shot wide of the post.

Stewart Hamilton then headed wide from a corner for Fife Southern, before Lumsden spurned the best chance yet for Kennoway as he arrived late at the far post to meet Michael Roberts hooked ball into the box, but could only guide his effort into the side netting.

Chances were coming thick and fast for both sides now, with Hall next to try his luck for Fife Southern, aiming to curl one into the far corner; but Henderson was equal to it.

As the game edged into the final 20 minutes, and the tempo slowly crept up, both sides continued to waste good opportunities to take an elusive lead.

Hall whipped a decent looking ball into the Kennoway area, looking for the head of Thomson, but Henderson was out in a flash to collect the ball.

Nicolson’s control then let him down moments later, as he again found space in the Fife Southern area, but he couldn’t bring the ball under his spell and Hampson was out to clear the danger.

Henderson then showed great bravery to dive at the feet of Jake McKenzie after he combined well with Thomson inside the Kennoway area; and moments later it was Hampson who showed his goalkeeping skills, making a terrific save to again deny Nicolson after his towering header looked destined for the top corner.

McKenzie was then denied by a superb last minute tackle by Harris Young, and as the game entered the final ten minutes Kennoway set about laying siege to the Fife Southern goal in search of a winner.

First, Lumsden charged down a Hampson clearance which bounced just the wrong side of the post for the forward, before Mann released Lumsden again through the middle only for the attacker to be denied by a terrific last ditch tackle.

Mann then headed just wide from a Kinsella cross, and there was just enough time for Fife Southern to almost snatch it at the death when Thomson dragged a shot agonisingly wide of the post. Henderson then did brilliantly to rush off his line and clear the danger when Thomson was again through on goal.

Despite the best efforts of both sides the game finished level, with the lottery of penalties now left to decide the match.

  • Full Time:
  • Fife Southern
  • 0-0
  • Kennoway United
It was Fife Southern who emerged victorious in a dramatic penalty shootout.

After early misses for both sides; Stuart Fowler, Michael Roberts, Cameron Nicolson, David Cunningham, Craig Lumsden and Harris Young all scored for Kennoway; with Sean Thomson, Jake McKenzie, Glenn Coutts, Matthew Byiers, Cieran Smart and Cameron Gray all converting for Fife Southern to leave the shootout level at 6-6.

Cue Chris Hampson, who saved from Gary Kinsella before stepping up to the plate to win the shootout, and bring home the cup in fairy tale fashion!

Final Result: Fife Southern win 7-6 on penalties


Fife Southern
Kennoway United
1. Chris Hampson
2. Ryan Dunn
3. Matthew Byiers
5. Daniel Johnston
7. Sean Thomson
8. Cameron Gray
9. Jordan McKibben
10. Jake McKenzie
11. Stewart Hamilton
12. Daniel Hall
14. Macartan McKean
15. Kenzie O’Neil
16. Glenn Coutts
17. Jordan Brown
18. Cieran Smart
1. Grant Henderson
2. Harris Young
3. James Dick
4. Liam Mann
5. David Balfour
6. Gary Kinsella
7. Aaron Crookston
8. Robbie Wilson
9. Blair Band
10. Cameron Nicolson
11. Craig Lumsden
12. Stuart Fowler
14. Michael Roberts
15. David Cunningham
16. Connor Brown
18. Jordan Barclay
Star Player
Fife Southern
Kennoway United
Chris Hampson - Made some important saves during the match, and then really delivered when it mattered with his penalty double salvo!
Grant Henderson - In the majority of nil nil's goalkeepers play a starring role, and this one was no different. Henderson pulled off some amazing saves in the 90 minutes to keep his side in with a shout in the shootout.
Magic Moment
Fife Southern
Kennoway United
The penalty that brought home the cup. Simple as that!
A dramatic last minute save from goalkeeper Grant Henderson, who showed great decision making and bravery to send the match to penalties.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments