Home My YFS

Saints Go Marching On as Oban Edge Past Swifts

Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 1

Chalmers 54'

Oban Saints FC 3

Millar42', 63' McKay 50'
  • Saturday, 31 October 2015
  • Ballast Bank
  • Under 14´s
  • Scottish Youth FA Cup

Matthew Sigsworth | YFS Fife Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Oban Saints sealed their place in the fourth round of the Scottish Youth FA Cup on Saturday with a hard fought victory over Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts.
Two goals from Craig Millar either side of an Aaron McKay strike were enough to take the visitors through, after Blair Chalmers free kick had given the hosts brief hope of a comeback.
The first half did little to separate the two sides, with both sets of players looking more concerned with being tight at the back than they were about venturing forward.
Even so, there were still plenty of chances for either side to break the deadlock early on; and it was the visitors who had the best of the opening exchanges.
Aiden McPhee had the game’s first chance, firing a right footed shot just wide of the post before a missed clearance allowed Jamie Forgrieve to get a shot away, but the effort was well blocked by the Swifts defence.
Daniel Sloss then went closer still, rising highest in the area to meet a corner he sent a looping header towards the top corner, only to be denied by a wonderful one handed save at full stretch by Swift’s keeper Lewis Sinclair.
Oban continued to look the more dangerous of the two teams, and Jude Bain was next to try his luck, firing in a shot from close range straight at Sinclair who was able to parry the ball away to safety.
After weathering an early storm, Inverkeithing now looked to get forward themselves with a good move working the ball out to a wide position, but as Kyler Harrison sent a ball into the box, Jamie Turner was able to come out and collect comfortably.
Oban were also finding joy on the flanks, and after a McKay cross from the right had evaded everyone in the area, the ball fell to Millar who could only smash the ball against a defender.
As the half went on it was the visitors who continued to look the more threatening, but for all their possession they couldn’t find a way through a stubborn Swifts defence.
The lively Millar beat his marker before firing in a left footed shot from distance, but Sinclair was able to save and hold onto the ball.
Some more good play in a wide position from McPhee found him room for a cross, but the ball was played just out of reach for the waiting Jamie Forgrieve.
As the half drew to a close Millar again tried his luck from distance, but Sinclair was equal to it and saved comfortably.
There was one last chance on the stroke of half time for the hosts, as Kieran Young sent a hooked volley towards goal from the corner of the area, but the ball went high and wide as the sides went in level at the break.
  • Half Time:
  • Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts
  • 0-0
  • Oban Saints FC

The second half started much as the first had ended, with both sides looking to control the game while at the same time not committing too many players forward.
The first sight of goal came for the hosts, as Chalmers sent an ambitious free kick over the bar from some distance out.
Chalmers was then in the right place at the right time in his own area, getting his head onto a dangerous looking corner to flick the ball away from the waiting attacker who looked certain to score.
The deadlock was finally broken not long after, when a long ball to the far side of the penalty area found Millar unmarked and in enough space to take a touch before firing the ball left footed passed Sinclair, who despite getting a hand to it was unable to prevent the goal.
The game now began to open up, and the lead could have been doubled just moments later when McPhee went inches away from connecting with a through ball, with Sinclair able to rush off his line and beat the attacker to clear.
Euan Finlay then came closer still, stretching to get on the end of a wonderful pass from McPhee but only managing to steer the ball onto the foot of the post.
The second goal did soon come, however, and it was a lovely move from the visitors who were now beginning to step up the pace.
McKay showed good movement to find space in the Swifts defence, and after he was smartly played in behind the line showed good composure to slide the ball under the advancing Sinclair.
Just as it looked like Oban might go on to win comfortably, Swifts were suddenly thrown a lifeline as Chalmers stepped up to dispatch a well taken free kick and drag his side back into the game.
Any hope of a comeback was short lived though, as Oban hit straight back to seal their place in the next round.
As Inverkeithing poured forward looking for an equaliser, Millar was able to exploit the space left at the back, and after being picked out unmarked in the middle was again able to take a touch before rifling the ball under the goalkeeper to the delight of his teammates.
It was a bitter pill to swallow for the home side, and things could have got even worse in the closing stages as Oban threatened to score what would have been a harsh fourth against their hosts.
Sinclair chased a loose ball to the edge of his area but was beaten to it by McKay, who was unable to find the target from a tight angle, firing his shot into the side netting.
The final chance of the game fell to Finlay, who found himself completely unmarked in the penalty area, but after shifting the ball onto his right foot he could only blaze his effort over the bar.
  • Full Time:
  • Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts
  • 1-3
  • Oban Saints FC


Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts
Oban Saints FC
1. Lewis Sinclair
3. Innes McMenamin
4. Blair Chalmers
5. Kyler Harrison
6. Ronan Hall
7. Cieran Nicol
8. Lewis Nimmo
9. Kieran Young
10. Ben King
11. Miller Robertson
12. Cameron Robertson
16. Callum Laydon
17. Owen Bathgate
1. Jamie Turner
2. Kenni Grey
3. Daniel Sloss
4. Euan Logan
5. Jude Bain
6. Jamie Forgrieve
7. Euan Finlay
8. Cameron Clark
9. Aiden McPhee
10. Gavin Forgrieve
11. Aaron McKay
15. Craig Millar
18. Blair MacFarlane
Star Player
Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts
Oban Saints FC
Blair Chalmers - Chalmers was a commanding presence at the back for his side. He was solid at the back and scored his sides goal with a well taken free kick. A true captains performace!
Craig Millar - The magic man in the middle, Millar got two goals for his side and looked a danger whenever he picked the ball up.
Magic Moment
Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts
Oban Saints FC
A superb save from Lewis Sinclair early in the first half to deny Daniel Sloss, one handed and at full stretch to turn the ball away!
Aaron McKay's goal was a superb team effort. Good possession and a well taken finish!
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments