Home My YFS

Montrose clinch Brown Cup in dramatic shootout finale

Riverside CSC 1

Flynn 33'

Montrose YFC 1

Stott 70+1'
  • Montrose win 4-2 on penalties
  • Sunday, 27 March 2016
  • North End Park
  • Under 13´s
  • Brown Cup

Alasdair Hooper | YFS Dundee Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

This Easter Sunday North End Park was treated to one very egg-citing final as Montrose won the Brown Cup following an incredible end to the game against Riverside. Riverside looked threatening in the first half and took the lead through Adam Flynn two minutes before the half time break. Both teams tussled superbly in the second period and it looked as though that one goal might be enough.
However, Montrose had other ideas as Ben Stott thumped home an equaliser in the first minute of stoppage time. A penalty shootout was needed to decide which team would be taking the cup home and Montrose kept their composure to triumph 4-2. This was one truly eggs-hilarating final (no more Easter puns from now on I swear).
The boys in blue began the game well as they looked to take an early advantage. Steven Reilly had an early chance to put Riverside 1-0 up but he stabbed the ball just wide of the mark following a nicely worked short corner routine.
Riverside continued to look good on the offense, with Jack Kingston and Roan Mearns looking particularly dangerous. However, the killer pass to open up a clear-cut opportunity continued to evade them for much of the opening period.
In the 27th minute they did manage to generate a superb opportunity to open the scoring as Kingston was fed through on goal down the right. He looked to shoot across goal, and bury the ball into the bottom left hand corner, but his shot flashed across the face of goal and wide of his intended target.
Six minutes later, however, Riverside made the breakthrough. Darren Lamb was slotted through, beyond the defence, excellently and, with just the goalkeeper to beat, he slid the ball past the oncoming netminder and towards goal. The power on the effort was minimal, however, and there was now a footrace on, between Flynn and the Montrose defence, over who would get to the trickling ball first. Flynn was the man to win the race and he prodded the ball home at the far post to give his side a one-goal lead.
After this initial setback Montrose almost executed the perfect response. Shortly before the half time whistle went Cameron Kerr fired a header just over the bar from a Calum Taylor cross.
  • Half Time:
  • Riverside CSC
  • 1-0
  • Montrose YFC
Riverside could so very nearly have built upon their lead at the start of the second half. Kingston delightfully played through Reilly but the number 17’s attempted shot was blocked superbly by Montrose’s Taylor Hampton.
Montrose began to wrestle their way back into the game and it soon became a closely fought affair. At the heart of the fight back was the Montrose defence, who putt in a tenacious and whole-hearted performance that gave the team a solid base to work from.
Midway through the half that back four was breached by the Riverside attack. Kingston unleashed a fearsome strike at goal but Stuart Braes, in goal for Montrose, pulled off a great save and parried the ball away from goal. Euan Blane picked up the rebound but put his attempted shot wide of the target.
Soon after Montrose came close to grabbing themselves an equalizing goal. Murray McDonald broke through the Riverside defence and bore down on goal. Riverside ‘keeper, Aidan Marshall, was superb, however, has he closed down the attacker and knocked the ball away from his feet.
Moments after, however, Montrose were nearly punished as Riverside hit them on the break. Kingston managed to play in Reilly who fired a shot at goal. Braes was on hand once again to make the save and hold it.
With just two minutes of normal time to go Montrose were granted another opportunity to level the scores. The ball fell to the feet of McDonald, following a free kick that ricocheted off of the Riverside wall, and the number 18 set himself to take a shot. Marshall displayed some fine goalkeeping, once again, as he raced out to close the player down.  
With the game now about to enter stoppage time Riverside very nearly killed the game off as Flynn embarked upon an excellent run and fired a shot at goal. Braes made no mistake between the sticks and made the save to give his side hope.
One minute into stoppage time and Stott was presented with a glorious chance as he was put through on goal. Marshall, however, superbly parried his shot behind for a corner. It looked like the ‘keeper might just have secured the win.
However, from the resulting corner, Stott volleyed the ball home into the bottom right hand corner to send the Montrose camp into delirium. With virtually the last kick of regulation they had grabbed themselves an equaliser and forced a penalty shootout. 
  • Full Time:
  • Riverside CSC
  • 1-1
  • Montrose YFC
Flynn, the man to open the scoring was the first to take a penalty kick for Riverside. The number three wasted no time as he clinically fired past Braes to give his team a 1-0 advantage in the shootout. Taylor then stepped up to take Montrose’s first penalty kick. Once again the finish was exemplary as he rifled the ball into the top left of the net. Next up was Kingston who had been influential all game. In a similar fashion he slotted the ball neatly into the bottom right hand corner. It was now McDonald’s turn to take a spot kick for Montrose. He too fired the ball low and hard to bring the penalty shootout score level at 2-2. Marcus Van Der Esch then stepped up for Riverside. Unfortunately for the number 18 his strike was sent straight down the middle and into the arms of Braes. It was now advantage Montrose. Cameron Kerr, who had been excellent in defence, was Montrose’s third penalty taker. He took full advantage of the Riverside miss has he slotted the ball into the bottom corner to give his team a 3-2 lead. Campbell James was the next to step up to the mark Riverside. However, in an effort to find the top corner he sent his penalty over the crossbar. If Montrose scored the next penalty they would be champions. The man who had to deal with the pressure was Blair McKiddie. He kept his composure excellently as he belted the ball into the back of the net to make it 4-2 and confirm Montrose as Brown Cup winners in the most dramatic of circumstances. It just goes to show that, so long as there is time remaining, you should never give up hope.

Final Result: Montrose win 4-2 on penalties


Riverside CSC
Montrose YFC
1. Aidan Marshall
3. Adam Flynn
4. Callum Joiner
5. Peter Cringle
6. Roan Mearns
7. Andrew Olver
8. Cole Anderson
9. Jamie Hoskins
10. Robbie Sommerville
11. Jack Kingston
15. Blair Kettles
16. Campbell James
17. Steven Reilly
18. Marcus Van Der Esch
20. Darren Lamb
21. Euan Blane
1. Christopher O’Donnell
2. Christie Low
3. Filip Orchowski
5. Cameron Scott
7. Blair McKiddie
8. Ben Stott
9. Calum Miller
11. Calum Taylor
12. Taylor Hampton
14. Jack Moir
15. Ethan Livie
16. Calum Walker
17. Cameron Kerr
18. Murray McDonald
19. Aulay McIntosh
20. Stuart Braes
Star Player
Riverside CSC
Montrose YFC
Jack Kingston – Involved in the lion’s share of Riverside’s attacking play and worked very well in tandem with Roan Mearns. Combined they were a constant threat for Montrose.
Cameron Kerr – the defensive effort, particularly in the second half, was a fundamental reason why Montrose were able to come back from the brink and win. Kerr was simply outstanding at centre back, making interceptions, tackles and clearances when they were most needed.
Magic Moment
Riverside CSC
Montrose YFC
Flynn’s goal – nicely worked build up play to put Lamb through on goal but Flynn showcases why it is always important to support your teammate even when you think the job might be done.
Stott’s goal – an equaliser with virtually the last kick off the game. Does it get more magic than that? Especially considering they went on to win the shootout.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments