Home My YFS

Kirkcaldy HS stun Bell Baxter HS with second half comeback

Written by 

Fixture: Kirkcaldy High School v Bell Baxter High School U16
Competition: Fife Cup - Semi Final
Venue: Kirkcaldy High School
Date: Tuesday 26th January 2016
Kirkcaldy High School progressed to the Fife Cup final after beating Bell Baxter High School on a stormy Tuesday afternoon in Kirkcaldy. With a final place up for grabs, neither team were holding back as a thrilling game was on show to warm up the frozen spectators.

The first significant chance of the game came early in the first half. BBHS won the ball in the centre circle after great work from Scott Petrie, however he then conceded possession cheaply and this allowed Kirkcaldy to burst forward and open the scoring. 

The Kirkcaldy side were defending well up until this point, and goalkeeper was rarely tested but was up to the task when called upon. However, he couldn't stop BBHS from equalising soon after as Steven Smith latched onto a long crossfield pass to finish well into the bottom corner.

BBHS were almost behind again though as pinball occurred on the edge of their box and the ball eventually bounced into the path of the Kirkcaldy striker. He looked destined to score, but for the goal-saving tackle of the BBHS defender. The scores were still level pegging.

With half time only around 10 minutes away, Kirkcaldy were awarded a penalty kick and handed the chance to get back in front. BBHS keeper Craig Burt stood tall and saved the well struck penalty, keeping the scores level.

From a Kirkcaldy corner, BBHS got themselves ahead in the game as they broke upfield in a pulsating counter attack, lead by Jonjay Reid. He finished off the superb move with a powerful shot that tickled the bottom corner of the goal.

With seconds remaining of the first half, BBHS extended their lead thanks to an unfortunate own goal from the Kirkcaldy goalkeeper.

Half Time: Kirkcaldy High School 1-3 Bell Baxter High School

BBHS looked to be very comfortable with their two goal advantage as they kept possession well at the beginning of the second half. However, things were about to change as Kirkcaldy really turned it on in the second period. Ten minutes into the half and the deficit was reduced and the score now at 3-2.

KHS showed strong tactics in the second half with a further four goals scored. Their defence managed to keep it tight at the back and kill any attacks BBHS were trying to launch. Kirkcaldy simply overran the BBHS boys and deservedly booked their place in the final of the Fife Cup. 

BBHS seemed to run out of steam in the second half as Kirkcaldy ran riot. A terrific comeback from Kirkcaldy nonetheless. Had BBHS managed to get a goal in the second half, it could of been a whole different story.

Full Time: Kirkcaldy High School 6-3 Bell Baxter High School

Login to post comments