Home My YFS

Edina Hibs brush aside Mill United to progress to final

Mill United Football Club 0

Edina Hibs 3

Dean Burgess, Steven King, Lewis Sives
  • Sunday, 20 March 2016
  • Venue name here
  • Under 15´s
  • Scottish Youth FA Cup

Fraser McLuggage | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

The Scottish Youth FA Cup semi final saw Mill United drawn against Edina Hibs at a sunny K park in East Kilbride. Edina Hibs were dominant throughout the match and showed no signs of conceding a goal. Mill United tried to keep their defence tight, but after the third goal went in, it was inevitable that Edina would eventually progress into the final.

Edina had an early chance when Aidan Mackenzie broke into the box and got a shot away but the Goalkeeper got a firm hand to the ball. 

Edina won a corner, giving them a good chance to get the ball into the box. The ball was whipped in and fell to Alassan Jones at the back post but he couldn't keep his header down and it rose over the bar and out for a goal kick to Mill United.

Edina enjoying most of possession as Alassan Jones received the ball with his back to goal just outside the six yard box, there were no passes on so a bit of improvisation was required, Jones got away a powerful back heel away but the goalkeeper made a good reaction save.

The first goal came from a penalty kick. Liam Edmonston was dragged down just inside the box and the referee pointed to the spot. It was Dean Burgess who stepped up and smashed the ball straight down the middle as the keeper went left. 

Alassan Jones was on the ball wide right, he dropped the shoulder and cut inside, leaving his man behind and with the left foot he cannoned a shot off the post.

Allassan Jones was once again frustrated by the woodwork yet again as just moments after he hit the post, Jones had an almost identical opportunity to get a shot away, he cut inside again on to his left foot and let fly another thunderous effort that struck the crossbar. 

The second goal would have frustrated the Mill United goalkeeper, as a free kick from the half way line was struck by the captain Steven King into the box, an awkward bounce made it hard for the goalkeeper to judge and it went over his head and into the top corner, giving Edina Hibs the two goal lead.

The perfect end to a dominant first half for Edina as Fraser Blackie crossed the ball into the box for Lewis Sives to chest down and drill the shot far post to kill the game off.

The referee blew his whistle for half time. Mill United failed to get into the game quick enough and Edina Hibs were too good on the ball and took their chances, giving them a 3-0 convincing lead at the break.

  • Half Time:
  • Mill United Football Club
  • 0-3
  • Edina Hibs

The second half was a much quieter encounter as Edina tried to see the game out. Edina Hibs knocked the ball about the pitch for fun for the majority of the second half with one or two chances created from Mill United.

Mill United’s first real shot of the game came from Aaron Minto, he was up for a free kick that was whipped into the box and the ball dropped for him but the shot was just wide of the post.

The Mill United goalkeeper, dealt with a ball that was played over the defence by kneeing the ball over the head of the Edina striker then heading the ball up the park. 

Russell Bowers dribbled in and out of the Mill United midfield and defenders but Aaron Minto risked a red card when he slid in and won the ball inside the area.

It was Minto again who saved Mill United again as Theodore McGuire was twisting and turning into the box but 4 got the tackle in before he could pull the trigger.

Steven King floated the ball over the top in search of Liam Edmonston, who was clean through but Minto was there yet again to get his body in between the striker and the ball and stayed strong before playing the ball back to his goalkeeper. 

The final whistle went, sending Edina Hibs through to the final where they will face Hutchinson Vale in the final. Mill United will be disappointed to have come so close to the final, however they can be proud of getting to the semi final.

  • Full Time:
  • Mill United Football Club
  • 0-3
  • Edina Hibs


Mill United Football Club
Edina Hibs
15. Callum Herd (GK)
3. Ross Smith
4. Aaron Minto
5. Jamie Pattieson
6. Callum Stewart
7. Ethan Kerr
8. Rhys Conner
10. Brian Hendry
11. Fraser Arthur
12. Sean Finnigan
14. Cameron Baird
13. Ewan Carmichael
1. Thomas McLean
2. Dean Coyle
3. Nicholas Aitchison
4. Lewis Sives
5. Jordan Keenan
6. Dean Burgess
7. Alassan Jones
8. Aidan Mackenzie
9. Liam Edmonston
10. Tadh Flanagan-Woodhead
11. Russell Bowers
12. Theodore McGuire
14. Ross Jamieson
17. Steven King
18. Fraser Blackie
Star Player
Mill United Football Club
Edina Hibs
Aaron Minto. A terrific second half performance kept the score at 3-0. He had many tackles to break down Edina attacks, he also had a few key interceptions in the defensive third and a very decisive last ditch slide tackle that he had to time to perfection or he would have been sent off.
Steven King. He was very confident at the back, he was strong on the ball and dealt with any threat that Mill United mounted. His distribution was terrific as he threaded balls through to his strikers or played the ball out wide for his wingers to run on to.
Magic Moment
Mill United Football Club
Edina Hibs
Russell Bowers was dribbling through the Mill United defence, it seemed like all he had to do was get a shot away to score, however Aaron Minto slid in and risked a red card but he won the ball cleanly and stopped Edina from scoring a fourth goal.
Alassan Jones received the ball on the right wing, he dropped the shoulder and cut inside before striking a shot off the post. It was a lovely piece of skill followed by a powerful shot that was unlucky not to find the back of the net.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments