Home My YFS

Late cup final drama between Harris Academy and St John’s High School

Harris Academy 2

Dyer 9, Own Goal 78,

St John’s RC High School 3

Carroll 16, Nicholas Scott 71, Curran 79
  • Friday, 29 May 2015
  • Whitton Park
  • Under 16´s
  • Robert Caira Memorial Trophy

Alasdair Hooper | YFS Dundee Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

St John’s High School sealed victory in the Robert Caira Memorial Trophy following some late drama at Whitton Park. Harris Academy had taken an early lead, through Jack Dyer, before Taylor Carroll equalized for St John’s in the 16th minute. However in the final 10 minutes of the match it all kicked off. With nine minutes remaining Nicholas Scott scored to give St John’s a 2-1 lead. They seemed to be holding on for the victory but they conceded two minutes from time through an own goal. With the tie now looking like penalties would be needed to settle it St John’s won it in the final minute. Lewis Curran managed to head home following a Dean Currie cross to seal a 3-2 cup win, much to Harris Academy’s despair.

The opening stages of the game were very even as both sides searched to gain a strong foothold in the match. In the ninth minute a breakthrough arose as Harris took the lead. Jack Dyer made a great solo run straight through the St John’s backline before slotting home into the bottom right corner.

In the 14th minute St John’s came close when the ball was laid off to Dean Currie about 20 yards from goal. The St John’s number 11 bulleted an effort towards goal but it flew wide of the post.

Two minutes later St John’s were back level. Scott Cole delivered a corner kick into the penalty box and it landed right on the head of Taylor Carroll. The St John’s defender successfully dispatched his header into the back of the net to make the score 1-1.   

In the 21st minute Gavin Ritchie played Nathan Scott in on goal. Scott was denied, however, by Harris keeper Calum Langdale who dived into feet and managed to divert the ball away from danger. Ciaran Conway was then on hand to clear the ball out of play before Scott could tap in near the goal line.

Just a minute later Nathan Scott was in on goal again. However, Langdale was up to the challenge once more as he made an exceptional save at close range to deny him a goal. With time ticking into the 32nd minute Scott was through once again but the ball was cleared successfully by Callum Dallas.

Shortly before half time Nathan Scott linked up well with Dean Currie on the right side. Currie then took a strike at goal but Langdale managed to parry it out.

The half time whistle soon arrived with both teams still level. Each side went back into the dressing rooms to plot how to take control of this game.

  • Half Time:
  • Harris Academy
  • 1-1
  • St John’s RC High School

The second half was well matched, and well fought, as Harris and St John’s attempted to create opportunities at goal. In the 47th minute St John’s Saul Cooney came close as he headed over the bar from a corner kick.

With the game becoming a midfield battle the attempts at goal started to take a hit. Both sides had a few half chances but none came to fruition. However as the game entered the 71st minute it exploded into life. Nicholas Scott was able to latch onto a terrific cross at the far post. He managed to successfully head the ball home to give St John’s a 2-1 lead. They looked well on their way to winning the cup.

Harris, however, had other ideas. A free kick was delivered straight into the box and was eventually bundled in via a St John’s player. It was now 2-2 with just two minutes to go and it looked as if penalties were on the cards.

To complete the drama St Johns still managed to find enough time to take back the lead in the 79th minute. Dean Currie delivered an excellent cross from the right, which landed right on the head of Lewis Curran. The St Johns wide man then executed a perfect looping header that sailed over Langdale and nestled in the back of the net. With Harris players’ heads in their hands the St Johns players wheeled away celebrating their third goal with hardly any time remaining.

Seconds away from the conclusion of the game Harris came so close to getting a third. A cross from the right very nearly found its way into the top corner of the goal but it was clawed away by St Johns goalie Michael Ellwood.

Shortly after the game ended and St Johns could celebrate another cup win. This one was by no means easy as Harris Academy pushed them all the way. Credit should be given to both sides but, for St Johns, it is another trophy to add to their repertoire.   

Youth Football Scotland: Website Photos &emdash;
  • Full Time:
  • Harris Academy
  • 2-3
  • St John’s RC High School


Harris Academy
St John’s RC High School
1. Calum Langdale
2. Jack Dyer
3. Jack Purves
4. Michael O’Rourke
5. Ross McGregor
6. Bruce Kerr
7. Kieran Paton
8. Cameron Tansey
10. Sam Pirrie
11. Callum Dallas
12. Sean Mohan
14. David Robertson
15. Ciaran Conway
17. Connor Bell
1. Michael Ellwood
2. Nicholas Scott
3. Taylor Carroll
4. Logan Irvine
5. Kieran Conway
6. Scott Cole
7. Gavin Ritchie
8. Saul Cooney
9. Craig Kemlo
10. Nathan Scott
11. Dean Currie
12. Steven Sinclair
14. Lewis Curran
15. Liam Thomson
17. Kazim Ahmed
Star Player
Harris Academy
St John’s RC High School
Calum Langdale – commanding, vocal and a good organizer of his defence. Made some cracking saves to keep Harris in the game in the first half.
Lewis Curran – great work down the left throughout the game and scored the all-important winner. Not an easy one to put away either.
Magic Moment
Harris Academy
St John’s RC High School
Harris’ second goal – An equaliser right at the death. We all thought this would be going to penalties when that went in.
Curran’s winner – We were wrong… penalties were not needed. An excellent goal to seal the cup win.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments