Home My YFS

Cup Final on the horizon for Fairmuir after victory over Montrose

Fairmuir 3

Smith 5', Grady 13', Samson 16'

Montrose 1

Henderson 59'
  • Sunday, 06 March 2016
  • Graham Street
  • Under 14´s
  • Dundee West Anniversary Cup

Alasdair Hooper | YFS Dundee Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Fairmuir progressed to the Dundee West Anniversary Cup final after edging out Montrose in Sunday’s semi. Fairmuir’s clinical early finishing proved to be the difference in a very well matched cup-tie. The away side had dominated possession of the ball for much of the early stages but Fairmuir took the lead five minutes in with their first effort on goal. Ryan Smith was the man to score the crucial opener and lifted his side in the process. A quick fire double soon followed as Jake Grady notched Fairmuir’s second, in the 13th, and, just three minutes later, Ethan Samson headed home to give the boys in blue a healthy three goal lead. 
Montrose continued to enjoy the greater share of possession but had to wait until the 59th minute before they found the net themselves. Kai Henderson’s strike gave them hope of a comeback and they put everything into trying to get the required goals afterwards. However, despite their monumental efforts, Fairmuir managed to hold on for the win thanks to some great defending and game management.
Montrose dominated the early stages of the game as they looked to find an early goal. Henderson was looking particularly threatening and had the Fairmuir defence on red alert right from the get go. The Montrose forward was granted an early shot at goal, via a free kick, which had to be tipped over by Fairmuir’s ‘keeper Cameron Hendry.
Despite most of the play being concentrated in the Fairmuir half, the home team’s first venture towards the Montrose goal proved to be highly profitable. Brian Harris picked up the ball in midfield before laying on a superb through ball down the right flank for Grady to run onto. The Fairmuir number 9 then pinged the ball into the feet of Smith who was arriving at the edge of the box. With an exquisite first time shot Smith guided the ball into the bottom left hand corner to complete an excellent piece of counter attacking play.
Montrose continued to play has they had been before, despite this early setback. Callum Bisset came close to leveling the score, but his shot was well handled by Hendry, and Henderson almost fired in an equaliser but his low shot went wide of the mark.
With the game ticking into its 13th minute Fairmuir grabbed their second goal. Smith turned from goal scorer to provider has he played Grady in on goal. The diminutive attacker’s shot snuck in at the near post and suddenly Fairmuir looked to be heading into a commanding position.
Sure enough the home side increased the pressure as they looked for a crucial third. Ross Duncan, in goal for Montrose, pulled off an excellent save to deny Smith a second goal but just a minute later, Fairmuir did get a third via a corner kick. Ethan Samson was on hand to meet the delivery and head home from close range.
Much to their credit Montrose kept plugging away and Henderson continued to be a menace for the Fairmuir defence. Shortly after conceding the third the number 14 went on a glorious solo run right through the middle of the pitch. His effort at goal however flew well over the target.
Montrose continued to enjoy more of the ball than Fairmuir but they were prevented from opening up more clear-cut chances thanks to the defensive efforts on show. This was typified by Seff Mohammed, who proved to be a hugely effective shield in front of the back four. His contribution was vital as he continually made interceptions, broke up the play and ran around to be a persistent and energetic obstacle for the attackers to overcome. 
As a result Montrose were unable to reduce the deficit before the half time break arrived. They knew it would take substantial effort in the second half to claw their way back in. 
  • Half Time:
  • Fairmuir
  • 3-0
  • Montrose
In the early stages of the second half you could tell that the message had gotten across to the Montrose players. Every one of them seemed to have renewed dynamism and they were desperately unlucky not to get a goal back in the second period’s initial stages. Henderson unleashed a fearsome shot that crashed against the crossbar five minutes in and, soon after, Fraser Jamieson had a pop at goal that was tipped onto the bar by the outstretched hand of Hendry. Kieron Walker raced in to hit the rebound but, in another display of his excellent goalkeeping credentials, Hendry successfully turned away his effort as well.
Montrose persistently tried and tried again to create a golden opportunity but Fairmuir remained stubborn and held strong. It wasn’t until the 59th minute that Montrose made the breakthrough. They were awarded a free kick out on the right flank and Henderson fired a low hard strike that flew straight into the bottom right hand corner. With 11 minutes of regular time to go Montrose had renewed hope.
In the 63rd minute a second goal for Montrose was nearly on the cards. The ball dropped nicely for Jamieson just outside the box but his shot flew wide of the target much to his annoyance.  
Soon after Henderson was granted another opportunity from a free kick, this time out on the left wing. He delivered a pacy inswinger that looked, for a moment, like it could have been heading into the far corner. Unfortunately for the team in yellow it flashed just wide and out.
Despite their efforts Montrose couldn’t find any extra goals and they eventually ran out of time. Fairmuir’s three-goal lead amassed early on proved to be enough for them and their clinical nature could serve them well when it comes to the final. While Montrose will clearly be disappointed they still have plenty to look forward to and fight for.
It is clear that both these teams are two of the best in Dundee and the surrounding area. They could well be facing off in plenty of other finals and semi finals in the future.
  • Full Time:
  • Fairmuir
  • 3-1
  • Montrose


1. Cameron Hendry
2. Evan Adam
3. Mark McCrory
5. Ben Tolmie
6. Seff Mohammed
7. Jay Kidd
8. Keir Murray
9. Jake Grady
10. Liam Clark
11. Jimmy Wilson
12. Ryan Smith
15. Kevin Taylor
16. Brian Harris
17. Ethan Samson
18. Josh Hamilton
1. Ross Duncan
2. Joe Paton
4. Gavin Johansen
5. Fraser Nelson
6. Matthew Nelson
7. Callum Bisset
8. Kieron Walker
9. Kieran Melvin
10. Ciaran McGeachy
11. Kerr Mustard
12. Fraser Jamieson
14. Kai Henderson
15. Fergus Alberts
18. Nathan Leslie
Star Player
Seff Mohammed – Had a great game shielding the back four. Was energetic and broke up the play at crucial moments throughout the match. Special mention also goes to Ben Tolmie who had a solid game at right back.
Kai Henderson – The main man in attack for Montrose in the cup-tie and certainly kept the defenders alert for the entire game. Unlucky not to come away with more than one goal.
Magic Moment
Smith’s goal – Counter-attacking play at its best. It only took a matter of seconds for the ball to get from one end of the pitch and into the back of the net at the other but the way it got there was excellent. Pinpoint passing, an excellent low cross and a super first time finish.
Henderson’s solo run in the first half – deserved a goal at the end of it all. A run to really get the crowd on its feet (if we had seats that is).
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments