Home My YFS

Dundee Villa come from 2-0 down to triumph in G Kerr Cup on penalties

Dee Club 2

R. Muir 6', S. Muir 24'

Dundee Villa 2

Benvie 66', White 90'
  • Dundee Villa win 5-4 on penalties
  • Sunday, 24 April 2016
  • North End Park
  • Under 19´s
  • Maryfield G Kerr Cup

Alasdair Hooper | YFS Dundee Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Dundee Villa completed an impressive comeback against Dee Club, at Dundee’s North End Park, to win the Maryfield G Kerr Cup final. Dee Club had gone into the half time break, in a commanding position, after goals from Ryan Muir and Scott Muir had given them a 2-0 lead. In the second half Dundee Villa pulled a goal back, through Aidan Benvie, before Ryan White fired in a dramatic equaliser right at the death. It was then on to the dreaded shootout and Villa held their nerve to seal the cup win after prevailing 5-4.
The attacking intent was clear right from the start with both teams looking to gain the early initiative. However, it was Dee Club that took the lead with their first clear-cut opportunity in the sixth minute. Ryan Muir was able to stab the ball home after latching on to a flick on, from a throw in, at the back post.
Seven minutes later Dundee Villa were presented with a great opportunity to equalize. Owen McCabe picked up the ball at the edge of the box but was only able to slice his effort wide of the mark.
In the 24th minute Dee Club extended their lead to two. Conan Howett delivered an excellent ball into the box, from a free kick, which was fumbled by the Villa ‘keeper. Scott Muir was alert, pounced on the loose ball and converted to put his side in firm control of the cup final.  
Howett came close to extending the lead to 3-0, soon afterwards, but his attempt was sent just wide of the target.
Lee Maloney very nearly pulled a goal back in exquisite style for Dundee Villa after executing a mazy solo run through the midfield. He then looked to curl his effort but couldn’t get enough on it and the ball sailed comfortably into the hands of Liam Dunn.
  • Half Time:
  • Dee Club
  • 2-0
  • Dundee Villa
Dundee Villa emerged for the second half with renewed impetus. Del Ross fired an early header wide of the goal before Pat Martin successfully beat the offside trap but he, also, couldn’t find the target.
However, as the game ticked into its 66th minute Dundee Villa pulled a goal back. Following some neat interplay Ryan White fired in a low cross, from the right flank, which was cleared by the Dee Club defense. However, the clearance only fell to the feet of Benvie inside the penalty box. The number 17 successfully fired into the net with a first time finish. Game on.
Three minutes later Benvie came close to getting his second. He expertly broke through the defensive line but Dunn came out on top in the one-on-one, saving well to maintain his side's lead.
Dunn was soon called upon again as he made a superb double save. It was starting to get nervy for Dee Club.
Declan Collins came close to reinstating Dee Club’s two goal advantage, in the 72nd minute, as he was played through on goal. Unfortunately for him his shot was smashed over the bar.
With Pat Martin and Benvie coming close to grabbing an equaliser, for Villa, time seemed to be against them. However, with the game starting to tick into injury time White popped up with the goods in dramatic fashion. Martin was the supplier as he delivered a cross from the right, which White duly dispatched from close range. This game now needed penalties to decide on a winner.
  • Full Time:
  • Dee Club
  • 2-2
  • Dundee Villa
Martin was the first to step up to the spot for Dundee Villa and expertly dispatched his penalty into the bottom right. Sean Colvin replied for Dee Club in a similar fashion to make it 1-1 in the shootout.

It was then the turn of Lee Maloney, for Dundee Villa, but he struck his penalty against the post to hand the advantage to Dee Club. Lloyd Spowart then scored to take full advantage of the Villa miss.

Benvie then dispatched the next Dundee Villa penalty in fine style before Jordan Winters followed suit for Dee Club. At the end of the third round of kicks it was 3-2 in Dee Club’s favour.

McCabe was the next to step up for Dundee Villa. He held his nerve and expertly dispatched his penalty kick to make it 3-3.

Replying for Dee Club was Declan Collins who placed his penalty down low to maintain their penalty lead.

Dylan Cook then stepped up for Dundee Villa and, despite the pressure, comfortably converted his penalty to place all the pressure on the shoulders of Ryan Muir.

With the score at 4-4 the Dee Club number seven knew that a successful spot kick would seal the win. Villa goalkeeper, Robert Telford, had other ideas as he dived to his left to keep out the shot.

Del Ross was the first to take a penalty in sudden death. He superbly stuck away his penalty to make it 5-4 to Dundee Villa.

Tony Myers then stepped up for Dee Club but, unfortunately for him, fired his effort wide of the target. The miss confirmed Dundee Villa as the cup winners and completed a phenomenal turnaround for the team.

Final Result: Dundee Villa win 5-4 on penalties


Dee Club
Dundee Villa
1. Liam Dunn
2. Alistaer Nichiolson
3. Mark Hanlon
4. Jordan Spry
5. Scott Muir
6. Tony Myers
7. Ryan Muir
8. Jordan Winters
9. Lewis Mitchell
10. Conan Howett
11. Callum Mitchell
16. Sean Colvin
18. Kieran Neave
19. Declan Collins
20. Lloyd Spowart
21. Callum Crighton
1. Robert Telford
1. Caelan Flynn
2. Stevie Clark
3. Pat Martin
5. Daniel Thomson
6. Dylan Cook
7. Del Ross
8. Ryan Burry
9. Owen McCabe
10. Martyn Gellatly
11. Connor Airlie
12. Liam Harper
14. Lee Maloney
15. Lee Anderson
16. Ryan White
17. Aidan Benvie
Star Player
Dee Club
Dundee Villa
Conan Howett – Superb in midfield. Worked hard and played some excellent passes throughout the game.
Owen McCabe – A real pest (meant in the nicest possible way). Relentless running and closing down, which meant the Dee Club defence never got a moments peace.
Magic Moment
Dee Club
Dundee Villa
Liam Dunn’s double save – After the ‘keeper pulled that out of the bag you just thought it had to be Dee Club’s trophy.
White’s goal – A last minute equaliser to force a shootout is hard to beat in terms of magic moments. Made even more magical by the fact they went on to win.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments