Home My YFS

Dundee United victorious in Little Big Shot Youth Cup derby

Dundee United FC 1

A Duke 15, Own Goal 115.

Dundee FC 1

J Curran 17,
  • Dundee United FC 2-1 Dundee FC (After Extra Time)
  • Sunday, 20 December 2015
  • Tannadice Park
  • Under 20´s
  • Little Big Shot Youth Cup

Iain Proudfoot | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]o.uk

Jamie Robson’s deflected cross secured victory for Dundee United u20s over city rivals Dundee u20’s in the Little Big Shot Youth Cup 4th Round tie held at Tannadice Park.

With the score tied at 1-1 after 90 minutes extra- time was needed to separate the two neighbours. In the end it was the home side who grabbed the winner with 5 minutes to play, ensuring Dundee United and their fans would be the ones celebrating an early Christmas present.

Both sides reached this stage of the competition following impressive victories, Dundee overcoming a tricky tie with Hibernian u20’s 4-1 at Dens Park and Dundee United putting 5 past Alloa Athletic u20’s.

As you would expect from any contest between the two clubs, the match started at a ferocious pace with each team looking to lay down a marker in the early stages. The first clear chance went the way of the home side with Euan Spark glancing a header wide from Ali Coote’s looping delivery from a corner.

As Dundee United began to carve out opportunities Coote was again heavily involved, directing a Free-Kick wide of Kyle Gourlay in the Dundee goal. 

The early pressure from United paid dividends when they went ahead after 15 minutes,  Aaron Duke showing  superb awareness to direct Brad Smith’s flick-on  into the net.  Buoyed by taking the lead the home side went in search of a second and Gourlay had to look lively to smother Coote’s shot from distance.

Gourlay’s save would prove crucial as moments later Dundee were level, perseverance by  Jesse Curran allowed the Australian to pick up a loose ball and he showed good composure to slot the ball past John Donaldson after 17 minutes.  Having scored the equaliser Dundee continued to press and good link-up play between John Black and Josh Skelly brought out a fine save by Donaldson. 

  • Half Time:
  • Dundee United FC
  • 1-1
  • Dundee FC

Despite the setback of conceding the equaliser Dundee United began the second half brightly, substitute Justin Johnson won a Free-Kick in a dangerous area and Brad Smith’s saw his well-placed effort strike the upright. 

As the pressure continued Duke almost got his second of the afternoon testing Gourlay with a smart effort from distance. 

Having seen the  home side strike the post early in the second period Dundee struck the woodwork themselves mid-way through the second half,  Taylor Berry’s corner made its  way to Curran with his delivery evading  the attackers in the box and crashing off the bar to safety.

Just when it appeared the momentum was with the Dark Blues, United advanced up the park and created the best chance of the second period.  Johnson’s direct running released Jamie Robson into space and he brought out an excellent save from Gourlay, with the keeper also having to be alert to Dukes header on the rebound.

As the match continued clear goal scoring opportunities were limited and there was an inevitability the contest would be settled by extra-time or penalties. 

  • Full Time:
  • Dundee United FC
  • 1-1
  • Dundee FC
In contrast to the end of the second half the first period of extra-time produced a number of chances for both sides. Dundee United almost regained the lead when Johnson’s ball across goal found Duke at the back post, with the attacker prodding his effort wide of target.

As the pressure continued Logan Davie showed good awareness to release Smith who saw his shot rise over the bar. At the other end of the park Berry’s accurate delivery from a corner almost connected with the onrushing Curran.

Both sides began the second period of extra-time looking to avoid the lottery of penalty kicks with Dundee almost making the breakthrough, Skelly’s curling effort from distance rebounding off the underside of the bar. The fine margins of football were exposed moments later as Dundee United scored the winner after 115 minutes of pulsating action with Robson’s deflected cross evading Gourlay in the Dundee goal.

Overall the Cup-tie demonstrated the high level of talent throughout both clubs from the City of Discovery. Dundee can take heart from the performance as they look to move up the table in the SPFL Development League, whereas rivals Dundee United can look forward to continuing their quest for the Little Big Shot Youth Cup in the New Year.

Final Result: Dundee United FC 2-1 Dundee FC (After Extra Time)


Dundee United FC
Dundee FC
1.Josh Donaldson
2.Euan Spark
3.Jamie Robson
4.Cammy Ballantyne
5.Harry Souttar
6.Jassom Sukar
7.Graham Taylor
8.Brad Smith
9.Aaron Duke
10.Ali Coote
11.Scott Allardice
12.Reagan Tumilty
13.Ciaran Conway
14.Justin Johnson
15.Logan Davie
16.Greig McNaughton
1.Kyle Gourlay
2.Sean Gallacher
3.Sam Dryden
4.Ben Priest
5.Kerr Waddell
6.Jesse Curran
7.Ryan Gemmell
8.Calvin Colqhoun
9.Josh Skelly
10. John Black
11.Kyle Clark
12.David Beattie
14.Taylor Berry
15.Matthew Henvey
16.Mark Smith
17.Greg Warwick
Star Player
Dundee United FC
Dundee FC
Ali Coote - heavily influential in his sides attacking play throughout the contest.
Jesse Curran - showed good technical ability during the game and rewarded with a goal.
Magic Moment
Dundee United FC
Dundee FC
Jamie Robson deflected cross which secured his side a place in the next round. .
Josh Skelly's effort which cannoned off the bar and almost broke the deadlock in extra-time. .
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments